Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

New Engine specs....

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Engine specs....

I am planning on running a ATI P-1SC on this engine combo. what do you all think. I am wondering about the parts and how they will work together. I understand that I will have to modify my trans, rear gears, exhaust, and other suspension components. I am just looking at the engine configuration right now. My car is an 89GTA Thanks for your help.

SB400 stoked to 420ci(have block)
AFR 210CC heads, fully ported(have heads)
Forged internals, 4340 crank, 4340 H beam rods, J/E forged pistons(need to get)
TPIS miniram system(need to get)
52mm TB(58mm?)(need to get)
27# injectors(need to get)
zz9x or zzx hyd.roller cam(need to get)
ATI P-1SC supercharger(need to get)

I do drive this car on the street, but it is usually short duration around town. I will be visiting the strip A lot with this car. What are your opinions suggestions. Thanks. Steve in Utah....
Old 03-14-2003, 02:18 PM

I dont know the answer to your question but I felt I had to welcome you to the board because your a fellow Utah Thirdgen driver. so Welcome!! That GTA sounds like its going to be a mean car.
Old 03-14-2003, 02:23 PM

Re: New Engine specs....

Originally posted by my89gta
I am planning on running a ATI P-1SC on this engine combo. what do you all think. I am wondering about the parts and how they will work together. I understand that I will have to modify my trans, rear gears, exhaust, and other suspension components. I am just looking at the engine configuration right now. My car is an 89GTA Thanks for your help.

SB400 stoked to 420ci(have block)
AFR 210CC heads, fully ported(have heads)
Forged internals, 4340 crank, 4340 H beam rods, J/E forged pistons(need to get)
TPIS miniram system(need to get)
52mm TB(58mm?)(need to get)
27# injectors(need to get)
zz9x or zzx hyd.roller cam(need to get)
ATI P-1SC supercharger(need to get)

I do drive this car on the street, but it is usually short duration around town. I will be visiting the strip A lot with this car. What are your opinions suggestions. Thanks. Steve in Utah....
Thanks for your nice welcome. I usually post on the utah f-body forum. However, I think this forum has some great advice to offer as well as some great boards. I am planning a lot of stuff for this car. There is no way I can get all of that done this year. However, I will start a few things on the car. I first have to swap my 454 into my 70 chevelle to get the SB408 out. To do this, I need to build up the bigblock and buy a few parts for it. You should come to the events we have every month. I think the opening BBQ is scheduled for March 29, 2003 at Murray Park.
Old 03-14-2003, 02:27 PM

Car: 81Malibu
Engine: SBC 355
Transmission: TH400
I'd think you'd need alot bigger injectors then those 27#'s
Old 03-14-2003, 03:32 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 84 SVO
Engine: Volvo headed 2.3T
Transmission: WCT5
Axle/Gears: 8.8" 3.73
Originally posted by sleepybu
I'd think you'd need alot bigger injectors then those 27#'s
Agreed, the 420 alone could take 30's.
Old 03-14-2003, 04:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 2000 Trans Am
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
You are going to need some type of engine management system too. Either converting to speed density so you have some more control over fuelling and timing or buying something a bit more expensive.

I think anything less than a #50 injector would be selling yourself short. And make SURE that you prep the block good as well. Thats going to be a LOT of grinding to fit that big a stroke crank in there and I worry about breaking into the water jacket.

Have you considered an aftermarket block for something like this? The 400 isnt exactly the best block to be putting that much power into. You may stress the cylinder side walls and crack them after a while.

Good luck! Sounds like a fun project.
Old 03-14-2003, 04:54 PM

Guido:

I thought about that as well. The crank kits that I have seen for sale utilize a stock GM block. I have also read some of lingenfelters(sp) build-ups which one is a 420ci that utilizes a stock 400 production block. I have still yet to talk to my builder who will prep the block. If I am going to run into a lot of reliability problems, then I will stick with the 408 cubic inches that the block is now by keeping the 3.75" stroke and fortifing the bottom end with aftermarket main caps, forged parts, and a partial block fill of the water jackets. Also will pressure test and sonic test the block.
I do agree about the grinding of the block to fit that crank. I don't want to compromise anymore than needed. A buddy of mine just built a stout 383ci and purchased a new style of crank. The was very little grinding on the rod ends/caps/bolts. They did not have to take any off the block. The builder said that it depends on the block and how much core shift occurs. He said that some blocks need little to no grinding and some need a lot. He also said that it depends on the quality of the crank.

another option would be a 383ci or 395ci from a virgin bore 4 bolt 350?
Old 03-18-2003, 12:58 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1992 B4C 1LE
Engine: Proaction 412, Accel singleplane
Transmission: built 700R4 w/custom converter
Axle/Gears: stock w/later 4th gen torsen pos
sounds similar to what I am doing but I was afraid the P1sc was too small for such a big engine so I decided to destroke the engine some to make a more efficient combination. any thoughts on this?