Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

Thinking of Charging it.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Z-28
Engine: 350 SBC
Transmission: Probuilt 700R-4
Thinking of Charging it.

I am entertaining the thought of supercharging my camaro. I have a ZZ4 bottom end with a TPI, edelbrock base. Now I was thinking of going to the stealth ram injection to increase my mid and top end but if I put a supercharger on my tpi it will keep the bottom end and solve the problem with top end airflow right? Can I use a charger with 10:1 comp motor, with XR276 hydraulic rolller cam or do I have to get one of those special supercharger cams. I am planning on burning my own chips too. Thanks.
Old 05-05-2003, 12:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '85 Z28
Engine: 305
Transmission: WC T5, 3.23 posi
I wouldn't run a supercharger on a 10:1 motor unless you're planning on running race gas. The ideal compression for forced induction is 8.5:1, and the highest I would go (for lower boost applications) would be 9:1. You will also need to get a cam that is designed for forced induction otherwise you will lose a lot of power. The XR276 is designed for N/A motors and has a narrow LSA, and the lobes are too aggressive. You would be much better off with Comp Cams PN: CC12-404-4 (222/226 dur @ .050", .464/.464" lift on a 114 LSA (I know it's flat tappet, but just wanted to give you an idea). It is designed specifically for boost applications and has a wider LSA and not quite as much duration to trap the boost in the cylinder. As far as the TPI goes, I don't know much about it, but I would imagine that you would still hit the wall, and it would hapen even earlier since you would be flowing more air through it (can anyone tell me if my reasoning is correct?).
Old 05-06-2003, 05:50 PM

Car: 1990 formula
Engine: 350 tpi supercharged
Transmission: 700 r4
do a search

i think that with proper tuning you will be fine.especally if you are talking no more than 10psi of intercooled boost.dont let people scare you 10-1 with aluminum heads proper timing management and fuel delivery will work i have run 20000 mi on a stock 90 l98 and 7psi non intercooled boost with no problems and will be upgrading to a d1 this fall to give my new moter more boost.also with the sc the tpi wall is gone mine both stock and now modified pulls hard to 6000
pete
Old 05-11-2003, 07:38 AM

I am using a SN2000 on a 10.1 compression motor. One thing you need to do is make sure of what RPM the supercharger can turn and what RPM the engine shifts at WOT. The SN2000 redlines at 38,000 RPMs which is 4800 RPMs for the engine. I installed a 4 inch pulley and now shift at 5800 RPMs. Before the supercharger I shifted at 6000RPM. The 4 inch pulley will drop the supercharger to around 5.5PSI which is safe for a 10.1 compression engine.
My next supercharger will be a D1SC and I will pulley it down to around 7PSI until I build another engine with around 8.51 compression. Then I will run around 12 PSI. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Chris Ja; 05-11-2003 at 07:42 AM.
Old 05-16-2003, 05:41 PM

Tim,
I am running a completely stock Tuned ported 5.7cu in. in a 84 vette with an intercooled procharger. I had a 6lb pulley on it and just upgraded to a 10lb pulley a few days ago. I have tested this on 3 different tracks about 30 runs. I think the Tpi does snuff out the top end potential. I race Zo6 vettes a Englishtown and Kill them off the line with the 6lb pulley, they caught up in the last 300 ft. I lost to them. The second half of the track was just like driving on the interstate. I have a new motor (forged) with a Lingenfelter Super Ram intake and a 58 mm throttle body to be installed in July. This motor has 10.5 to 1 compression. I called Procharger and they told me that 10 to1 compression would be ok with my 6lb pulley. I bought the SC system right off a 10 to 1 compression Corvette. It worked fine. I got a book called auto math and bought some tools. and taught myself how to measure my newest motor (used), and find that I will need to change heads to achieve 9.5 to 1 compression. I am picking Air flow reasearch 76cc heads. I have decided to run the 10 lb pulley on the new motor and won't take the chance with 10lbs of boost on a 10.5 to 1 compession motor. A note on chip burning, I have had an interest to get into that and didn't have to yet since I don't need it yet. I have a mass airflow system. The mass air flow is more forgiving to performance upgrades. I would suggest seeing just how far you can push you et with the stock computer chip and mas air flow if you don't have speed density. The stealth ram is in the middle of the super ram (lowend to mid ) and the mini ram (top end). I haven't heard of anybody running it yet. Just make sure the thing fits under you hood.
Good luck
Jojo

I am entertaining the thought of supercharging my camaro. I have a ZZ4 bottom end with a TPI, edelbrock base. Now I was thinking of going to the stealth ram injection to increase my mid and top end but if I put a supercharger on my tpi it will keep the bottom end and solve the problem with top end airflow right? Can I use a charger with 10:1 comp motor, with XR276 hydraulic rolller cam or do I have to get one of those special supercharger cams. I am planning on burning my own chips too. Thanks.