Pacific Region Regional board for Pacific Third Gen owners.

Extra parts

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 09:43 PM
Moderator/TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 IROC 92 Z-28 91 Ragtop
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 700-r4
Extra parts

If anyone is interested I have the following extra 3rd Gen Camaro and Firebird parts six-pack or case cheap, 'cause I don't wanna hassle with packing/shipping outside HI. Conditions are excellent, unless stated otherwise.

1. '87 IROC-Z Camaro rear bumper, white.

2. '87 IROC-Z Camaro L/R plastic rear fender bottom pieces, white.

3. '87 IROC-Z Camaro L/R plastic door bottom pieces, white.

4. '91-92 black "salt and pepper" door panels, fabric is good, but cardboard is junk. Glueing a layer of new, thin cardboard will fix them.

5. 91-92 FireBird dash pad, will also fit Camaro, like new [$50].

Most of this stuff became excess when I installed '91-92 aerodyamics. BTW, the FB dash pad differs from the Camaro by having a little indention in the center. The speaker panels are also different.
Old 06-14-2004, 02:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would you happen to have other interior trim parts laying around? I melted a couple pieces of my trim accidentally....

Do you take payments in bottles or cans?

Laters,
Scott
Old 06-14-2004, 11:11 AM
Moderator/TGO Supporter

Originally posted by 3rdGenBlackBird
Would you happen to have other interior trim parts laying around? I melted a couple pieces of my trim accidentally....

Do you take payments in bottles or cans?

Laters,
Scott
I had a bunch of tan-colored parts left over when I changed to a black interior, but those are mostly gone [except for my headliner which remains annoyingly tan].

Which specific parts do you need?

Bottles or cans doesn't matter, it's what's inside that counts!

Cheers,
Ed
Old 06-14-2004, 10:24 PM

I'm looking for the plastic pieces at the rear of the cab. For example, the rear ceiling trim (at the back of the headliner) that has the holes/clips for the wire connector piece for 91/92 third brake lights. Also, some hatch trim pieces, don't remember which ones exactly, though. They are all in decent shape, so I never really cared. But that rear ceiling trim was in perfect shape until I accidentally melted it out of shape.

With a huge exception for my center console, the rest of my interior is in great shape. If I needed a dash pad, I'd snag yours up in a second. $50 is a great deal. Oh, and I think I snapped a couple clips for my passenger side a-piller trim, oh well.

If you happen to have any of that stuff, let me know since I get paid this week. I'll be happy to take it off your hands. If they are tan colored, I guess I'd have to get a can of that trim spray stuff....

Laters,
Scott
Old 06-14-2004, 11:02 PM
Moderator/TGO Supporter

I'm looking for the plastic pieces at the rear of the cab. For example, the rear ceiling trim (at the back of the headliner) that has the holes/clips for the wire connector piece for 91/92 third brake lights. Also, some hatch trim pieces, don't remember which ones exactly, though. They are all in decent shape, so I never really cared. But that rear ceiling trim was in perfect shape until I accidentally melted it out of shape.

With a huge exception for my center console, the rest of my interior is in great shape. If I needed a dash pad, I'd snag yours up in a second. $50 is a great deal. Oh, and I think I snapped a couple clips for my passenger side a-piller trim, oh well.

If you happen to have any of that stuff, let me know since I get paid this week. I'll be happy to take it off your hands. If they are tan colored, I guess I'd have to get a can of that trim spray stuff....

Laters,
Scott
The FB dash pad is interesting ... I bought an extra 9-bolt 3.27 rear and axles from a FB 5.7 TPI car in a wrecking yard as a backup for my '87, the dash pad was like new, so rather than see it go to the crusher I bought it, knowing that sometime, somewhere, someone will be better off.

I have an extra center console minus the top that you can have free, sorry I don't have the top piece, but I have access to a couple of local parts yards that have 3rd gen stuff all the time. If you want the top, let me know, don't recall the prices, but they're cheap.

The other tan stuff is gone, basically just discarded 'cause I couldn't find anyone who wanted them.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:43 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 TTA
Engine: LC2
Transmission: Worn-out 200R4
Axle/Gears: BW 9-bolt, 3.27's
I need TWO tops to consoles. The one if the Firebird is junk but still held on by one hinge. The GTA's top is really trashed, I just ripped it off and it's still sitting in the back collecting dust. Quote me a price and maybe we can work a deal. Oh, I still got the tape casette holder that came with the GTA too...!
Old 06-15-2004, 11:06 PM
Moderator/TGO Supporter

Originally posted by pvt num 11
I need TWO tops to consoles. The one if the Firebird is junk but still held on by one hinge. The GTA's top is really trashed, I just ripped it off and it's still sitting in the back collecting dust. Quote me a price and maybe we can work a deal. Oh, I still got the tape casette holder that came with the GTA too...!
I don't have the console tops, just the bottom part of a tan one, ready to be thrown out. What else do I have that you need? BTW, I see quite a few 3rd Gens moving through the salvage yards at Schofield and Shafter. Have you checked them?
Old 06-16-2004, 02:15 PM
Supreme Member

No, and I have no excuse for that, as I live right across from McComb gate by Kemoo Farms. You should come out to whatever we do next as a group, good to know people near my location.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:19 AM

Do I need some type of ID to get there? I've been to one of them before on two occasions, but I was with people with base ID's. I'd love to go through them. I had a blast in WA at this one yard that was like 1 acre of just f-bodies. Weren't that cheap though.

