Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

Turbo Manifold Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2000, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo Manifold Thoughts

OK, I have been keeping up with everybodys input on turbo manifolds and have come up with possible solutions. Tell me what you think.

All of these thoughts are referring to my 92 Z, I know earlier camaros are different.

First idea... flip factory manifolds around or up side down. Upside down won't work b/c the manifolds interfere with the spark plugs. Reversing sides won't work because the pass side of the engine cradle interferes with the manifold outlet.

Second Idea... Do the same as above but with my SLP headers since tubular manifolds are supposed to be better anyway. This won't work because the headers are too long and would hit the hood.

Third idea... Custom make a set. SLP sells mandrel bent Stainless steel that would be perfect to use. This would be very involved though, especially since I can't weld.

I couldn't justify buying someone elses custom made specialty jobs b/c of the cost. I went to the local junkyard and looked at every type of small block manifold to see what would match. I found mid seventies manifolds could be flipped upside down but they still have that weird layout that GM manifolds have. This means that even if I flipped them upside down, the outlets are in really bad spots for turbos. The accessories are also in the way.

After looking in every book I had I found something that could work. Suppose I took the manifolds off of a C4 vette and turned them upside down. Then the outlets would be right in the middle of the head next to the valve cover. If i could weld the turbo adapters(available from turbonetics) onto the manifold outlets, then the turbos would have room to sit nicley on top of the valve covers (assuming the smog pump equipment is relocated). My only difficulty would be snaking the down pipe down to the original head pipes. Another benefit is the C4 manifolds are really stainless tubular headers and would increase turbo efficiency. SLP sells an aftermarket set for $400 that look really nice.

My biggest concern with using a single turbo is where to run the two exhaust pipes. The one to the other manifold, and the down pipe. Plus the T76 looks to be a pretty big unit and by have real estate problems in the engine compartment without relocting everything else.

Please tell me what you all think. Am I stupid or is this somethig that is possible? My goal is to design my own turbo setup cost effectivly. I would much rather pay $400 or less for a set of manifolds instead paying out the wazu for a set from someone else. I also think a TPI would look pretty tough with twin turbos on the valve covers.

------------------
--------
'92 Z28
5.7 TPI
T-56 six speed
3.73's(soon to be 4.10's)
SLP 1-3/4" Headers
SLP Cat-Back
Hypertech Prom
Track times posted soon!
Old 10-06-2000, 04:08 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 2000 Trans Am
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
My bigest concern is the heat that is going to be generated by them being up there. I guess its being done, so it cannot be that big an issue.

I have looked at the custom route, and any way you do it, its still going to be 3 digits to make them. Or purchase. They must be out of stainless or your asking for problems.

I am really leaning on this turbo tech vortec truck header. If the crossover pipe location is in the way of the downpipe too much, Ill chop it and move it further forward. I have access to welders so I am not too concerned about that.

I think the T76 will fit between the engine and wheel well. If it does not, Ive thought of snaking a pipe of the turbo tech header forward in the engine compartment, and hooking it there. Just a thought but I think it will fit in there.

I havent seen a C4 vette header so I cannot say. I thought once those block huggger headers might work but they would put the turbo in the hood which is not very desirable. LOL
Old 10-06-2000, 07:51 PM
Supreme Member

Hey fellas, I've been following this type of thing myself for a while, and this is what I've come up with.

I found a list on egroups called the junkyard turbo list. This is a list of guys that use junkyard parts to build turbo systems for their, mostly, Mustangs, Capris, and T-Birds. Now, before you go scoffing, lemme tell you. These guys have twin turbo'd 351's - when I say turbo'd I mean turbo'd - to the tune of 10.5's in the quarter from daily drivers no less.

I admit when I first started reading I was skeptical to say the least, but I am a convert. One of these guys, Eric Meyer, has a '70 Camaro that runs 10.03 and his wife has a '66 Nova that runs 10.78. Another guy, Mike Sitar, has a Capri that runs 10.5's and cost under $1000 to do. Not to mention his twin supercharged TurboCoupe.

I spent the better part of two weeks wading through 8000+ messages and emailing these guys with questions. It definitely can be done on the cheap. These guys are getting turbos from the junkyard at prices like $40 to $75. I have two turbos off of an '88 T-Bird (leaped before I looked, they may be too small for my engine - would be better for a twin turbo'd 305...) and I have two cast iron "rams horn" old style Corvette manifolds coming to weld some turbo flanges on. These will put the turbos right at the valve covers. The only hangup being the amount of restriction imposed on my exhaust by these manifolds. I know they were good for some decent horse in the old days... The best thing is I can play without going broke - I got one manifold for $27 and the other for $36 - no real biggie.

Not a perfect setup by any means - matter of fact I might not gain much if any horse. However, if I get it running and get my Haltech dialed in - it's a simple thing to swap in a different turbo, say a hybrid from the GN or a T04 from the aftermarket. The big hangup as you'll find is the headers. Try a search for Sanderson headers. Take a look at some of those for the '57 Chevy. Flip 'em upside down and side for side...

Anyways, something to consider.

Steve
http://www.egroups.com/group/jyturbo http://www.egroups.com/group/turbo (a lot of this stuff is 2.3 related - but it is a GOOD learning resource) http://www.geocities.com/toohighpsi/index.htm (Mike Sitars page with a bunch of turbo stuff)

Disregard all of the above stuff if you are looking for an all-in-one kit that is plug-n-play.
Old 10-06-2000, 08:14 PM

Good info guys. I too looked at the rams horn manifolds however, if I remember correctly, when they are turned upside down, they interfere with the spark plugs.

I was a little concerned about the heat from the C4 headers but it should not be to much of a problem. A heat shield may need to be fabricated.

I am all for the low cost setups. I will have to check out those links.

------------------
--------
'92 Z28
5.7 TPI
T-56 six speed
3.73's(soon to be 4.10's)
SLP 1-3/4" Headers
SLP Cat-Back
Hypertech Prom
Track times posted soon!
Old 10-08-2000, 11:52 PM

Turbos good. Vortech for sale this November.

------------------
1989 Formula, 383", DFI, Mini-Ram, S-Trim Vortech, blah, blah...
Best ET: 10.796 @ 125.8 mph

TURBO 406 PROJECT STARTED!!!

Other expensive hobby: assault weapons/shooting sports

Employed at:
Hahn Racecraft
Accel EMIC/DFI Tuning
Turbosystems & Custom EFI

Member of Midwest F-Body Association
http://www.mfba.org