Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

Willie w/in

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2001, 11:10 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 2000 Trans Am
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Willie w/in

Do you have any pictures of your engine now with the superfueler on it? Im interested to see how that turned out!

------------------
-86 IROC
a few mods
this years goal: 10.50 @ 130+ mph
-=ICON Motorsports=-
Old 05-03-2001, 01:43 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1987 Z28 Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 5-speed
I don't know that photopoint works any more so I won't attempt to download the image here. Instead, I e-mailed you a pic of the Superfueler and custom airbox (just finished it).

In my e-mail to you, I forgot to mention that the airbox seals against my cowl induction hood, making it a true cowl induction system.

Willie

[This message has been edited by Willie (edited May 03, 2001).]
Old 05-03-2001, 02:32 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 2000 Trans Am
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Here ya go!
From my server!

I like it! It looks pretty good man!
Old 05-03-2001, 02:43 PM
TGO Supporter

Cool.... Thanks Guido!!

Willie
Old 05-04-2001, 12:14 AM
RMK

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 87 IROC
Engine: modded LB9
Transmission: Pro Built 700R4
Does anyone have any info on that superfueler such as injector size, cost etc?

Willie, how fast are you running now?

Rob

------------------
1987 IROC-Z Auto (LB9)
Black/grey interior with the stance of a streetfighter
I like to think of her as Arnold Schwartzeneger in a dinner suit

Mods
Custom exhaust. 4 Inch pipe from the headders all the way back to a single muffler at the rear. No Cat. K&Ns, AFPR and Air foil.

Future mods:
Cam change
New torque converter
New heads (maybe corvette L98)
Strut brace
Sub frame connectors
Ram Air

Current G-Tech times
0-60mph 6.26 seconds
1/4 14.74@100.2mph
Old 05-04-2001, 12:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Guido:
Here ya go!
From my server!

I like it! It looks pretty good man!
</font>
Holy SH*T Willie!!!!!Now thats an intake
Awesome.

Old 05-04-2001, 03:14 AM
Supreme Member

i'm curious to know how well that is going to work on the LTR setup...seems like a little too much runner for all the fuel to get to the chamber
Old 05-04-2001, 07:32 AM
TGO Supporter

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RMK:
Does anyone have any info on that superfueler such as injector size, cost etc?</font>
The Carroll Superfueler goes for $735. It straddles three 30# injectors on top of the plenum and injects through a 1/8-inch thick plate sandwiched between the throttle body and plenum (very similar to the TPI nitrous system). This system can be used with ANY size injector, not just 30#'ers. The peak-and-hold injector driver is usually installed somewhere in the engine compartment, while the fuel curve generator (FCG) must be somewhere in the passenger compartment. I'll have to post some pics of it sometime. The FCG has to be calibrated with a low and high-end setpoint (i.e. 1 to 10 pounds boost). There are 10 individual calibrations (with LED's for each) that are equidistant between the low and high-ends. These calibrations can be anywhere from zero to 100 percent duty cycle for the three additional injectors.

For more information, request a free Superfueler catalog from Carroll (973.835.1705). It is definitely a neat system with infinite adjustments to trim air/fuel ratios WITHOUT raising fuel pressure. This allows me to retain my stock sized injectors without overkill (killing low-end throttle response) and having to significantly lower my fuel pressure to compensate for larger injectors.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Willie, how fast are you running now?</font>
Don't know yet. I was "pullied" by ATI for 10 pounds @ 6,000 rpm. I wanted 15 pounds but was talked into starting conservative (a good idea). So far, I've only taken it to 5,000 (the tranny shifts at this point) and get only 6 pounds boost at this point. When I run at the track, I will manually shift at 6,000. I doubt I'll get 10 pounds even at this point, BUT I've got the next smaller size pulley to experiment with next time. Eventually, I plan on reducing pulley size until I'm running 11's.

