Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

whats the proper way to plumb a nitrous system on a carb?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 05:43 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Junk
Engine: Junk with nitrous
Transmission: Junk with gears
whats the proper way to plumb a nitrous system on a carb?

My friend told me my nitrous system isn't routed correctly..the way I have it now is that I have a 3 port return style regulater that comes off the factory EFI fuel line, then AFTER the regulater I have a fuel y block that goes one to the carb and one to the fuel solenoid, and the 3rd port on the return style regulater goes back to the tank (it USED to be a fuel injected car). My holley blue pump is mounted in the back on the rear seat wall and it sucks through the stock disabled in-tank fuel pump. My buddy told me that NOS personally told him to run TWO regulaters.........one for each side of the fuel system. He said to run a y block BEFORE the regulaters so that each side of the fuel system (nitrous and carb) have their own regulaters. What do you guys think?? Btw another friend told me I could just switch my fuel feed line to the return line since the return line goes to the bottom of the fuel tank, so that I wouldn't have to drop the tank to remove the dead in-tank pump, which is a bad restriction. Is that OK to do ya think?
Old 05-21-2004, 08:25 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
Re: whats the proper way to plumb a nitrous system on a carb?

Originally posted by ChrisFormula355
My friend told me my nitrous system isn't routed correctly..the way I have it now is that I have a 3 port return style regulater that comes off the factory EFI fuel line, then AFTER the regulater I have a fuel y block that goes one to the carb and one to the fuel solenoid, and the 3rd port on the return style regulater goes back to the tank (it USED to be a fuel injected car). My holley blue pump is mounted in the back on the rear seat wall and it sucks through the stock disabled in-tank fuel pump. My buddy told me that NOS personally told him to run TWO regulaters.........one for each side of the fuel system. He said to run a y block BEFORE the regulaters so that each side of the fuel system (nitrous and carb) have their own regulaters. What do you guys think?? Btw another friend told me I could just switch my fuel feed line to the return line since the return line goes to the bottom of the fuel tank, so that I wouldn't have to drop the tank to remove the dead in-tank pump, which is a bad restriction. Is that OK to do ya think?
you need new friends.

ohh, about your questions?

well, first question... think of it this way.
how does a regulator work? by sending the extra fuel back into the tank... meaning if its set to 15psi, any fuel that would go higher then 15 would go back to the tank... there is 15PSI in the system from the pump to the carb.. that whole line is charged to 15.
now add a second regulator... set it to say, 7psi.
well now the 7psi regulator dumps all fuel that would make it go over 7psi back into the tank... the 15psi regulator is always closed, because it never gets enough fuel to go over 7psi.

you have it setup right... it gets Y-ed off after the regulator and runs the nitrous..

the way they really reccomend(and what your friend might have been thinking) is a total 2nd fuel system.. basicly a small fuel cell, a regulator and some lines. good idea if its ment to run at a diffrent pressure.. or if you want to run racegas/premium on N2O but low grade on the motor (like on a street car or somthing)

as far as the pump things... no dont switch them.. even if it was true, you want to be pulling the fuel thru that little tampon strainer thing so you dont get junk in the pump.

personally, id take the couple hours of work and just swap the pump for a walbro255 or a similar in tank pump..
Old 05-21-2004, 10:51 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86' Z28
Engine: 355
Transmission: T-56
as far as i know, you are supposed to run two regulators. the feed line should Y before the regulator, then a regulator to your carb, and a regulator to the fuel solenoid. This is how it is recommended in NX instructions that came with my hitman+ kit.

If nothing else, this setup allows for fine tuning of your nitrous hit without having to change jets as often.

Eric
Old 05-21-2004, 05:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Junk
Engine: Junk with nitrous
Transmission: Junk with gears
Re: Re: whats the proper way to plumb a nitrous system on a carb?

Originally posted by MrDude_1

personally, id take the couple hours of work and just swap the pump for a walbro255 or a similar in tank pump..
I dont' think you read my sig...........my firebird has been carburated for quite some time now.........what I meant by pulling the tank to fix the problem was that I would replace the intake pump with a length of fuel line and some compression fittings. The pump I have mounted on the firewall is a holley blue pump.
Old 05-22-2004, 12:56 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 2002 Formula Firebird
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4l60e
Axle/Gears: 3.23
I had planned to run an extra fuel line off my regulator. I have 2 ports open still. I just ordered a holley blue pump and it does come with an extra reg. I guess I could go ahead and Y it before the regulator and also use the holley reg.

I'll see when I get the nitrous.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:15 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 2002 Formula Firebird
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4l60e
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Chris....did you run any kind of strainer filter whenever you eliminated the intank pump?

I had planned on doing what you did but I hear that you can stop up the line without a strainer...I guess the tank would have to be really rusted out.

I can't wait to get the holley blue on...I will never have to worry about fuel starvation again.