I completely trashed my console top yesterday. The part with the switches is in like 4 pieces, and it's a two handed job to put down my windows (one switch at a time, too). That's what happens when the previous owner hacks up the console top to install a megashifter and cuts corners. Now I have a broken shifter and a shattered center console... haha. My entire console just likes a well full of crap with a shifter sticking out the center!

I was going to pick up a later 4th gen manual console in WA this summer and bring it back with me, but now I need one much sooner. If anyone knows of any wrecked manual 4th gens (97/98+ I think) let me know! Otherwise I gotta trust some stranger on ebay....

Ed, if you are just going to junk that, then I will take it off your hands. I figure, I'm always breaking stuff anyway, it never hurts to have a spare. Let me know what you drink!

Also, does anyone know a place to get (wrecked) 4th gen stuff locally? I don't mind paying a premium, I just don't want to be raped.

Laters,
Scott
Old 06-17-2004, 10:58 AM
Moderator/TGO Supporter

Scott -- Yup, gotta have military ID, fortunately I'm retired Army so I can sponsor you inside. Be sure to wear footwear, not flipflops. How about Sat a.m.? You can park'n ride with me from Aiea. The console bottom is yours, just take it away. Ed

Do I need some type of ID to get there? I've been to one of them before on two occasions, but I was with people with base ID's. I'd love to go through them. I had a blast in WA at this one yard that was like 1 acre of just f-bodies. Weren't that cheap though.
Ed, if you are just going to junk that, then I will take it off your hands. I figure, I'm always breaking stuff anyway, it never hurts to have a spare. Let me know what you drink!

Also, does anyone know a place to get (wrecked) 4th gen stuff locally? I don't mind paying a premium, I just don't want to be raped.

Laters,
Scott
Old 06-17-2004, 07:09 PM

Originally posted by Duck
Scott -- Yup, gotta have military ID, fortunately I'm retired Army so I can sponsor you inside. Be sure to wear footwear, not flipflops. How about Sat a.m.? You can park'n ride with me from Aiea. The console bottom is yours, just take it away. Ed
That'd be great if you could sponsor me in! I have no idea where things are outside of honolulu, though. Sat morning is fine with me.

I'll pm you my cell number later today when I get off of work. I think the boss is coming by!

Laters,
Scott
Old 06-18-2004, 10:22 PM
Moderator/TGO Supporter

During lunch I sauntered over to the SB salvage yard to scope out the cars. One looks pretty good -- an 85 Z28 TPI [most likely 5.0], engine, automatic [sorry, heh] and car looks mostly intact ... dunno if it runs or which rear it has. The car is open for bidding starting at $300. Looks pretty restorable to me. And remember, except for the injectors, the TPI is the same as the 350 version. I shot digital photos of what's there. Oh, there's Chevelle with a full roll cage setup for ProGas old style...

1 of 3 image messages...

Last edited by Duck; 09-05-2006 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:25 PM
Moderator/TGO Supporter

3rd Gen salvage opportunities 2 of 3

Old 06-18-2004, 10:30 PM
Moderator/TGO Supporter

3rd Gen salvage cars 3 of 3. And let me add -- there are several hundred more cars impounded out near "Area-X" that were collected as abandoned after deploying 10,000 soldiers overseas ... those cars will be coming through the Army salvage yards in the next couple of months.

Old 06-18-2004, 11:33 PM

Real yards!... Oooohh I like it. Where is that place exactly now?

I've only been to "Abe's Ripoffs" and "We-Pull-It's" here, so it's nice to see a regular yard.

Laters,
Scott
Old 06-19-2004, 12:01 AM
Moderator/TGO Supporter

Real yards!... Oooohh I like it. Where is that place exactly now?

I've only been to "Abe's Ripoffs" and "We-Pull-It's" here, so it's nice to see a regular yard.

Laters,
Scott
Schofield Barracks. Are we still on for tomorrow 9 a.m.? I sent you Yahoo mail.
Old 06-19-2004, 12:07 AM

Yeah, I got your email and printed it out earlier. You want to meet at 9 or 10? You gave me two different times.

Laters.
Old 06-19-2004, 12:19 AM
Moderator/TGO Supporter

Yeah, I got your email and printed it out earlier. You want to meet at 9 or 10? You gave me two different times.
Laters.
9 a.m. is best, avoid the rush.

