Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

Carb Modifications for Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2001, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carb Modifications for Turbo

Does anyone know what has to be done to a Holley carb to handle the pressure from a turbocharger? Eventually I'm planning to go back to EFI, but I've found a good turbo kit for a good price, and I'm thinking about installing it onto my Holley 650 dp. I've heard that the floats need to be replaced, but I haven't been able to find any more info. Thanks.

------------------
91 Firebird Formula. Converted to carb. Holley 650 dp. Forged Flat top pistons. ZZ-9 Cam. Sportsman II Heads.
175 shot NOS, 700r4 w/ 3000 rpm converter and 3.73s in the back. Headers w/ full dual exhaust. 27 inch Hoosiers.
Old 06-10-2001, 01:00 AM

I think that it depends on if you run a hat or if you put the entire carb in a box. I would suggest that you call the carb shop or some other carb specific shop & ask them what they think. They set up carbs all day long & they will be able to steer you in the right direction. You know that they are going to want to sell you a new carb but the info is great.

BW

------------------
Bobalos
aka Bob W.
www.r71camaro.homestead.com
r71chevy@earthlink.net
<><
Old 06-10-2001, 02:26 AM
Supreme Member

I called the carb shop about that earlier on in my buildup. They quoted me $900-1050 for a suitable carb...total ripoff.

go here and sign up....you'll gain alot of info.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BLOWTHRU

------------------
"American made baby. 100% American iron. The muscle among the masses. My hero. Yep, you can take your ergonomically designed, space age, computer controlled, 4 door, cup holding map lighted split double wishbone split fold down retractable cargo covered moon roof piece of transportation and keep it. For I have felt the thunder. And I know the difference!"
JSP Motorsports
ICON Motorsports
Old 06-10-2001, 06:28 PM

jeez jester. sounds like you've never really bought anything that was worth what you paid for it. how's the new turbo system working out for you so far?
Old 06-11-2001, 12:21 PM

Ouch, $1000 for a carb is a bit stiff. Were they able to help you with the carb @ all though, or did you get the big brick wall (no real info, just the buy a carb from us & it will work)?

How is the car running? from the sounds of it you have a TT blow through system? what are you using for manifolds? Are you the dude with the S10 manifolds turned up side down, if so I think that I have seen a shot of your setup w/o the hat on the carb.

BW

------------------
Bobalos
aka Bob W.
r71chevy@earthlink.net
<><
Old 06-11-2001, 02:03 PM
Supreme Member

Yeah thats me. It's running alright...except for blowing smoke everywhere....have to check out that turbo more.

They gave me some info, but when it came to the carb they basically said they had to do it. They did say I could send in my carb, they'd work on it and send it back for $600 or so..I forget exactly. There really isn't that much to it...except for sealing the throttle shafts..for that I think they said they'd charge about $200. I've heard that [people have been fine without that up to 15psi +/-, and I managed to rig up something myself for about $20. I put up pics of that here:
http://www.iroczone.com/jester/Misc.html

The easy way is to enclose the whole carb inside a box so yo don;t have to worry about sealing them.

------------------
"American made baby. 100% American iron. The muscle among the masses. My hero. Yep, you can take your ergonomically designed, space age, computer controlled, 4 door, cup holding map lighted split double wishbone split fold down retractable cargo covered moon roof piece of transportation and keep it. For I have felt the thunder. And I know the difference!"
JSP Motorsports
ICON Motorsports
Old 06-11-2001, 02:17 PM

Cool, Sounds like they were able to help you a bit, although it was kinda indirect.

BW

------------------
Bobalos
aka Bob W.
r71chevy@earthlink.net
<><
Old 06-11-2001, 03:49 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jester:
The easy way is to enclose the whole carb inside a box so yo don;t have to worry about sealing them.

</font>

At that point you should only need the solid nitrophyl floats, right? I would think a blowthrough setup would be more efficient than a sealed box, though.

I checked out your site. I like the way you solved some of the problems. I think I'm going to stay with a single turbo, just to keep the plumbing frustration down, but you gave me some good ideas. Especially the alternator location. I thought it would fit there, but I wasn't sure. Another option I've heard of is the draw-through type, but I know damn well that I haven't got enough hood clearance. I'll have to work on that.
Old 06-11-2001, 04:00 PM
Supreme Member

yeah..just nitro floats for that.
don't forget you also need to boost reference your fuel suppliy tho..so it gains pressure as you gain boost.

Draw throughs are alot simpler in alot of ways...but packaging it is a bitch.

------------------
JSP Motorsports
ICON Motorsports
Old 06-11-2001, 06:29 PM

What turbo kit are you looking at Formula?

------------------
1990 GTA
-355 carb'd, Richmond 4.10, Auburn posi, Eibach Pro-kit, Koni adjustables all around, Alston SFC's
-150 nitrous shot
-Leather!
-Stereo details coming soon
Old 06-11-2001, 07:05 PM

I've got a line on an old Rajay kit, but it's a small compressor, and I'm not sure how well it'll work on my motor. 8 lbs max boost. The same guy has a TO4B, and I'm considering building my own kit. Eventually, I'm going back to EFI, but I can get either of these units cheap, so I'm going to set it up through the carb for now.

------------------
91 Firebird Formula. Converted to carb. Holley 650 dp. Forged Flat top pistons. ZZ-9 Cam. Sportsman II Heads.
175 shot NOS, 700r4 w/ 3000 rpm converter and 3.73s in the back. Headers w/ full dual exhaust. 27 inch Hoosiers.
Old 06-11-2001, 07:07 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jester:
yeah..just nitro floats for that.
don't forget you also need to boost reference your fuel suppliy tho..so it gains pressure as you gain boost.

Draw throughs are alot simpler in alot of ways...but packaging it is a bitch.

</font>

I got lucky there. When I converted over to carb, I used a Mallory AFPR that happens to be boost sensitive. Didn't even realize it until today.
Old 06-17-2001, 09:04 PM

I have used a 650 carb on a 383 and 12lbs of boost. All I did was put the nitrophyll floats in it and remove the choke horn, also you'll have to jet way up in the back. I had 73's in the front and 92's in the back.

OH don't think the 650 is not big enough. It ran 9.87 at 134 in a 70 camaro, with a p600b.
Email me if you need advice on a carb.

------------------
82z28 (currently building)
70.5 camaro
383 with D-2 procharger
best time 9.38@148
Old 06-18-2001, 08:54 AM
Supporter/Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '89 Z28tt
Engine: Dart Little M Twin Turbo
Transmission: T56
The major drawback on the draw-through is when you close the throttle blades, the turbo intake is in vacuum, and tends to suck oil through the center section shaft seals. YMMV.