89Procharged,
The Superfueler does seem to function properly even with the long tube runner setup. The plate it uses injects fuel into the plenum in the exact same manner as a plate nitrous system -- which has been proven by many on this board to work great!!

Willie
Old 05-04-2001, 02:35 PM

Willie what kind of a hood are you using to feed that air cleaner? A cowl? or maybe a camaro SS replica.
Also how do you tune the superfueler? does it run off of a computer such as DFI or what?
I've never seen that before and it looks prety cool, it kind of gives you the end result of running the smaller injecters for the regular driving and then open up the 30lb'ers for the big power. Very cool, very streetable. I wsh I had an engine that needed something like that.
Old 05-04-2001, 02:38 PM

Whoops just reread, the fuel curve generator runs off of boost pressure is that correct?
Thanks
Old 05-04-2001, 02:55 PM
TGO Supporter

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CanadianBeast:
Willie what kind of a hood are you using to feed that air cleaner? A cowl? or maybe a camaro SS replica.</font>
It's a 2-inch cowl induction from Glasstek. The airbox is slightly tilted so the air filter leans towards the rear. The weatherstripping on the top plate fits snugly against the hood, which makes the cowl induction completely functional for fresh air intake.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Also how do you tune the superfueler? does it run off of a computer such as DFI or what?</font>
Without getting too detailed, tuning is done at each boost setpoint by O2 sensor voltage. This allows custom tailoring of the fuel curve at each setpoint. The FCG (or fuel curve generator) is the unit that mounts inside the vehicle and kind of resembles a stereo EQ. It is the "computer" you refer to. Each setpoint has 16 positions, from zero to 100 percent injector duty cycle.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I've never seen that before and it looks pretty cool, it kind of gives you the end result of running the smaller injecters for the regular driving and then open up the 30lb'ers for the big power. Very cool, very streetable.</font>
EXACTLY!! That's why I chose this method instead of an FMU (awful method) or even custom EPROM programming/larger injectors. The Superfueler allows the engine to run on stock or nearly stock injectors, which eliminates driveability/tunability issues at low rpm's, yet gives you all the fuel you need on the top end. The other methods mentioned are a compromise at best. Adverse effects of running extremely high pressure resulting from an FMU such as injector lockup and premature burnout becomes a thing of the past. With the Superfueler, you can have it both ways. Yes, you can have your cake and eat it too.

Willie

[This message has been edited by Willie (edited May 04, 2001).]
Old 05-04-2001, 03:01 PM

So do you have any details on how you made the air box?

Your whole set up is done very nicely and I know you've put alot of work into it. Kudos and I hope you get the timeslips you're looking for.

Matt
Old 05-04-2001, 04:55 PM
TGO Supporter

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CanadianBeast:
Whoops just reread, the fuel curve generator runs off of boost pressure is that correct?
Thanks
</font>
Correct. The Superfueler uses a GM 2-bar MAP sensor.

Willie

Old 05-04-2001, 04:59 PM
TGO Supporter

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Matt_91RSTPI:
So do you have any details on how you made the air box?</font>
Nope. When I started, it was supposed to be a prototype -- not an actual working piece. It didn't turn out that way. Although I'd eventually like the box to be made of fiberglass or carbon fiber or some sort of durable plastic, the prototype which I made out of aluminum came out really nice. My concern is heat retention within the aluminum, but in the one week that I've been driving the car, it does not seem to be a problem. That's probably because fresh outside air is used and helps to keep the temperature of the box close to ambient.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Your whole set up is done very nicely and I know you've put alot of work into it. Kudos and I hope you get the timeslips you're looking for.</font>
Thanks. Eventually, I should get close to my ultimate goal... I wonder what I'll do for a "hobby" then? Sell my car and start over, maybe?

Willie

Old 05-04-2001, 05:51 PM

Yup, you can always make more HP.

Very nice work.

BW

------------------
Bob Wooten
71 Camaro, 91 EFI
r71chevy@earthlink.net
www.r71camaro.homestead.com
&lt;&gt;&lt;