Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Need your input, CAMARO Japanese Heat Extraction Hood *seriously*

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 04:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28 Heritage Edition
Engine: L98
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23:1
Need your input, CAMARO Japanese Heat Extraction Hood *seriously*

The hood projects are dead. I made the serious mistake of trusting a friend, who turned out to be a fiend. Should the need arise, you'll hear more about this...
Attached Thumbnails Need your input, CAMARO Japanese Heat Extraction Hood *seriously*-3533.jpg  

Last edited by Dante93GTZ; 01-17-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 GTA/93 S13/91 Si
Engine: 5.7 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: Need your input, Japanese Heat Extraction Hood *seriously*

id buy a camaro just for this hood..lol..id say prolly about $600-$800...idk tho :P
would be awsome..
and id like the 3 vents..
Old 04-30-2010, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.08

I'd buy one, single main cowl vent. I wouldn't pay more than $700 shipped.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 87 player's trans am a4u (pepsi car
Engine: 305 tpi
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 3:42

Kind of looks like the hood set up like the 6 shelby coups.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:51 PM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi

Get him to make it for a Firebird, or at least....Just a Jongbloed version for Firebirds (just the rise, no extractors).

or

I had (may still have) a list of people ready with the $ to spend on such a hood for Firebirds.

Make it & it will sell.

Camaros have lots of hoods to choose from. Firebirds have like only THREE, yet they are the aerodynamic choice for drag racers. Where's the Firebird love?

Last edited by Stephen; 10-17-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:21 PM

Car: 92 camaro B4C
Engine: 305
Transmission: t5

Where's the Firebird love?
Old 04-30-2010, 07:11 PM
Supreme Member

Its also important to note: When/If this hood is built, any motor that fit under the stock hood will fit under this hood too...
Old 04-30-2010, 07:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dante93GTZ
Its also important to note: When/If this hood is built, any motor that fit under the stock hood will fit under this hood too...
Which is one reason I want/need a taller hood, but not a simple old cowl induction.

Would he build it for 'birds too?
Old 04-30-2010, 07:36 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Stephen
Which is one reason I want/need a taller hood, but not a simple old cowl induction.

Would he build it for 'birds too?
We are going to start with the Camaro hood, but once that is done, we will tally interest in the 'bird hoods and then go from there. It would definitely seem that there is a strong interest, but we'll start here and see how it goes.

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2010, 07:47 PM
Banned

We are going to start with the Camaro hood, but once that is done, we will tally interest in the 'bird hoods and then go from there. It would definitely seem that there is a strong interest, but we'll start here and see how it goes.

Thanks!
Camaros already have the Jongbloed/Sunoco. The Japanese Extraction hood isn't much more than a modified version of that, and I know there is already interest in the Firebird version, but OK.

Figures....Everybody wants to start with the car that already has a bazillion choices. No wonder the extractor hood started on a Firebird first. He had no choices in hoods.

My (and others) wallet is open & ready, when the Firebird gets one. The market for the Firebird ones is already out there, but go ahead & go looking for the Camaro market. We'll be waiting.

Am I bitter? Yeah. Sorry. Just really frustrates the hell outta me, after having talked to like 4 different companies, showing them my Photoshop renditions, then suddenly they just stop communicating. Pretty simple design too, so it isn't a big complicated build either. I already have the buyers, just no builder!

I guess Firebirds are just already sexy & don't need the help that Camaros do. ;P
Old 04-30-2010, 08:11 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Stephen
Camaros already have the Jongbloed/Sunoco. The Japanese Extraction hood isn't much more than a modified version of that, and I know there is already interest in the Firebird version, but OK.

Figures....Everybody wants to start with the car that already has a bazillion choices. No wonder the extractor hood started on a Firebird first. He had no choices in hoods.

My (and others) wallet is open & ready, when the Firebird gets one. The market for the Firebird ones is already out there, but go ahead & go looking for the Camaro market. We'll be waiting.

Am I bitter? Yeah. Sorry. Just really frustrates the hell outta me, after having talked to like 4 different companies, showing them my Photoshop renditions, then suddenly they just stop communicating. Pretty simple design too, so it isn't a big complicated build either. I already have the buyers, just no builder!

