Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

Larry, Darrin......finally!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2001, 02:32 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1987 Z28 Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 5-speed
Larry, Darrin......finally!!!

Guys,

I finally got the ATI today (Jan 2). It wasn't "lost" as I'd suspected, but accidentally put in the "two day" bin at the Fed Ex location in Phoenix. So, I get my $125 shipping back!!

The main bracket does indeed have two idlers and one tensioner, just like your pic Larry. Now, to go have some fun... I'm off until Jan 8 and the weather's beautiful (70's).... now for some "quality time" with my car...

Willie

[This message has been edited by Willie (edited January 02, 2001).]
Old 01-02-2001, 04:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats Willie!!!

Now that you have the kits you need to check all the mounting bolts...the two small 5/16" bolts that hold the blower to the bracket should be 1.5" long.....and i noticed last night that the mounting bolt for the main bracket that goes through the alternator is wrong also...my kit came with a 3/8" X 5.5"L bolt and it should be a metric bolt 10mm X 1.5mm X 140mm long......

Willie, if you need these bolts, let me know, I'm going tomorrow to see if i can find them in stainless steel...I've got a bolt supplier for all the auto company's around the corner from my house...

have fun with the install!!!
Old 01-02-2001, 09:52 PM
TGO Supporter

Larry,

I ran into a small problem. This one seems so obvious, but I can't see how. I'm having a problem bolting the compressor to the bracket!! The compressor has eight tapped holes in a horseshoe configuration. Only two of the bolt holes are tapped for the 3/8" bolts, the remaining are 5/16". The two 3/8" holes are not at each end of the horseshoe, but one bolt hole inward. The bracket has four holes for mounting the compressor. It looks like the two "end" holes are drilled for the larger 3/8" bolts.

If I look at the supercharger from the pulley side with the pulley at 6 o'clock, the horseshoe opens directly downward toward the pulley and the compressor outlet is around 7 o'clock. I assume yours is the same.

I can barely get the top 3/8" bolt with spacer started, but none of the others come close to lining up -- the outlet gets in the way of the inner fender.

Did you have any problems like this?

Willie
Old 01-03-2001, 07:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Willie,

I had to turn the compressor housing(intake side) to fit properly...just loosen up the small allen screws around the perimeter of the housing and turn as needed....the fill screw (has slot on top) on the head unit should be pointing towards the 2 0'clock position...it sounds like you are trying to install it like the p600 in the manual,
here's a pic for ya

------------------
MÅN¡ÅÇ ©
88 IROC 5.7L,edelbrock TES,random tech cat,borla exhaust,chip,sfc,accel wires,airfoil,k&n's,ETC..
and soon to be supercharged
http://maniac.megamania.com

[This message has been edited by maniacc (edited January 03, 2001).]
Old 01-03-2001, 07:39 AM
TGO Supporter

Larry,

Thanks for the pic. I removed the bracket and installed the SC onto it. Then I tried to reinstall the bracket with SC to see if it would physically fit. I have yet to tighten the bracket bolts, but I'm going to have to rotate the bracket/SC assembly so the compressor is as close to the alternator as possible. How much space do you have on yours? It's hard to tell from the pic.

I've got a "ridge" on the inner fenderwell that comes in contact with the compressor outlet. I'll either have to
1) Flatten the ridge with a sledge hammer or
2) Grind off a small portion of the bracket at the PS pulley hub to allow more rotation of the bracket/SC.
Or I might need to do both. And yes, the filler plug is at 2 o'clock.

I've read the instructions (P600B, not D1SC) a couple of times and have concluded they are basically worthless. It would be nice if each item in the kit (especially brackets) are individually labeled. Just from reading the instructions, I cannot determine how to relocate the battery or exactly how the intercooler is mounted. Today, I'll be attempting both -- just gonna have to wing it. I might be calling you this evening..... Thanks again for all your help. It sure is nice talking to someone who's been there and done that.

Willie

[This message has been edited by Willie (edited January 03, 2001).]
Old 01-03-2001, 08:04 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 2000 Trans Am
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Good luck with the install Willie. Its exciting seeing you guys post about this stuff.

------------------
-86 IROC
Vortech stuffed EFI 406 in progress
-=ICON Motorsports=-
Old 01-03-2001, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good luck willie. As several of us know, SC installs are a royal bitch!
Old 01-03-2001, 11:00 AM
TGO Supporter

Thanks Guido and Deathmobile.

Larry, I still couldn't get the SC onto the bracket. The compressor discharge hits the inner fenderwell -- not just slightly, but completely. I called ATI. They told me the back of the compressor (half with the discharge) can be rotated in relation to the front. Just loosen the Allen head bolts and rotate!! That was the problem. Now, it fits like a charm.

And now, to install the intercooler... The instructions are worthless...

BTW, I got the 4-inch compressor pulley. Initially, they pullied it for 10 psig. What I find interesting is that this pulley is rated at 9 psig on a stock 350. So it will be interesting to see how much boost I really get.

