Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

Window switch necessary for 700r4 & NO2?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2001, 01:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window switch necessary for 700r4 & NO2?

I have an automatic 1992 Camaro RS...I have heard all sorts of things, but I figured here I'd hear the real deal. Now, I'm putting a 120 HP NOS kit in my TBI RS, but I've come to understand that it's not a good thing to spray while shifting gears, and a window switch will shut off the nitrous for me so as to save my poor little tranny. Well, what should I do? Where can I get a decently priced one? Thanks!
Old 06-05-2001, 10:05 AM

I've been spraying through the shifts for two years with no problems. Just make sure your tranny's been prepped to handle it. A good shift kit will do the trick. 120 shot on a TBI shouldn't be too much for the 700r4. I didn't start running into problems until I built the motor up, and started spraying 175. Then it started slipping on the 2-3 shift.
Old 06-05-2001, 04:06 PM

Where can I get a decent shift kit that's inexpensive? And thanks for the reply. =D
Old 06-05-2001, 05:35 PM

TransGo makes the best shift kit. There's a lot of places you can get it from. Try these guys. http://www.pro-built.net/products/transgo.html

Old 06-05-2001, 08:33 PM

I agree with formula on the shift kit. Those guys are awesome. As far as the window switch, I use one to prevent spraying just in case I hit my rev limiter. I set it 300rpm below my rev limiter but it is right above my shift point so that I spray through shifts. I use a 150 shot on my 700R4 with 153k+ miles.

Jeff
Old 06-06-2001, 09:17 AM

A window switch will not shut the juice off, unless your RPM's drop enough between shifts. If you want to drop it out between shifts, I would use a button on the steering wheel.

------------------
1992 Pontiac Firebird 350/Six Speed
1987 Toyota Pickup 383/500+ HP
Old 06-06-2001, 07:17 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mark W. Winning:
A window switch will not shut the juice off, unless your RPM's drop enough between shifts. If you want to drop it out between shifts, I would use a button on the steering wheel.

</font>
Hmmm.. Yes it does. That is the whole purpose of a window switch is to provide a window to operate the nitrous (or anything else) in. It gives you a lower RPM limit and an upper RPM limit. I would never use something that would require me to shut off the nitrous manually on the top end. What happens if you miss the button? or forget to hit it? Making the activation and safety of nitrous all automatic is the way to go. Other than the arming switch everything else should be automatic.

Jeff
Old 06-07-2001, 03:10 AM

Well, what's worth it? I want to spend the least money here; if a shift kit costs less than a window switch, I'll get that, or vice versa. Anyone know where I can get a nice window switch? I just don't want to kill the transmission.

------------------
1992 Camaro RS 5.0L
-
Performance mods
120 HP NOS kit
Flowmaster cat-back exhaust
Hedman street headers
SLP cold air kit
MSD 6A ignition

Audio
Sony Xplod CDX-M610 head unit
Pioneer 2-way 4x6 front speakers
Pioneer 3-way 6x9 rear speakers
12 inch Pioneer VCCS PRO subwoofer
QLogic sealed box
Kicker ZR360 amplifier
Old 06-07-2001, 07:38 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NavyVette:
Hmmm.. Yes it does. That is the whole purpose of a window switch is to provide a window to operate the nitrous (or anything else) in. It gives you a lower RPM limit and an upper RPM limit. I would never use something that would require me to shut off the nitrous manually on the top end. What happens if you miss the button? or forget to hit it? Making the activation and safety of nitrous all automatic is the way to go. Other than the arming switch everything else should be automatic.

Jeff
</font>
Jeff, I did not think about setting the upper rpm shutoff to just below my shift point. I guess that would turn it off for a split second during the shifting process. I have mine set 200 above my shift point so the nos will be off in case the motor even heads to the rev limiter.

------------------
Old 06-07-2001, 07:58 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BahamutRS:
Well, what's worth it? I want to spend the least money here; if a shift kit costs less than a window switch, I'll get that, or vice versa. Anyone know where I can get a nice window switch? I just don't want to kill the transmission.

</font>
Personally, I don't uses a window switch. My kit is all manual. Hell, I don't even have a rev limiter. IMHO, the shift kit is much more crucial if you want the tranny to survive under N2O. Spraying through the weak, stock shifts is a really good way to toast clutch packs.
Old 06-07-2001, 09:18 AM

As far as the window switch, I use one to prevent spraying just in case I hit my rev limiter. I set it 300rpm below my rev limiter but it is right above my shift point so that I spray through shifts.
Jeff
</font>
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mark W. Winning: Jeff, I did not think about setting the upper rpm shutoff to just below my shift point. I guess that would turn it off for a split second during the shifting process. I have mine set 200 above my shift point so the nos will be off in case the motor even heads to the rev limiter.</font>
Mark- Actually, I have mine set-up exactly the same as you (see my first post) which is the way to go IMO. I just read my previous post and I didn't really mean to sound that harsh. Sorry about that.

Formula- I personnely would never use my system manually but if it works for you that's great.

BahamutRS- I would get the safeties for the nitrous operation first but it's ultimately up to you.

Jeff
Old 06-07-2001, 10:48 AM

Formula- I personnely would never use my system manually but if it works for you that's great.

</font>

I just trust my finger on the button more than a piece of electronics that can fail. If I screw up, it's my fault. If a window switch malfunctions, a high dollar motor is shot because of a low dollar part.
Old 06-08-2001, 08:55 AM

No problem Jeff, I did not take it as harsh. I just never thought about it the way you did. I just keep thinking that, with my setup, when I shift and my RPMS drop, there are still inside the "window" and the spray is still on. I run my setup the way it is, because I lost a u-joint leaving on the spray on night. The memory tach recalled 9200 rpm! I used a broom to clean up the mess.

------------------