Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

super vs. turbo.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 350ci TPI L98
Transmission: 4-speed auto 700r4
super vs. turbo.

Car: '91 T/A GTA L98

I never knew you could throw a turbo into this engine. I have been planning on a supercharger for a long time.. My question is what would be a safe boost for a supercharger for this engine. I know the engine is a workhorse and extremely strong, but what can this car take as far as horsepower? I don't have a heavy foot on a regular basis, and prefer power on the highway (push it to the floor while already going 100km/h (60mph), so street starts burning rubber is not my thing (although once in a while its fun). I would assume its actually healthy to put a 5-9 pound boost on this engine for regular driving, and it may even help fuel mileage despite the HP gain?? I don't have extreme amounts of money, and might even sell the car, but I might change my mind if nobody offers me enuff. I cannot afford a blueprint or anything like that, just bolt ons and chargers. Can someone outline the advantages/disadvantages of turbo vs. super? I always prefered the superchargers, I owned a XR-7 Cougar before, as well as a Turbocharged Eagle, and I love the supercharger way better. Nitrous is out of the question, since I like power all the time, and steady, not crazy power for a few seconds that can blow my engine.. So finally, what kind of boost is safe for everyday driving and an occasional race for the life of the engine? Any other mods I should think about (the L98 TPI is competely original as of now, with 130000KM (80000 miles) on it, but it runs like new, idles amazingly smooth)..

Furthermore, is there anyway to change the tranny? the original 700 just doesn't cut it, 4 speed auto is no good anymore, I hear that only about 190 horses make it to the tires, even though my engine puts out 245HP on he dyno at the flywheel, what ta heck is that?! I would like a 6 speed auto with tiptronic or even a 6 speed manual if this is possible.

Any info would be greatly appreciated, because if the info is what I want to hear, I may not sell my baby afterall, and instead get a second job for a year, lol.

Oh, and one more thing, how strong is this car anyway? could it handle 500HP, or would it bend everything at that kind of power.. we all know what kind of torque this L98 produces, it is insane, over 330lbs, which is 140% of the HP, almost unheard of in any other engine, and I love that about it.

Chris
Old 05-13-2004, 01:57 PM

Car: 98 Z28 vert
Engine: LS1
Transmission: automagic
Axle/Gears: 2.73 - boo racing yay MPG
First thing all of the questions you have asked have been anwsered agian and agian a search would give you detailed full anwsers any way

If you buy a super charger kit (made for your car) just run what ever pullies it comes with, the kits are designed for your engine and won't kill it unless you do something dumb. And at only 80000mi I would not worry about the engine not handeling it there are guys charging 150000 engoines and they handle it well. If you are that concerned give it a compression and leak down tests and find out.

I haven't heard of anyone cramming a 6spd auto into a 3rd gen and I can imagine it whould be tons of $ and monkey busness to get it to work. Swaping a 6spd manual is a diffrent story. THat gets done all the time just do a search and you will find detailed instructions on what needs to be done.

Third gen chassie's are fairly strong there are several ppl into the 8 and 9 with nothing more than subframe connectors and a roll cage. The stock rearend is a diffrent story. THe thing is junk with slicks it will blow a 400hp. Transmissions are only a little better. The 700r4 can be beefed to the moon but a t5 is garbage agian.

Anyway I hope I helped and if you need more detailed instructions just do a search.
Old 05-13-2004, 06:06 PM

thanx, but here is more..

You answered my question to a degree, well, you didn't touch the Turbo, but since I don't really care about turbo and prefer super, its no problem.. What do you mean the 700r4 can be modded up and beefed up? how so? From what I hear, it only transfers about 70% or less to the wheels, the rest is lost, I thought the only way to get about 90% or more of the engine power straight to the wheels (this alone would take my car from 15s to 14s 1/4 mile I am sure) is to change the tranny with a new manual or new high tech 5 or 6 speed auto?! You're saying there is a way to mod the original tranny (i know its a very heavy duty tranny, and it still shifts like new) so that it will put more power to the wheels?

My father has a similar problem with his Interpid R/T (2003), the engine is a 240HP 3.5L Magnum, but again the 4 speed auto (tiptronic also, but thats crap) only puts about 195 horses to the wheels.. argh..

Thanx again in advance if you reply to this.. Since I have put the car on the road again, I am really not wanting to sell it, its running like it is brand new (except the damn pop up lights which won't popup anymore, which is another problem alltogehter!)

Chris
Old 05-13-2004, 08:39 PM

Car: 84 Z28
Engine: GMPP 350 HO
Transmission: 700R4 + Shift Kit
Axle/Gears: Auburn Posi; Richmond 3:73 Gears
240fly and 195 at the wheels isn't bad that’s only a 19% loss. 20% loss on most cars is expected you can put a T-56 found in newer Camaros and firebirds in your car with little to nothing other than transmission cost. You need a conversion crossmember provided by Sphon found here . As for beefing up the 700R4 it will cost much less than a T-56 swap. Look into a company called Pro-Built they make good transmission and rebuild kits.
Old 07-05-2004, 09:50 PM

thanx..

Thanx to both of you, I have looked into it but still haven't decided. I have just got the money for it so will be doing something very soon. Will a rebuilt 700r4 with a shiftkit transfer as much power to the wheels as the t56?! I do like manual shifting, but am not totally set on it, i don't mind automatic, I just don't like the power loss that comes with it most of the time.