Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

Turbo Kits, why not?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2001, 06:08 PM
Supporter/Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '89 Z28tt
Engine: Dart Little M Twin Turbo
Transmission: T56
BurntBlues - Take a look at http://www.skulte.com/turbo.html . I've kept a fairly detailed log as to my thought process and building progress. There should be enough reading there for a while - get the books mentioned as well.

Andris
Old 03-30-2001, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: 355 mildly modified
Transmission: 700R4 fully modified
cool, thanks
mike

------------------
1989 RS.. Newly installed 350,bored out 30 over, Hypereutectic pistons, double roller cam, double roller timing chain, accel wires, blue streak cap and rotor, rapidfire plugs, chevy caprice 350 chip, 200* fan switch.
Old 03-30-2001, 07:44 PM

Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: 355 mildly modified
Transmission: 700R4 fully modified
What about doing it on a TBI? what differences would I have to make?

thanks,
Mike

------------------
1989 RS.. Newly installed 350,bored out 30 over, Hypereutectic pistons, double roller cam, double roller timing chain, accel wires, blue streak cap and rotor, rapidfire plugs, chevy caprice 350 chip, 200* fan switch.
Old 11-21-2001, 02:47 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by burntblues:
what differences?

thanks,
Mike
</font>
What he said!!!

------------------
92 Camaro 305 TBI Automatic
https://www.thirdgen.org/rides/index...ew&rideid=6100
Old 11-21-2001, 05:40 PM
Supporter/Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '89 Z28tt
Engine: Dart Little M Twin Turbo
Transmission: T56
You'll need different intake piping from the turbos (or intercooler) to the throttlbody, since that's in a different location. The rest theoretically should be the same, as long as the TBI can force in enough fuel (it is much lower pressure).

A.

------------------
Andris Skulte
Skulte Performance Designs
Z28tt-89 IROC T56 DFI Twin Turbo
http://www.skulte.com

Old 11-23-2001, 05:28 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1992 B4C 1LE
Engine: Proaction 412, Accel singleplane
Transmission: built 700R4 w/custom converter
Axle/Gears: stock w/later 4th gen torsen pos
I will not begin to disagree with the performance achieved with turbochargers, they are the most efficient horsepower adder we have seen (short of nitrous which has no parasitic loss).The best ones are outstanding and are among the fastest cars we have ever seen, But these were all custom built systems. But as always cost becomes the first factor, the second is performance, third would be ease of installation and tuning, and forth is availability. As far as cost is concerned it seems strange that most persons are not afraid of the cost, it is roughly 25%-40% higher than the supercharger kits, kit for kit. Performance is the next factor and in my opinion it is difficult for the manufacturers of turbo kits to package a "right out of the box" kit that fits the needs of the each end user. The thing that is sacrificed is performance. As an Incon dealer we have yet to duplicate the performance of the "out of the box" supercharger systems with an "out of the box" twin turbo kit (a deficit of nearly 100-horse power). For installation; I can install a supercharger kit in about 8 hours (10 for an intercooled, self contained oiler). we had about 100 hours into the turbo system install. Next we discuss tuning the fuel system up grades and things such as FMU and it’s tuning are left up to you on the Incon turbo system. In other words even though they are more expensive they are not included as they are in the semi-pretuned supercharger kits, nor are the computer modifications as are in some of the supercharger kits. Now we come the last and biggest factor, availability. An average wait time for a twin turbo kit could be 8 to 18 months. I have had people call me with horror stories about waiting for 2 years for their kit. In most cases it is only a weeks wait before shipping commences on the supercharger kits. I just think that telling every body that a twin turbo in kit form for third gens is goanna fix it all is kinda silly. I would like to see someone build stainless steel turbo headers for third gens without the kit, without the turbos, so that those of us that like to spend alot of time and will have to spend $5000 anyway are not stuck in someone elses cookie cutter idea of what a turbo third gen should be. so we can all build really fast cars. there is another company, Turbo Driven Concepts please e-mail them at contact@turbodrivenconcepts.com ive talked to him and i think he would build some if we pressure him enough. tom