I guess Firebirds are just already sexy & don't need the help that Camaros do. ;P
I will see what I can do to at least obtain a straight Firebird hood......... To be continued on the 'birds. Well, actually, give me an idea of what 'bird owners want in an aftermarket hood. Are we talking a repro of something else or a Camaro style offering just mated to the Firebird... Info please!

The nice thing about this particular venture (as opposed to the other Jap hood reproduction efforts we've all seen) is that this will all be done by my boss, myself and a few other people locally, right here in Tennessee, all IN HOUSE! We will make the mold, we will make the hoods. No outsourcing anything. Therefore, this can become a reality VERY easily and quickly. In fact, I am picking up an RS hood tomorrow to get things started. If I can find a 'bird hood as easy as I did an RS one, I'll grab it too.

Last edited by Dante93GTZ; 04-30-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:33 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: empty bay (for now)
Transmission: Built T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 stock posi disc

I dont have a bird, but every thread I see about this hood has a dozen bird owners asking for a bird version. Like Stephen said, theres probably way more people with the desire and cash to drop now for a bird hood as opposed to camaro owners.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:57 AM
Banned

I will see what I can do to at least obtain a straight Firebird hood......... To be continued on the 'birds. Well, actually, give me an idea of what 'bird owners want in an aftermarket hood. Are we talking a repro of something else or a Camaro style offering just mated to the Firebird... Info please!
Lemme dig up the threads I've started over the last couple of years, on this subject, and you can see for yourself what others have to say and read what they want. Or if you want it before I get back to you with it, you can search by my User Name by looking for the words "Pontiac" "Jongbloed" "Sunoco". My intention in the beginning was to have a Jongbloed/Sunoco hood that has been available for the Camaro for years, made available for the Firebirds too.

Personally? I would want like the second version I posted above. Raised center, but with the 4 mounting to swap in the 4 stock faux vents. And the only reason they are faux, is because the underside of the hood is not open. Open up the underside & they would allow hot air to rise up & out. The fiberglass version could be made sealed (just like the RAII hoods are made anyways), then left up to the customer to cut out the underside to allow the air flow through, if they wanted to.

I'll PM you what I've found, since you changed the Title to direct this thread only for Camaro versions.....

Last edited by Stephen; 05-01-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:57 AM

Car: 91 GTA, 96 Olds LSS
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T5
Re: Need your input, CAMARO Japanese Heat Extraction Hood *seriously*

Wow, that looks pretty good. Looks like it fits the car just fine to me.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:47 PM

Car: 1988 IROC
Axle/Gears: 3.08 Posi 10 Bolt w/ aluminum drums

I'd be very interested in one, but it would need to be priced within line of other fiberglass hoods.....I'd say $450-$550 plus shipping/crating..
Old 05-02-2010, 10:15 PM

Car: 87 T/A GTA
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.27:1

just thought id chime in for another 'bird owner wanting a new hood to go with. i really liked the second pic that stephen posted, the one with the hood vents. the open one also looks pretty good.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:49 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 Iroc-z Convertible

not meaning to sound negative or anything but the reason he is wanting to know it is time consuming (not horribly since they are professional) to make a mold. and it kind of sucks when alot of people are all onboard until it is actually finished then no one wants them for a while. But yeah I think a bird/TA version is long overdue too. I don't have one so I am as unbiased as you can get( I don't care one way or the other)but I think it is a good idea. There is a wide open market and no supply but just don't overprice it so bad no one other than the 1% of the U.S. elite can afford it. I like the 1st and 2nd version that Stephen posted. The one that was originally posted for the Camaro is way to R*CEY for me made in the US or Japan I don't like the design. might look good on a twin turbo civic though.

