Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

Engine cooling concerns with ATI intercooler...

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2001, 09:10 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1987 Z28 Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 5-speed
Engine cooling concerns with ATI intercooler...

I recently installed a three-core intercooler. Now I realize how massive it is. It completely blocks off the airflow (except through it obviously) to the radiator from under the car. I live in the desert southwest where it gets awfully hot. I can't help but think the intercooler will adversely affect engine temps. What are your experiences with this? Any input would be appreciated.

------------------
Willie

Supercharged 1987 305 IROC-Z, Daily-Driver, Emissions-Legal.
12.57 @ 111 mph.
12.04 @ 114 mph (50-hp nitrous).
http://members.optushome.com/au/downunder1/rides/willie/willie.html

1987 "20th Anniversary Commemorative Edition" Z28 Convertible -- Super Chevy Show Class Winner, 1998.

My custom front marker lamp assemblies:
http://members.optushome.com/au/downunder1/misc/lens.html
Old 01-04-2001, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Willie ,I never had a problem,I wired my fans to come on together off of the fan switch in the passenger side head,the Hypertec low temp switch.I have no ac,and this might help bring air across the radiator.If you had a Firebird and the like,I wopuld say yes you might see a increase in temps,but with an Iroc,you have the the ducts on the nose for added cooling.I removed all the pastic in the nose when I installed the intercooler.Giving direct flow to the radiator.My car ran 160-175 on the boost in the summer time,80-90 degrees.Ran mostly water and water wetter.Stock water pump and radiator.I see no problem,I didnt.The nose is the difference,and the fact you are running one more fan.ATI tells you to have both fans come on when you start up the car,my car ran way to cold,and wouldnt warm up,in the summer time.Plus I wouldn run the fans, contiuasly might burn them out.

[This message has been edited by PROCHARGED89Z (edited January 04, 2001).]
Old 01-05-2001, 04:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '86 IROC-Z + Misc. project cars.
Engine: Supercharged + Nitrous TPI 355 CID
Transmission: Art Carr built Th700r4
Willie,
I have the Paxton SC oil cooler on my car mounted in front of the AC condensor with a large trannie cooler in between them, all spaced 1" apart.
I mounted a Perma Cool high performance 10" fan (1250cfm) (part#19010) in front of the coolers (as a pusher) blowing through them. This is in addition to the stock puller fan. It is wired through an additional relay tapped into the fuel pump relay (with the SC cooler pump) so that they will be on when the engine is running but not with the key just in the run position. I also have a bypass switch so I can turn it on independantly/manually to cool the SC before/after a strip pass.

When I swap to an intercooled Procharger system I plan to fit this fan and an additional one (or maybe a pair of 8" fans if need be for clearance) horizontaly on top of the intercooler (as a puller) to draw air up through the intercooler into the cavity in front of the radiator. This should increase the effectiveness of the intercooler (espessially while sitting in the staging lanes) and increase airflow to the front of the condenser/radiator.

Something simular to this should help you, and you may be able to leave your stock fan wiring alone.
If you even need additional cooling beyond this you could install an additional one or two 8" or 10" pusher fans verticaly in front of the radiator (where mine is now), wired to the fan switch in the head to assist the stock fans.

That should bannish Death Valley type heat from the engine bay.
------------------

Tracy /AKA IROCKZ4me
  • 355 cid
  • AFR heads
  • Arizona Speed & Marine hydraulic roller cam w/ AFR hydra-rev kit
  • modified SLP runners
  • TRW forged pistons/ceramic coated
  • fully balanced
  • Edelbrock headers/ceramic coated
  • SLP cat-back
  • Paxton supercharger
  • Nitrous Express nitrous oxide
My IROC-Z
EFI Performance Club on Yahoo

[This message has been edited by IROCKZ4me (edited January 05, 2001).]
Old 01-05-2001, 06:37 AM
MJT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Willie, my brother has the 3 core intercooler on his 88 Iroc, and here's the cooling setup, etc.

Be Cool Radiator
A/C condensor
Perma-Cool 4"Hx10.5"Wx21"L Dual circuit cooler (Engine oil and tranny oil)w/ 900cfm fan running constantly
Stock, dual electric fans running constantly
Edelbrock aluminum water pump
170* thermostat
Front Bra, no foglights
Stock air damn

The engine never gets above 200*, even in 95* weather.
Old 01-05-2001, 11:18 AM
Supporter/Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '89 Z28tt
Engine: Dart Little M Twin Turbo
Transmission: T56
I was concerned about cooling also, after I have the front mount IC completed. The IC core will be blocking the entire radiator, and the space in between the two will be sealed. I but the biggest, baddest, wildest fans behind the radiator that would fit. They are SPAL fans, and are 2300 cfm each, if I remember correctly, but the current draw is outrageous at about 23 amps each. That should be enough airflow The new radiator is one of Tony Dequick's custom concoctions (http://www.ChargedAir.com) with low fin density in order to help minimize the pressure drop across the rad. core. If it doesn't keep the car cool, I guess I'm screwed since there is nothing else out there. Oh yes - I also removed the center for the valence, and built a custom tubular bumper that tucks above the opening and is unseen. This should help get a little cooler air, instead of the hot stuff just above the pavement. We'll see!

------------------
Andris Skulte
Skulte Performance Designs
Z28tt-89 IROC T56 DFI Twin Turbo
http://www.skulte.com