Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

600B psi max?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2001, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
600B psi max?

I currently own a 6oob procharger on my iroc. What is the max psi? When I call procharger and tell them I want 15 to 20 psi they immediatly want me to purchase a D-1 for $2500. Holy monkey! That is just for the head unit. Can anyone help me?
Old 02-03-2001, 09:48 PM
Supreme Member

i am pretty sure it has max psi at 27lbs, but the step up ratio is low on the p600b and it would be hard with an 8 rib belt to achieve
Old 02-03-2001, 09:49 PM
Supreme Member

i am pretty sure it has max psi at 27lbs, but the step up ratio is low on the p600b and it would be hard with an 8 rib belt to achieve
Old 02-04-2001, 07:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '86 IROC-Z + Misc. project cars.
Engine: Supercharged + Nitrous TPI 355 CID
Transmission: Art Carr built Th700r4
The max boost they publish is excactly that,the very maximum it can obtain. That figure is based on very restrictive intake ports and spinning the impeller at max RPM. No supercharger is going to last long running it like that.
Also much more heat is introduced into the discharged air when you spin a supercharger that fast.
12-15 PSI on a stock engine with a p600 is about max boost for any reasonable supercharger life. A modified engine might not even see 12PSI from 600 with out over speeding the supercharger.

------------------

Tracy /AKA IROCKZ4me
'86 IROC-Z Camaro
  • 355 cid
  • AFR heads
  • Arizona Speed & Marine hydraulic roller cam w/ AFR hydra-rev kit
  • modified SLP runners
  • TRW forged pistons/ceramic coated
  • fully balanced
  • Edelbrock headers/ceramic coated
  • SLP cat-back
  • Paxton supercharger
  • Nitrous Express nitrous oxide
My IROC-Z
EFI Performance Club on Yahoo
Club IROC-Z

[This message has been edited by IROCKZ4me (edited February 04, 2001).]
Old 02-04-2001, 10:20 AM

It sounds like if I want 15lbs. boost on my new 383 I might have to buy a D-1. Procharger won't even give me a trade in for my 600B head unit. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 02-04-2001, 04:09 PM

you could keep it for a back up or sell it to someone else for the same purpose or to someone that wants to custom fabricate a system.

Or you could just keep it and run the boost that it will and then add a nitrous system to pick the car up to where you want. The two go very well together. The only draw back is if you run in an event that limits you to only one power adder.

------------------

Tracy /AKA IROCKZ4me
'86 IROC-Z Camaro
  • 355 cid
  • AFR heads
  • modified SLP runners
  • fully balanced
  • SLP cat-back
  • Paxton supercharger
  • Nitrous Express nitrous oxide
My IROC-Z
EFI Performance Club on Yahoo
Club IROC-Z
Old 02-07-2001, 07:25 AM

Hey irocz4me how much rear wheel hp do you have? I am looking for 500 but do not see it happening with just the 600b blower. I could add nitrious like you suggest and achieve my goal. Have you had any problems with the combo?
Old 02-07-2001, 10:08 PM

I've not had the car on a chassis dyno so I don't have verified rear wheel numbers.
But it is way more than I can hook through 255/16 BFG Drag Radials for the first 100ft or so. It doesn't think about hooking good until deep in third gear. I will need some slicks before this season starts for sure. It eats the tires when I hit the nitrous (50HP pills) in second gear & even if I wait until third it grabs a little better but still squeals the tires, & that's with a puny (and antique) Paxton SN92 with no intercooler. Because of the complimentary effects of supercharging and nitrous, the horsepower increase from nitrous is greater on a forced induction application. This is primarilly due to the cooling effect of the nitrous and fuel. The HP output of a wet nitrous system on a supercharged application is generaly twice as much as on a naturally asperated application using the same nitrous jet size. In other words a jet set that makes 50 HP on a naturally asperated engine will make around 100 HP on a forced induction application.

The only problem I have had is lack of traction. My engine was prepaired very carefully. It was set up for lots of power adder including 2 valve relief TRW forged slugs with ceramic coated tops, a tight quench area for better combustion, and ceramic coated combution chambers & valve faces. All that helps make good power without a lot of timing addvance. Not to mention rod, crank & block prep and too much other stuff to write here. All that might not really be neccissary but it does make for more power and reliabillity.
Of course a good fuel system that can supply the needed flow volume at the pressures that a boosted system uses is a neccessity when you are feeding a supercharged engine and a nitrous system.

As for your getting 500 RWHP from a P600 blown 383, I wouldn't think that should be too difficult with careful planning. If the right heads, cam and induction parts are chosen and you have a good exhaust, plus good engine blueprinting to maximize the combo you should be able to get at least near you goal with a P600. If you don't already have the three core intercooler you should upgrade to that. Airflow is the name of the game not neccissarily boost. You can usualy make more power increasing airflow through the rest of the induction than you can just increasing boost pressure. Of course gobs of power can be made if you increase both, as long as ou don't heat the intake charge too much. Maximize airflow into and out of the engine and maximize the combustion proccess and you will be close to your goal. Lots of little things add up to make a much more powerful combo than you could expect from just bolting the parts together.
If you add nitrous on top of that you shoud far surpass your goal.
------------------

Tracy /AKA IROCKZ4me
'86 IROC-Z Camaro
  • 355 cid
  • AFR heads
  • modified SLP runners
  • fully balanced
  • SLP cat-back
  • Paxton supercharger