Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

Superam or Mini-ram

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2002, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 Iroc
Engine: tree-fiddy
Transmission: hmm..a 700 or a T5..guess!!
Superam or Mini-ram

Whats going on peoples??.....same here trying to finish my car..anyway I have a 9lb Vortech going on my L98 motor, stuffed with an Accel #74220 blower cam 9:1 slugs,with all other rebuild parts...my finishing dilema consists of which manifold to use??...A Superam?? or Mini-ram??....the SR is cheaper (w/o the DFI option) but I heard that the mini-ram is most efficent when mated to a blower???....gggrrrrrrr..also Heads Trickflow? Fastburn? Air-Flow Research? Edlebrock? I dont know I hear so many different things Idont want to spend 1400 bux on a set of Afr's and I could have sacrifced the 20hp difference and bought a pair of TFS for 850.00. or maybe the AFR's are the best out there. Well I have rattled on long enough. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-11-2002, 08:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Save yourself several hundred dollars and buy a stealth ram or do the lt1 intake swap.
Old 05-12-2002, 12:35 AM

These choices are tough. I love my trick flow heads, I don't think it would be worth 500 more to go with the afrs. As for the intake, it all depends what you want to do with the car. A miniram will give you higher peak hp, lower torque, and a shorter power band. The superram will give you some more low end torque. What kind of tranny are you using? Now, because you have a blower, you might not need to worry abou the lack of low end in the miniram, bucause you will have enough to get you to that peak hp faster. A superram would probibly be best for an automatic car, and a miniram for a stick. I plan on switching to a miniram after i get my 383 6-speed.
Old 05-12-2002, 01:45 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 2000 Trans Am
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Even when my car still had a MAF sensor and stock ECM, I had a mini ram with my vortech. Low end? It was ALL there. You can light the tires up anytime you want too off idle. My car had a 700R4 in it at the time too.

Id say go with the AFR heads. In my opinion if you are going to spend the money, at least get something worth having. Either the AFR195's or a set of the Brodix Track 1 heads. Both offer a very good value for the money spent. Its not worth skimping when it comes to heads.

Then, purchase a Holley Stealth Ram intake. Or the LT1 intake modified. Either seem to offer a pretty good gain and both are much cheaper than the super ram or mini ram. And easier to mess with the fuel rails or change gaskets if you need to.

Good luck.

<------ Been down a lot of these roads and speaking from EXPERIENCE
Old 05-12-2002, 03:08 PM

Car: 86 Iroc
Engine: tree-fiddy
Transmission: hmm..a 700 or a T5..guess!!
Thanx for all of your responses....I did a search on the recent yammerings on the Stealth-Ram...and I am kind of impressed!!! I would still like to do a littke more research be fore I make my decision, but on the more positive side....I found a company in the current issue of CHP advertising AFR 190's for only 1000 bux!!!! hmmmm........is this 2 good 2 be true?? The company is called "Powerline Engine"...and the website is www.powerlineengines.com Im gonna check it out. Thanx again!!!!
Old 05-13-2002, 08:21 AM

Miniram. The Superram is a bastard to work on. The miniram is small and 1 piece which will help eliminate vaccume leaks. You shouldn't have any problems with low-end torque with either manifold. I am doing a similar set-up. I am using a Paxton with a miniram. I also, am running AFR 190's.