Last edited by jstoltz; 05-02-2010 at 10:54 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 87_TA_GTA
just thought id chime in for another 'bird owner wanting a new hood to go with. i really liked the second pic that stephen posted, the one with the hood vents. the open one also looks pretty good.
Originally Posted by jstoltz
not meaning to sound negative or anything but the reason he is wanting to know it is time consuming (not horribly since they are professional) to make a mold. and it kind of sucks when alot of people are all onboard until it is actually finished then no one wants them for a while. But yeah I think a bird/TA version is long overdue too. I don't have one so I am as unbiased as you can get( I don't care one way or the other)but I think it is a good idea. There is a wide open market and no supply but just don't overprice it so bad no one other than the 1% of the U.S. elite can afford it. I like the 1st and 2nd version that Stephen posted. The one that was originally posted for the Camaro is way to R*CEY for me made in the US or Japan I don't like the design. might look good on a twin turbo civic though.
We'll leave the Camaro guys alone, since he started a thread for us Firebird guys.....
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body...-firebird.html

Vote for my hood designs over there. (like you did here)
Old 05-02-2010, 11:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 pontiac firebird
Engine: 6.5 turbo diesel
Transmission: t56
Axle/Gears: Ws6 axle

i would also take one for a bird between 600 and 700 shipped. just the main cowl scoop and heat extractor not the side ones tho. i know your just doing camaro's now but every one makes hoods for camaro's and like stephen said theres only 4 hoods for the birds stock, plain cowl, IMSA, and the ugly ramair 1 or 2. so there is gonna be a lot higher demand to make one for the birds.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:07 AM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 2M6, 87 'Bird 88 'burb
Engine: LX9, LG4, L05
Transmission: F23, 700r4, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.63, 2.73, 4.10

I would be interested in a Camaro heat exractor, but I would only want the center vent.

I could probably go $600+packing and shipping, but that would have to be ready to Prime/paint both sides bolt on. also, would the "vent" have some kind of a grate to keep leaves and the like out?
Old 05-03-2010, 06:11 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by ericjon262
I would be interested in a Camaro heat exractor, but I would only want the center vent.

I could probably go $600+packing and shipping, but that would have to be ready to Prime/paint both sides bolt on. also, would the "vent" have some kind of a grate to keep leaves and the like out?
The vent would be screened; I've got a few ideas on the material for it, but it would not just be chicken wire

Thanks for the input guys! Keep it coming!
Old 05-03-2010, 07:58 AM

Car: 1985 Iroc

I like all 3 Vents but my question is would the underside be smooth for show or would it be conclave? I like the smooth idea but would bump the price up some.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:34 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Psycho139
I like all 3 Vents but my question is would the underside be smooth for show or would it be conclave? I like the smooth idea but would bump the price up some.
The hood will be finished on the underside; No sense in making a nice hood if it only looks good when its closed! :P
Old 05-03-2010, 02:04 PM

I forgot to mention in my previous post that I would prefer center vent only..
I think adding the side vents makes it look like a wannabe Supra hood( in other words a little ricerish).
but thats my
Old 05-03-2010, 03:00 PM

Car: 1985 Iroc

The hood will be finished on the underside; No sense in making a nice hood if it only looks good when its closed! :P
Aces i'm down if you make it...
Old 05-03-2010, 03:54 PM
Supreme Member

Here's my thought; We make the heat extractor hood exactly as pictured in the first post, but WITHOUT the side vents, just the center. How many of you that had mentioned wanting the hood as pictured would still be interested if it just is the center cowl with the heat vent?

I'm also thinking that the main cowl section needs to be slightly taller. It looks like its 1.5" now, I'm thinking 2" or 2.5". Opinions?
Old 05-03-2010, 04:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '91 Camaro Z28, '85 Camaro Z28
Engine: LB9, LB9
Transmission: T5, 700r4
Axle/Gears: Eaton 3.73 Posi, 3.23 Posi

Here's my thought; We make the heat extractor hood exactly as pictured in the first post, but WITHOUT the side vents, just the center. How many of you that had mentioned wanting the hood as pictured would still be interested if it just is the center cowl with the heat vent?

I'm also thinking that the main cowl section needs to be slightly taller. It looks like its 1.5" now, I'm thinking 2" or 2.5". Opinions?