Willie
Old 01-04-2001, 06:17 PM
TGO Supporter

UPDATE!! Jan 4.

Thanks to you Larry, I was able to mount the intercooler last night. Again, ATI's instructions including pictures are awful.

Darren, I'd be glad to scan your pics. I sent you an e-mail with my address so mail them whenever you have time. I'll return them after they've been scanned.

I decided to fabricate a pair of brackets that greatly increases the angle of the intercooler air scoop. This allows the opening (mouth, if you will) to be about twice as low as the original design. Still, it is not as low as the lower radiator deflector, which always seem to rub on driveways, etc. I feel confident my design will work better in getting more airflow into the intercooler. When viewed from the front of the car, it looks awesome!!!

I'm also going to fabricate a deflector screen for the mouth. I have an idea how to do it -- I've already got the materials. When I finish the install, I'll work on this. If either of you guys want a set of air scoop brackets and/or deflector screen, e-mail me. I'll be glad to make these pieces for you.

Willie

[This message has been edited by Willie (edited January 04, 2001).]
Old 01-04-2001, 10:51 PM

Originally posted by Willie:

And now, to install the intercooler... The instructions are worthless...

Willie
Oh yes,they are very bad.Pictures dark,look like ****.
So Willie,what do think of the kit so far?Pretty complete and,the engineering of it?Fit and finish?Quality?
Doesnt it look great,the D1SC?
No that bad the install,at least no oil lines to tap.Especially a return,is this the main reason you bought the kit.Thats the best thing about the SN blowers,self contained.Just never liked the idea of tapping a hole on my pan with it still on the motor.And Willie,If I send you the pics,you can keep them if you wantno need to send them back,you will be doing me a great favor just posting them for me.I thank you for that.Keep us posted.Ill reply by email with my # so we I can contact you or visa versa
Old 01-05-2001, 01:02 AM

Wille , I am very excited by your install, I am also running a 305 and a Vortech , that darren and I installed. I cant wait to see your numbers from this move....Darren is good with this stuff , he has some good ideas stick with him for help on installing the blower and intercoller, God knows blower kits aren't the best instructed things in the world....I know from my pain in the *** .
Old 01-05-2001, 08:50 AM
TGO Supporter

Originally posted by PROCHARGED89Z:
Oh yes,they are very bad.Pictures dark,look like ****.
So Willie,what do think of the kit so far?Pretty complete and,the engineering of it?Fit and finish?Quality?
Doesnt it look great,the D1SC?
Sometimes I have to write procedures (instructions) at work. I'm VERY tempted to write one for ATI (with pics) for the D1SC. As you probably know, ATI does not have instuctions for the self-contained unit. I got instructions for the P600B. Believe me, I could write a set that would be very comprehensive -- that explain every minute detail.

The kit itself is not too difficult to install, the pieces are quality. There is one curiosity though. The two long spacers that are used on the supercharger bracket were both approximately 1/4" too long. I thought this was kind of unusual because Larry didn't have this problem. I cut off the excess and the bracket pullies line up perfectly with the crank pulley.

What I really like about the kit is the intercooler air scoop. I modified it by fabricating brackets that bolt between it and the intercooler, which makes it visible. Man, that makes the car look awesome when viewed from the front!!

I can't wait to hear this thing. I should have it functional by this weekend.

No that bad the install,at least no oil lines to tap.Especially a return,is this the main reason you bought the kit.
Like you say, the one thing I don't like are the oil lines to the compressor. But at the time, both Vortech and ATI used these. I loved the fact that my Paxton was a self-contained unit. Once I decided to sell it, I decided to go with a Vortech. Then ATI came out with the self-contained units. That completely changed my mind.

And Willie,If I send you the pics,you can keep them if you wantno need to send them back,you will be doing me a great favor just posting them for me.I thank you for that.Keep us posted.Ill reply by email with my # so we I can contact you or visa versa
Sounds good. I'll let you know when I get your pics. I sent you an e-mail with my phone numbers already. I hope you got it.

Willie

[This message has been edited by Willie (edited January 05, 2001).]
Old 01-05-2001, 09:06 AM
TGO Supporter

Joe,

It's hard to believe that ATI has released the D1SC kit for third gens, but they have NO instructions for it. I received instructions for the P600B kit. Even so, they are awful.

I write procedures at work and I could come up with a set of instructions for ATI that are much more concise and accurate than theirs. After I write a procedure, I find a "guinea pig" -- someone that will read them and try to follow them. I always ask for comments to add/delete/modify my procedure. This ALWAYS happens. Then I make the appropriate changes until my instructions are finalized. I wonder if ATI does this with their own instructions? I doubt it.

This is basically my only beef with this kit. Had the instructions been good, installation would have been much easier.

Willie

[This message has been edited by Willie (edited January 05, 2001).]