Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

Just bought a VORTECH...need some help

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z Camaro
Engine: 350 (5.7L)
Transmission: 700R4 (Auto)
Just bought a VORTECH...need some help

hey all...just purchased a 'Vortech centrifical V1 S-trim Supercharger kit' off ebay and will be getting it installed soon...i also purchased an accel superram set up with the high flow runners & high flow manifold... had a few questions.. i am having these professionally installed, i do not have the know-how to attempt such a serious installation..I would like to know what kind of power can i expect to make (hp/torque) with the vortech charger and the superram setup on a stock L98 350 (only mods are edelbrock headers and a 3 inch flowmaster exhaust) ?? I was told by the seller, everyhting I needed is included in the kit...this is a copy of what Im receiving:

"Vortech centrifical V1 S-trim Supercharger kit for a small block chevy with or with out TPI. I used this on a 350 with a accel Superram. The auction includes the V1 supercharger It does have a few nicks and a belt rub mark but nothing that would hurt the performance. It did come off of a running engine with no problems, I decided to put the car back to the stock before I sell it. The supercharger is making anywhere from 6-8psi of boost which is fine for any stock or modified engine. It can be upgraded with a driffernt pully to make more boost. (I beleive it is capable of making up to 20psi) It also includes the Vortech aluminum Air discharge, It has a Throttle body adapter welded on so there are no air leaks. It will also come with the nessasary engine brakets, air inlet tube and a real K&N filter It will aslo come with a crank Pully, spacer, Belt tensioner, both belts, silicone adapter, clamps, hardware, and instructions. you can also see in the pics that it will also come with steel braided oil feed and return lines (new kits have rubber lines). all in all it is a very nice kit that will add roughly 100hp or more to you ride just by bolting it on. Which by the way should only take about 8hrs or so to install. (fastest way I know how to add a 100hp)."

my question is will i need to purchase anything else before i bring this to my shop for installation? Any RECOMENDED items additionally i am all ears on hearing about..such as a boost controller, better throttle body, feul related items, etc, etc, I need to know anything that is not already included. I want to make sure i have EVERYTHING in order before i go for the install-- thank you in advance
Old 05-08-2006, 04:32 PM

Car: 09 Cobalt SS Sedan. 92 Z28 vert
Engine: 2.0T EFR6758; 5.0TT T3/T4 8psi
Transmission: F40; 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.76 LSD; 3.23 posi
I didn't notice a fuel management unit (FMU) or MSD boost retard box (BTM) mentioned. Those are typical tuning methods for vortech supercharger kits. Without proprer tuning modifications your engine will most likley be damaged.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:47 PM

Car: 1987 IROC-Z Camaro
Engine: 350 (5.7L)
Transmission: 700R4 (Auto)
can you recommend or post some links to a suitable FMU? other than that and the MSD BTM ignition, any other perices necessary?
Old 05-08-2006, 05:04 PM

Car: 09 Cobalt SS Sedan. 92 Z28 vert
Engine: 2.0T EFR6758; 5.0TT T3/T4 8psi
Transmission: F40; 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.76 LSD; 3.23 posi
I believe Vortech's website sells both. you may want to contact their tech dept. for info on your application (i.e. your car with their S/C)
Old 05-08-2006, 05:22 PM

Car: 1992 TRANSAM 1989 FORMULA 350
Engine: L-98 350
Transmission: FIRM SHIFTING 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Hello RiggsLW81, I was watching that on stuff E-Bay. Glad someone on this site won it.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:26 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
Car: '88 Formula, '94 Corvette, '95 Bird
Engine: LC9, LT1
Transmission: TKX, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, 3.23
Originally Posted by RiggsLW81
can you recommend or post some links to a suitable FMU? other than that and the MSD BTM ignition, any other perices necessary?
If you decide you want to run sy/ty code I have a 2-bar map for sale.

-- Joe
Old 05-15-2006, 06:56 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: TPIS II Supercharged w/Nitrous
Transmission: 700R4 Probuilt
Axle/Gears: 3:73 Richmond 12 Bolt
I hace a Vortech S/C on my 87 IROC 355. I am running a 749 ecm and took off the FMU and Retard box and Control ****. Will sell for $50 if interested.

ibmtech@twcny.rr.com
Old 05-20-2006, 07:37 PM

How do you guys "trick" the knock sensor so it doesnt throw the engine light and retard the timing with that supercharger whine? I have a set of gear drives Im ready to install but Im worried about the knock sensor causing the engine to run poorly
Old 05-21-2006, 03:25 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: too many ...
I would say do an aftermarket cam at the same time along with some new valvetrain if possible. One of my biggest gripes about the S-Trim V1 on my stock L98 was the mismatch in powerbands. Vortech superchargers are centrifugal, so they build boost in the upper RPM's. Stock TPI is a LTR setup designed for low RPM torque, an effect of the stock heads, stock cam, and stock intake. So by the time the supercharger gets going the TPI is getting close to falling on its face. I think the powerband on boost is only like 1,500-2000 RPM long. In my opinion, changing the intake and cam are good steps to try and match up the powerbands. You want the motor to make power in the upper RPM's. If you did aftermarket heads too it would be even better but thats probably alot more money than you want to spend.

Aside from that I agree with the rest here, you need to address tuning and fuel. I would actually spend some time researching that before you go have the install done. Don't jump into it and then end up having regrets. There are ALOT of different ways to accomplish both, you don't have to do it the way Vortech does it. But it all depends on your situation and what you want. My current setup is done how the Vortech Kit comes (I bought the car this way), it has the FMU w/ secondary inline pump (and stock pump in the tank), MSD 6BTM ignition w/ the timing retard and a stock 730 ECM w/ stock chip. I'm getting ready to move away from this setup for various reasons. The current setup works, but I want more control and the ability for more precise tuning. So all depends on what you want.

Also, be prepared for your drivetrain to be stressed. Might want to consider a shift kit and tranny cooler for that 700R4.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 85 Likes on 72 Posts
Car: 87TA 87Form 71Mach1 93FleetWB 04Cum
I sure hope that you ran that by your shop before you decide to show up with some conglomeration of ebay and “other” parts for them to install… If not you’re guaranteed some combination of a lot of hours of install for them to “figure out how all this crap goes together and to make it work together,” and/or a pissed off shop.

If they actually have a clue and give a **** about getting it running right you might want to bring by what you have and ask them to fill in the blanks with parts that they like/are comfortable with using, it may cost you more in parts but I bet you save more then the difference in labor.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by DodgeTech
How do you guys "trick" the knock sensor so it doesnt throw the engine light and retard the timing with that supercharger whine? I have a set of gear drives Im ready to install but Im worried about the knock sensor causing the engine to run poorly
Not going to happen with a Vortech. Never even heard of that. If you have any sort of drive like.. say... a PJ 'Quiet' drive, it'll be fine as long as you follow the installation instructions.

I agree with the above about the parts, no idea what you might get as opposed to the kit from Vortech. Maybe if you post up a pic of what you got, can narrow down what may or may not be missing.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:25 PM

There is no instructions on that. Not even made to go be installed on an engine that is PCM controlled. Knock sensors throw a voltage reading when they are set off by an abnormal engine sound or tone, thats how they throw the engine light on and usualy read something like "sensor voltage too high" Ill prob just unplug it an go from there