I would not be buying one but I do like the design you mentioned. same basic design with only the center extractor and about 2" or 2.5" tall.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 2M6, 87 'Bird 88 'burb
Engine: LX9, LG4, L05
Transmission: F23, 700r4, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.63, 2.73, 4.10

I DO NOT WANT ANOTHER BIG HOOD!!! part of the reason I'm putting an LT1 in my car so I don't have to have a cowl hood for carb fitment. If it was up to me, the hood would have barely any rise to it at all.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: empty bay (for now)
Transmission: Built T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 stock posi disc

ive got a carb on a rpm airgap manifold under the stock hood. it just requires a drop base air cleaner.

but i agree with the majority on the side vents, they do look a little to "import"
Old 05-03-2010, 10:51 PM

Car: 1986 IROC-Z/28
Engine: 406 CID SBC
Transmission: 700R4 A4

imo, the hood would look...weird... w/o the side vents. people have been wanting this hood, they havent been saying "i want this awesome hood... but i dont like the side vents" to me, it seems it would be just as easy to make a mold w/ the vents, and then close them up and make another mold w/o them. Its hard to say the hood looks "import'ish" seeing how its only made in Japan.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:31 AM

1.5, 2 or 2.5 rise, doesnt matter, I'd buy it either way...
I wouldnt go much over 2 though.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:43 AM

Car: 1988 Camaro Sport Coupe
Engine: 5.0 305 Carb'd
Axle/Gears: 3.23

i believe 2 - 2.5 inch would be perfect. id def buy one. ive been looking for a hood for a DECENT price. not 600 dollars + shipping. cant say id buy one tomorrow, id like to see fitment and everything, but would for sure buy one in the future. hope it all works out. its a very simple hood to make really. if somebody can make it in their backyard why cant a professional make one? dont make sense.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:09 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: To many to list

Good Luck. You have been on here long enough to know that everyone and their brothers uncle will want one UNTIL its time to pay for it..I still dont see the fascination with it though..Looks like a big funnel..
Old 05-06-2010, 11:27 PM

Car: '82 Camaro Z28
Engine: 383
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 with powetrax

I really really want a jongbloed in 4-5" which doesnt seem to exist anymore.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:36 AM
Supreme Member

Any other ideaS?
Old 05-13-2010, 02:35 PM

Car: 1986 IROC-Z/28
Engine: 406 CID SBC
Transmission: 700R4 A4

imo, you should start with the original hood, then go from there. if need be for clearance issues, or ascetics, add a small cowl *even though the original looks like it has a small cowl already. but stop there. everyone will want his/her own little "tweak" and end up stopping this from getting started. if there is ACTUALLY a company out there that is going to do this, let them do it in the hoods original design. I'm sure the hood manufacture will get PLENTY of customers off the "original" design alone. I'm also sure the people that want a bigger cowl, additional/less vents, or some other minor detail, will buy this hood in its original design anyway just so they can get their own copy of this hood that's been talked about for years. if these same said people want to modify the original designed hood, then they, or a body shop, can do so. but to have 100 people saying they want this hood, yet 100 people saying they want this or dont want that, will halt production and make us go back to step 1.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:50 PM

Car: 1985 Camaro Z28
Engine: 305 mild build up
Axle/Gears: Stock

A guy here made a nice one for birds. Here is his thread.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/fabr...tor-build.html

And he did a damn fine job.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:03 AM
Supreme Member

Still trying to find a straight Camaro hood.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:20 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI

im game for the hood, all three vents is my vote.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:34 PM

Car: 1989 G92 IROC-Z
Engine: 5 Liter 305
Axle/Gears: 3.45

I wont be buy one, but a single vent is all thats needed. 3 looks R I C E Y and unless it serves a purpose thats functional, it's considered fake.
keeping your windshield washer fluid cool doesnt count.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:28 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: Camaro
Engine: 350-Vortec-carbed
Transmission: 700-r4
Axle/Gears: stockola, right now anyhow

I like it.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:48 PM
Supreme Member

Last edited by Dante93GTZ; 01-17-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:08 PM

