Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

where can i fill nitrous tanks?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2002 | 04:27 PM

where can i fill nitrous tanks?

Hey, im thinking of building a nitrous oxide system. I have a lot of experience with paintball equipment and therefore bottling compressed air and running the plumbing from the tanks to the guns recivers. I would like to get a 3000 PSI 80 cubic foot scooba tank so i can use it as a fill station. And then use a couple of paintball nitrogen tanks for in the car. I also heard you can ues CO2 tanks because the n20 liquifys about the same pressure as CO2 (~800 psi), is that true?

Also i dont know where i can get a fill, and if theyll even fill a scuba tank. I called up Indiana Oxygen and they cant sell it anywhere other than medical places. Do you need any sort of licence to get it filled at performance auto shops? And does anyone know of a place to get it filled either in Indianapolis or West Lafayette?

thanks
Old 08-03-2002 | 09:49 AM

anybody?
Old 08-03-2002 | 10:15 AM

As fars as I know no license is required to fill a tank. Call around to your Local Rice shops, they usually have filling stations. I know a place by me fills 'em. It's just a performance parts store, Mainly import trash though.
Old 08-03-2002 | 10:50 AM

haha, okay, does anyone know if i can use co2 tanks? I have about five 20 oz tanks sitting around but only two 114 CI nitrogen tanks. I would like to tie all the 20 oz tanks together into 1 line, and this way I can lay them down under my passenger seat for easy access. I also have heard that you need a siphon tube and if i lay them down sideways, the tube may just pick up gas instead of liquid, but I can always just get a bent siphon tube put in at my local paintball pro shop. Does anyone know if laying them down horizontaly with a straight siphon will give me any problems?
Old 08-04-2002 | 03:25 AM
TGO Supporter

Car: 1992 B4C 1LE
Engine: Proaction 412, Accel singleplane
Transmission: built 700R4 w/custom converter
Axle/Gears: stock w/later 4th gen torsen pos
sorry to say that unless you have a CGA 660, CGA 326, or CGA N326 valve the nitrous refill is a "NO". the bottles must have siphon or be mounted upside down for full liquid pickup. the refill places are listed on all the nitrous company sites.
Old 08-04-2002 | 11:41 AM

sorry to say that unless you have a CGA 660, CGA 326, or CGA N326 valve the nitrous refill is a "NO". the bottles must have siphon or be mounted upside down for full liquid pickup. the refill places are listed on all the nitrous company sites.
Was this "NO" directed at the scuba tank or the 20 oz tanks?

And if its directed at the 20 oz tanks: Im sorry, i dont understand what you mean by the fill is a "no" do you mean its not possible to fill the tanks, or they just wont fill them at a fill station. Because im planning on using a scuba tank for my fill station, and getting that filled at a shop Which is my main question, will they fill the scuba tank at a shop? I may also have to modify the valve on the scuba tank, but im not sure how i want to set it up just yet.

Then i can just fill the smaller 20 OZ tanks the same way i would fill them with CO2. Either that, or I can replace the blow off disk on the 20 oz'ers with a 1/8" (i think its 1/8, or whatever size thread) quick disconnect and fill it though that so i dont even have to unmount the tanks from my car, because i may just mount them upside down in the trunk rather than getting sipon tubes installed.

oh, and bassically the only reason im considering N20 is because I think i can build a system fairly cheeply by using left over paintball supplies and trying to find a place that sells good solenoids. I found one, but i dont know if they sell to the general public or not.... hopefully thell respond to my email on monday. if i were going to spend $600 or so on a poewr adder, ild just get a stealth ram. But i dont have $600 at the moment, so ill try to build this system.

Last edited by hilljackofdenile; 08-04-2002 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-04-2002 | 12:38 PM
TGO Supporter

Im saying no to the fedaral law sez without one of the specific valves you cant refill unless you buy a pumping station and do it yourself illegally. you get the big tanks for transferring through gas houses (sell welding stuff too) . the name of racing nitrous is "nitrous +" go there asking for nitrous and they will think you are asking them to do something illegal. a nitrous bottle must go on a scale to safely fill it. so it will have to be able to come out of the car.
Old 08-04-2002 | 12:59 PM

Ah right right, i forgot about the scale, they have to do that when filling CO2 tanks as well. Is there any way to tell what kind of valve I have on my tanks? I know theyre perfectly legal to fill with CO2, and it sounds like N2O has bassically the same properties, liquifys about 800 psi and wont eat through alumimum. The CO2 tanks i have, have ASA threads with a push pin valve and a blow off disk. The nitrogen tanks I have are rated for 3000 psi and have an 800 psi regulator built into the valve, a 1/8" quick disconnect for filling, same ASA threads, and a pressure guage. I had heard of people using fire extinguishers with a new valve as thier nitrous oxide tank, which lead me to belive that i would have no problem using a scuba tank with a 3000 psi operation pressure as a fill station. Was i mistaken? and i did call about trying to get a real fill station from Indiana Oxygen, but they only supply to medical facilities.
Old 08-04-2002 | 01:10 PM
TGO Supporter

many scuba tanks use the luxfor a-10 or a-15 or a catalina (same as nitrous) but vavle changes would be required at least on the skuba tank. waht kind of shot are you goanna run and on what? a scuba tank will only hold 10 or 15 #'s of NO2 and a 150 shot is 6# per min the smaller bottles will even hold less. you could, if you by a pumping station, modify the hookups on it to work with your CO2 bottles but you have to have a source. the scuba bottle would work with a new valve and siphon (so you could get it filled) but transfering liquid NO2 can be a bear compared to transferring CO2. cross filling really sux sometimes, so I recommend against it. if this was for a single bottle on a motorcycle nitrous system I would say "great" but what are you going to do for the rest of the nitrous system. also do not put a regulator between the bottle and the metering jets. it cannot flow liquid or the proper SCFM of flow.
Old 08-04-2002 | 02:55 PM

hey, first i wana thank you for your input and patience with me on this. Im trying to learn what i can and cant do with nitrous oxide and this has been very helpful. I am going to run it to a 305 CFI and most of my ideas have come from this site with a few of my own ideas: http://www.dynopower.freeserve.co.uk/nitrous_oxide/

Im going to try to jet it the way he explains and mount the jets in a spacer between the throttle body and intake.

I just assumed that a scuba tank would be able to hold a lot of nitrous oxide due to its size. How big are the 10 or 15 lb tanks that holly nos sells compaired to a scuba tank (size wise i mean)? Im also not really planning on running more than a 100 shot, for fear of blowing up my engine. Might 100 be too much on a stock 305 CFI?
Old 08-04-2002 | 03:43 PM
TGO Supporter

the 10 and 15 # tanks are the same as skuba tanks