Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

rear mount turbo's???????

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Camaro Iroc-Z
Engine: 350
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.42 7.625 10 bolt
rear mount turbo's???????

Is there any rear mount turbo set ups for TPI motors. I know STS has ones for the LT1 and i thought maybe it would work on TPI any information at this point would be very helpful!
Old 04-26-2005, 01:14 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1992 B4C 1LE
Engine: Proaction 412, Accel singleplane
Transmission: built 700R4 w/custom converter
Axle/Gears: stock w/later 4th gen torsen pos
this is definitely a time to use your new membership and try the

button

try STS and rear and turbo

https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sea...der=descending
Old 04-26-2005, 04:42 AM

Car: 1988 gta
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: turbo 350
listen to all the reasons that the rear mount kits are not up to par with the traditional turbo mounting. mounting the turbo so far away from the motor decreases the amount of heat (energy) and exhaust pulses (energy) that the turbo is able to use before they are disapated. if you believe the manufactuers of these kits when they say that you dont need heat, then take a ride in one of the rear turbo cars and hit the throttle when the car is still cold........you will notice that the boost is absent. one idea of why you can make so much power with a turbo is that you waste roughly 33% of the energy from the fuel you are burning by the heat escaping through the exhaust. if you harness this energy and put it to work driving the turbine wheel, you can see substantial increases in power. dont believe the rear turbo lies. but dont take my word for it.... do some reaserch from both sides of the argument, which ever side is able to provide the most amount fact about what makes a turbo work would be my choice. i would never make a decision based on a product or idea being new, remember that they are trying to sell you merchandise. i just would like to sugest that you reaserch this thourghly before makeing a perchase.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:55 PM
TGO Supporter

you eloquently make a point that has been made here in other posts vejatabul.

Captain Morgan, you should listen to him. The sts system is a compromise. sure it makes power and will increase performance, but at what expense?

I think the STS race systems are cool. 10 and 11 second GTO's and 11 and 12 second trucks and F-bodies shows that the system is on par with entry level centrifugal blower kits.

I think you would be better off with THIS BBS Designs kit CLICK and a nice new intercooler like one member here has done. you can get them from ebay cheap.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:10 PM

I was debating on running a vortech supercharger on my 350 TPI, but i have always been a bigger fan of turbo's just not a bigger fan of the plumbing it takes to run a turbo. I want something clean and effective, which is why the rear mounts have caught my eye. I dont even mind and extra long spool up if that is what it takes to build the power, becuase i am running a higher RPM car anyway, powerband from 3500-6500. Thanks for the advice, i am doing lots of research on the both of them... right now i am still leaning towards the rear mount turbo, becuase it allows me to keep my engine bay, less clottered and if there dyno numbers are true, they are putting out as much as most other turbos and defantly as much as superchargers.
Old 05-01-2005, 03:28 PM

Car: 89 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: Intercooled Twin Turbo LQ4
Transmission: Tremec TKO 600
I have never heard anything bad from someone who owned a RMT system. Just from people therorizing, which is fine. I laughed at first too.

But now people look at me and laugh becasue my daily beater RMT Z24 is basically as fast as my TT IROC. My Z24 just feels awsome, there is no other way to put it. Plus, it was about 10 times easier to build, and retains the A/C and all emissions equipement.

Time to get more serious with the IROC now
Old 05-01-2005, 11:03 PM

take a ride in one of the rear turbo cars and hit the throttle when the car is still cold........you will notice that the boost is absent.
Exactly what you want on a cold engine if you like your bearings.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:14 AM

Car: '87 Pontiac Trans AM
Engine: 350 CID STS Turbocharged
Transmission: T56 6-Speed SPEC Stage II
STS Prototype

Originally posted by Captain Morgan
I want something clean and effective, which is why the rear mounts have caught my eye. I dont even mind and extra long spool up if that is what it takes to build the power, becuase i am running a higher RPM car anyway, powerband from 3500-6500. ... right now i am still leaning towards the rear mount turbo, becuase it allows me to keep my engine bay, less clottered and if there dyno numbers are true, they are putting out as much as most other turbos and defantly as much as superchargers.
Hey Captain,