Car: 1989 G92 IROC-Z
Engine: 5 Liter 305
Axle/Gears: 3.45

Awesome! I am really glad we are still getting parts made!
I have always liked the 82-84 hoods but, they are really close together and sort of small compared to the Z28/IROCZ 85-90 hoods.
So - I propose a 82-84 Z28 hood blisters sized like the 85-90's. That means they would be a little further a part, and bigger. I would also like to see them with openings in them like the originals. Just my sole opinion.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:07 PM

Car: 83 camaro z28, 92 xj
Engine: 305 Crossfire (lu5)
Axle/Gears: richmond gear 3.73:1

personally i would like to see the main scoop raised slightly, and the sides to have a longer slope to them rather than just falling off... if something like that were done. i would be one of the first on board

Last edited by Spike_Akers; 10-17-2010 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:18 PM
Supreme Member

Last edited by Dante93GTZ; 01-17-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1986 Trans am
Engine: 5.3 LM7
Transmission: T56 6 speed
Axle/Gears: Dana 44 w/ 3.55's

My plan is to build the heat extractor hood very similarly to the Japanese one. It will have the same basic shape on the main rise, only a little larger... and I mean just a little (noticeable, but not in your face). I'm not 100% sure about the side vents; I'd hate to make anything too flashy and ruin the clean look of the car. We'll see.

As for the main vent, water control is a huge issue as we all know. My idea is to make a rain catch/gutter inside the vent to collect water and on the underside of the hood, there will be a drainage system that will drain it somewhere better than right on top of the engine. The vent will not be open to the elements vertically, there will be some overhang over the drop in, so water/snow/sun won't be beating down on the top of the engine.

We will hopefully have our materials the first part of the week and we will begin prepping the mold (I assume, if all goes well) but the end of the week or possibly the beginning of next.

Either way, this hood will be bad ***! I really think this is going to knock people's socks off.

Stay tuned.
Soooo, will it be for a camaro or a firebird? Because with my 86 trans am build going to paint soon, I could very seriously benefit from a nice looking bird hood. I would be ready to buy if a nice looking heat extractor bird hood was available.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:43 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by whitedevilTA
Soooo, will it be for a camaro or a firebird? Because with my 86 trans am build going to paint soon, I could very seriously benefit from a nice looking bird hood. I would be ready to buy if a nice looking heat extractor bird hood was available.
We'll be working on both, one for the Camaro and one for the Firebird.

It seems there is more input as to what people want on the Firebird side of things but its looking like the Sunoco/Jongbloed style with or w/o heat extractor will win on the Firebird - We'll see.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:58 PM

Car: 83 camaro z28, 92 xj
Engine: 305 Crossfire (lu5)
Axle/Gears: richmond gear 3.73:1

My plan is to build the heat extractor hood very similarly to the Japanese one. It will have the same basic shape on the main rise, only a little larger... and I mean just a little (noticeable, but not in your face). I'm not 100% sure about the side vents; I'd hate to make anything too flashy and ruin the clean look of the car. We'll see.

As for the main vent, water control is a huge issue as we all know. My idea is to make a rain catch/gutter inside the vent to collect water and on the underside of the hood, there will be a drainage system that will drain it somewhere better than right on top of the engine. The vent will not be open to the elements vertically, there will be some overhang over the drop in, so water/snow/sun won't be beating down on the top of the engine.

We will hopefully have our materials the first part of the week and we will begin prepping the mold (I assume, if all goes well) but the end of the week or possibly the beginning of next.

Either way, this hood will be bad ***! I really think this is going to knock people's socks off.

Stay tuned.
ok, I think I'm sold lol
Old 10-18-2010, 08:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion

well, if this even pans out, i may be interested in one. I've been looking for something different for my 92. However, the jongbloed style wont really work with the 91-92 bird nose
Old 10-18-2010, 09:24 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by //<86TA>\\
well, if this even pans out, i may be interested in one. I've been looking for something different for my 92. However, the jongbloed style wont really work with the 91-92 bird nose
I hadn't considered the 91-92 nose to be honest. Maybe we need a photoshop of Stephen's design on a 91-92... anyone?

Quick Reply: Need your input, CAMARO Japanese Heat Extraction Hood *seriously*