Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

How about a turbo ls-1 buildup 1000hp??

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 05:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about a turbo ls-1 buildup 1000hp??

I would like to start a discusion on why a LS-1 swap might be better for a high end turbo buildup, or maybe not better. The goal would be 1000rwhp.
Not sure what would be better a well built little M with some AFR or T1 heads. I see some advantages with a gen 111 build
You could use the stock castings heads ported of course.
6 bolt mains
Get a latemodel LS-6 block the newer F-bodies came with them.
You could use the factory ECM no need for a expensive stand alone ECU
There is a guy on ls-1tech with twins on his stock crank with forged pistons and rods ARP studs thats it, nothing fancy he said. He uses a factory ecu 96# injectors. He made a few shakedown runs and went 9.4@145 in a heavy TA, they expect to go 8s @160+
I brought this up because I'am flirting with the idea of swaping a ls-1 and turbos. My original plan is a little M block eagle crank rods JE pistons and AFR210 heads. I would need to build a new set of headers eithey way I go. I could be better of with just building a gen 1 SBC then a ls-1 just not sure? When I saw Guido go witha LS-1 it realy made me think cause he had all the Good stuff on his old setup and now he comes out of retirement with a big single LS-1 buildup for his iroc?????
Old 08-04-2004, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: Intercooled Twin Turbo LQ4
Transmission: Tremec TKO 600
I was thinking along the same lines. I thought about using the 6.0 iron block- I think you could obtain one cheaper, and logic would say it would provide more strength. And all the HO induction parts from the F and Y bodies would bolt up to it.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:51 PM

I just can't get over the fact this guy is using a factory crank and factory block with nothing in it aside from some forged pistons and rods not even expensive ones. You could pick up a engine/tranny out of a f-body and wip in a new set of pistons and rods and your done. This engine is the factory 346 cubes it just has 010 pistons in a alloy ls-6 block. He does have a gmmg carb intake drilled for injectors and a turbo cam but thats it. I like the fact he runs the stock ecu that realy helps with a budget build up.
Maybe Guido is just doing a gen III engine to be different.
Keep in mind I'am not talking about building a 1000hp car for a couple grand but just curious if it could be done cheaper with a gen III setup. Certanly you don't have to spend 30k for the powertrain alone to make this power with a turbo.

Maybe this guys car is just to much on the edge and in a few weeks will scatter, I guess time will tell.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198971
Old 08-05-2004, 06:36 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Car: 2000 Trans Am
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
That car in the video is Matt Harlan and its anything but your run of the mill turbocharged LS1. Its a well built short block with a pair of T66 turbos. I thought he was using a factory LS6 intake??

Also, he DOES run the factory ECM BUT, and this is a big but, he uses TWO MAFs on his setup. He is a master of electronics. I think he works for GM doing some kind of electronic work. He was building LS1 specific rev limiters and shift lights for two years before anyone else was making anything. ANd he custom built them. He is a wiz with that stuff.

However, it shows what you can do with an LS1.

Wheel 2 Wheel racing in Michigan just pulled a 427ci, LS1 off the dyno last week. It had a 94mm garrett turbo on it, custom sheet metal intake, ported heads. Ya know, some goodies. It put down 1560hp on the engine dyno @ 24psi of boost.

As for why I went with what I did. I managed to get my engine for free. Its not even an LS1 right now. Its a 5.3 iron block. It can be upgraded with the same items as the 5.7 and 6.0 blocks though. I got it for nothing. I bought an intake and a throttle body for it yesterday for $140 shipped. Not bad. I shopped around and got a good deal on a big turbo, wastegate, intercooler core and BOV. Im using mild steel for the headers, and exhaust.

Its been a budget build because Ive had good deals roll down the pike. I didnt want to go into debt over this one. I was $7k in the hole on my last one. Not just from the engine but from various things like school, building a race car, etc. So I sold the motor to pay off a bunch of bills and I am on the plus side now and have been for a year. After 4 years of not having any money its been nice. LOL And I was a little bored with the engine anyway. This is a new challenge. Not that I ever got the last one spot on either but... eh

So that gives you an idea of where Im going. Ill be putting an aftermarket ECU on simply because I dont want to screw with factory GM stuff which is hard enough to figure out, let alone tune it. Ill go with FAST or Big Stuff 3 for my ECU, and a glide for the tranny.

EDIT: Okay I just went and rechecked that thread and he has that WAR modified intake. I didnt know he did that, and I hadnt checked that thread in a few days. LOL

Last edited by Guido; 08-05-2004 at 07:15 AM.