Well I own and developed the 3rd Gen STS Kit (Should be available very soon) so I may be a bit biased in my opinion. There are advantages/disadvantages to a RMT. You pointed out one of the advantages already. You can install one of our kits in 4 hours in your driveway with basic knowledge and tools and not have to move/remove any accessories. Spool time may not be as fast as a traditional setup, but it is not dog slow either. From a dead stop @ idle I make full boost (5 psi) by 2500~2750 RPM. This is kinda nice on a manual car 'cause I am not spinning my wheels right off the line. I have posted dyno sheets here before too from my car. Stock L98 130K miles, no other mods and put down 327RWHP and 450RWTQ on a DynoJet.
Simplicity is the key to STS's Kits. Pop the hood and show off your 'cold air kit'. Unless they know of the kits, they don't even know your turbocharged.
I have driven supercharged Cobras and Firebirds before, but when I went for a ride in a STS Camaro SS bone stock on 5 PSI I was hooked. I love driving my '87 T/A and love showing people the setup even more.
If you have any other ??? simply email me and we can talk.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:34 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 T/A VERT
Engine: LB9
Transmission: AUTO
Axle/Gears: 7.5 / 3.42's
Do you have to have a manual trans to have room for the pipe from the turbo to intake? I don't see how you could squeeze it by a 700 above the trans cross member.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:29 AM

Originally posted by gmgod
Do you have to have a manual trans to have room for the pipe from the turbo to intake? I don't see how you could squeeze it by a 700 above the trans cross member.
The charge pipe is on the outside of the frame right now, just like a bolt on subframe connector. I may look at moving it back more toward the center of the car, but it will be to the outside of the crossmember. You are right, there is not enough room above the crossmember for it to clear. My converted T56's crossmember is a bit thicker than stock too, so if I get it to clear mine, it will clear anything stock.

Keenan
Old 05-16-2005, 08:57 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 T/A VERT
Engine: LB9
Transmission: AUTO
Axle/Gears: 7.5 / 3.42's
Does it go along the driver side? What size is the tubing? Do you have any pics? I'm interested in the kit and am wondering if it will work on a convertible.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by gmgod
Does it go along the driver side? What size is the tubing? Do you have any pics? I'm interested in the kit and am wondering if it will work on a convertible.
Yes, it is on the drivers side. It is 2.25" pipe. I will get some picts taken and post them up. I have never seen the underside of a convertable 3rd Gen so I don't know for sure if it will fit, should though.

Keenan
Old 05-21-2005, 01:21 PM

hydraquest. do you have any idea when the rear mount turbo set up will be available for third gens? End of this summer or early next summer? just wondering so i can plan accordingly and hopefully get one as soon as they are available. Well see i just bought a CBR 900RR bike, so that has taken some of my attention for the time being, but i do fully plan on purchasing one of the new STS set ups when they become available.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:53 AM

Originally posted by Captain Morgan
hydraquest. do you have any idea when the rear mount turbo set up will be available for third gens?
I have been working with STS for about two weeks now trying to get pricing done. The Firebird kit is a go right now. I have another dealer who is helping out on the Camaro kit and it should be along soon too.
I don't have a price for you as of yet, but we are hoping to keep it ~$4000 with the LT1 & LS1 kits.

Keenan
Old 05-24-2005, 05:08 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: L98
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.73
$4000!?
Just buy a super charger.
Or build you own rear mount turbo for a fraction of that.
By fraction I mean 1/4 to 1/2 of that.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:41 AM
TGO Supporter

Originally posted by oil pan 4
$4000!?
Just buy a super charger.
Or build you own rear mount turbo for a fraction of that.
By fraction I mean 1/4 to 1/2 of that.
dude, do a little more reading, visit the site a little bit more, make a post that is more constructive, or just shut the hell up.

$4000!?!?!

this is what turbo and supercharger kits of equal power capacity run, why would you be surprised?

There are plenty of things I disagree with about STS kits, but full suggested retail price is not one of them.

Have you ever tried to run a "one off" pipe of anykind under a 3rd or 4th gen? You might begin to gain an understanding for the refinement required. I could only guess you would likely still end up with some rattles.

Im not so much as sticking up for STS as I am saying your comment is out of hand, class, and place.

I think it is cool to challenge vendors on pricing issues, especially when they are out of hand. If this kit was $7800 or something equally rediculous I would be right beside you in your comment. But $4000 is the prevailing cost for GM entry level blower and supercharger kits (except for carburated and the vortech which is closer to $3500).
Old 05-25-2005, 03:36 PM

Car: '84 Z28
Engine: Goodwrench 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: good guess
I'm sure everyone has seen and formed their own opinion of the STS kits. I have seen results first hand. I work at a local Dyno and performance shop. We have installed two kits to date. The first was on a new Hemi Ram. It baselined at 250rwhp w/ some bolt ons. After the install and we set it at the high boost setting (10 psi) after we tuned for lowboost. At 10 psi it put out 427 rwhp. I must say I was very surprised. I'm not saying that there arent better kits out there, but they do work and if you think about it......that kinda increase for the $$ aint bad.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:38 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro Z28
Engine: 2002 SS LS1
Transmission: 6 speed
Axle/Gears: Auburn 3.42
Re: rear mount turbo's???????

Any updates on the 3rd Gen STS kit?