Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

troubleshoot my procharger

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2002, 09:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
troubleshoot my procharger

I have a few questions here guys. It's kind of long, but any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Also, my mods are in the sig.

1. Under load at about 5000 rpm, I am only registering 3 pounds of boost. I checked all of my hose fittings and am not leaking anywhere but a VERY small area under the tbi bonnet, just enough air to feel. The amount of power I am currently feeling isn't anywhere near to the 130+ HP I was expecting.

2. The car seems to be running very hot compared to normal. I have an aftermarket dual fan setup I installed also, and it stays on constant. Today just running around not runnning it exceptionally hard, the temps approached the red mark. That is very close to 260 degrees.

3. Even at idle my fuel pressure is 5 pounds higher than before. Before it was at eleven, which is normal for my car, and now it is at least 16. My understanding of this is that it would not effect off-idle fuel pressure, and that it would only be effected under boost.

4. My hose on the lower driver side that connects to the intercooler has popped off the intercooler twice now, even with the hose butting up againsed the intercooler body and the hose clamp on as tight as possible. I checked for any obstructions that would perhaps block airflow and came up short. Could this have anything to do with the low boost levels?

5. The body of the procharger is getting very hot, to hot to hold your hand on for more than a couple seconds. Is this normal? The bearings sound normal, and the belt is not overtensioned.

Thanks guys,
Matt

BTW its a P600B with a 9# pulley. The hoses and brackets are for a camaro, but the fuel stuff and TBI bonnet are for the TBI trucks. ATI pieced the kit together for me.

Last edited by onebinky; 05-19-2002 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-20-2002, 07:43 PM
Supreme Member

UPDATE: I got most of those problems in the bag, but i found a couple more.

1. My boost levels are only at 5#'s, much better than before but still not near the nine.

2. When I get on the throttle, my fuel pressure jumps from about 16 pounds to near 100. the only thing I can think of is the injectors are locking up from the additional pressure.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated

Matt
Old 05-20-2002, 11:23 PM

i have a most dubiuos diagnosis of your delima. Your throttle bonnet is inflamed causing premature detonation! put you some liquid nos on your hemoglobin and it reduce the swelling! Budda says... don't bust your nugget if your methane toxicity is above 5.0 lph (liquidotiouis phenoferene homodatious)
Old 05-21-2002, 06:02 PM
Supreme Member

Shut up idiot. :lala:

Any serious responses that could maybe HELP me?

Also, at idle my fuel pressure is riding at about 20 PSI now, and with the FMU vacuum line hooked up it raises it to between 40 to 60 PSI. I was told that at idle it shouldn't be affected at all.

I know many of you have been through this before, please give me a hand!

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited by onebinky; 05-21-2002 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-21-2002, 10:25 PM

Low boost, hot housing tells me that the belt is slipping. Is the pulley blistering hot?!?! If it is, then tighten the belt.

As for the hose/tube popping off, is there a lip on the hose/tube? If not, take some 60 grid sand paper and rough up the end of the tube. Also use brake clean on the connecting hose and the tubing to get off all oil/grease.
Old 05-22-2002, 05:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I've never worked with the TBI before, but i can maybe give you some ideas...

As far as the FMU, it should have no effect on the fuel system (like you said), when at idle, the fuel pressure should be able to be adjusted by a aftermarket AFPR (set at no vacuum), then only when you see boost, the fuel pressure should begin to rise above the set point, because the FMU is taking over from there.

The hose clamps that are provided with the ATI kit are junk, get some t- clamps or turbo clamps from a heavy truck parts place, so if your popping hoses off, chances are you have leaks at these points, prior to the hose coming off.

Also check for belt dust on the front of your blower for signs of belt slip.

hope this helps ya
later
larry
Old 05-22-2002, 05:30 PM
Supreme Member

Thanks for the replies guys. As far as the fuel pressure problem goes, it was a combination of a small vacuum leak on the same line as my FMU, and a small piece of rubber came loose in my fuel line and was blocking the return line opening.

I also found out that my kit was rated at 9 pounds of boost at 6000 rpm. The highest I have revved my motor is 5000 rpm. From what my dealer told me, it is about 1# for every 500 rpm. That brings me down to about 7#'s of boost. With the engine mods I have I figure that would account for the extra # or so that I am missing.

I guess it's time for a smaller pulley!

BTW- I'll check the belt when I get home just to verify that it is not slipping.

Thanks again guys,
Matt
Old 05-22-2002, 07:29 PM
Supreme Member

sounds about right....i had 12psi setup for 5500rpm and i saw about 10 or so, hard to read 11psi since it went from 10-15 on the gauge, but i always shifted at 5000 and always got around 8-10psi depending on belt slippage
Old 05-22-2002, 11:17 PM

Two questions for ya.

1. Where are you taking your boost readings from, and how did you hook up the guage?
I just drilled and tapped a hole in my bonnet and hooked up my guage from there, but this doesn't let me see vacuum. I'd much rather get manifold vacuum and boost, but I'm not sure where, or exactly how to hook up the guage that way.

2. Where exactly is Channahon, Il? I'm about an hour north of Chicago. Maybe we can do some supercharged TBI tuning someday together. I've had my Paxton for about 3 years now, and it seems to be doing what it claims to do, but I'm always looking for more power.
Old 05-23-2002, 07:06 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Car: '88 Formula, '94 Corvette, '95 Bird
Engine: LC9, LT1
Transmission: TKX, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, 3.23
I'd love to see pix of your engine sometime. Never seen a blown TBI car.

-- Joe
Old 05-23-2002, 09:50 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1992 B4C 1LE
Engine: Proaction 412, Accel singleplane
Transmission: built 700R4 w/custom converter
Axle/Gears: stock w/later 4th gen torsen pos
I have made responded to many posts and told many local customers that I could do it if they wanted me to (I have done ATI TPI cars and TBI trucks) so I knew that it would be a relatively simple deal to do but most have decided not to, but I would be curious to see pics of your finished product as well, do a mutiple response to show more than one pic if necessary.
Old 05-23-2002, 02:01 PM

This is the only pic of mine on the internet.

Old 05-24-2002, 06:50 PM
Supreme Member

1. I am taking my vacuum/boost readings from the main vacuum port on the back of the manifold. That seems to be the only place below the throttle blades on the TBI car.

2. I'm located about 1 hour south of chicago. If your familiar with the area, its about 5 minutes from joliet.

3. As soon as I get my engine compartment cleaned up I will get some pics for ya.

Matt