When you pull up outside, I'll tie-up the dogs, open the gate and you can pull your FB inside the carport, then we'll take my car. I guess we'll be done about noon. Anyway, you've got my cell if there's a problem. If anyone else is looking for something in particular, let me know and I'll report back. Cya, Ed
Old 06-19-2004, 12:31 AM

Alright, sounds good. See ya' tomorrow then.

Laters,
Scott
Old 06-19-2004, 07:39 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 RS
Engine: 383 in building process
Transmission: 700r4
If anyone else is looking for something in particular, let me know and I'll report back. Cya, Ed
T-5's & 9 bolt rears for me Let me know.
Old 06-19-2004, 02:31 PM
Supreme Member

I want a right rear lens assembly - the one on my Firebird is cracked. I'll have to drag my lazy butt over there myself, though, good looking scavenging stuff there in those pictures, including a center consoel lid! YESH!
Old 06-20-2004, 12:03 PM
Moderator/TGO Supporter

pvt num 11 -- "I want a right rear lens assembly, the one on my Firebird is cracked, including a center console lid!" -- There were two excellent center consoles, Scott got one of them, but I dunno how good the lids were. Three or four sets of perfect condition rear lenses are there too.

acescarrsRS -- "T-5's & 9 bolt rears for me Let me know" -- The only BW 9-bolt is on that '85 TPI Z28 currently on the auction list with a $300 starting bid. FYI that car also has rear disk brakes, 28-spline axles and probably positraction. If nothing major is broken, this would be an excellent vehicle for restoration, being that it also has the higher grade Z28 suspension and steering. Sorry, no V8 or V6 T-5's at this time [trans are same, but output shafts are different to match V8 and V6 flywheels].

The trip Scott and I made to the Schofield salvage yard on Saturday was productive, in spite of a brief rain flurry which generated sticky mud to track around. Scott scored a perfect console top, wiring, interior panels, and learned a whole lot about how to take apart Firebird body parts nondestructively. I found a GM Blazer rear view mirror with built-in map lights that is an upgrade replacement for my IROC mirror and compliments my overhead travel console with Camaro flashlight.

I spent $7 and Scott $20. Pretty cheap, nobody hassled us, and it was a good opportunity to stock up on misc screws, nuts, bolts and fasteners that 3rd Gens use ... heck, no sense letting those go to the crusher...

Afterwards we went back to my house and set the timing on Scott's FB to 8-degrees; it seems the distributor clamp on the intake didn't have enough curvature to restrain the distributor from turning and it was like moving around on its own. Undoubtably, the constantly changing timing had to have an effect on performance and gas mileage, heh. So we put a penny under the end of the clamp away from the distributor and when tightened it produced enough leverage to hold the distributor tight. Then we highlighted the timing marks, cranked the engine, and as I shot the timing and instructed Scott to "turn the distributor to the right and left," we got the timing righ on [in spite of him constantly playing with the 50,000 volt coil wire and seeing how many times he could ground himself to the car].

It was such a pleasure to work on a carb car instead of TPI -- no computers, no codes, no sensors, no head scratching ... just the throaty sound of wind down the carb and an engine immediately responsive to wherever it's poked or prodded. Next time I build a weekend warrior it will be carbed ... and no, I'm not willing to give up TPI and the 20-25 mpg for a daily driver or interstate cruiser.

Last edited by Duck; 06-20-2004 at 12:11 PM.
Old 06-21-2004, 03:29 AM

Originally posted by pvt num 11
I want a right rear lens assembly - the one on my Firebird is cracked. I'll have to drag my lazy butt over there myself, though, good looking scavenging stuff there in those pictures, including a center consoel lid! YESH!
Yeah they had 1 or 2 good right side tail lenses. They had 2 or 3 good left sides. That '92 is the one that has all the good stuff, but the hatch is locked so you'd have to get those from the inside. I don't remember if the other 'birds (that have opened hatches) have good right (passenger) side lenses.

They had 2 good center console tops. Took off the first one I found but we put it back because the '92 had one in slightly better shape and with the power window switches, but still no power mirror switch. No problem I'll just have to cut it up.

I wanted to give you a call to see what you needed but my phone didn't save your number. Since we had 2 consoles already out, I could have grabbed it for you. Also, I was already laying inside a closed hatch (the locked '92 with the perfect lenses) I could have grabbed those for you also. My bad, Ian. I need to get your number again and resave it.

As far as 9-bolts go, yeah that z28 on bid looks good. I stuck my head under the rear and didnt recognize any of it and Ed confirmed that it was a 9bolt/disk rear. No wonder it looked funny.

I got a center console top, passenger side a-pillar trim, and the rear ceiling trim (91/92 style) but it is the wrong color. I'll have to dye it, but it's mostly straight. I also found a square bucket inside the car or under the hood, I have no idea where it's from (a console bin maybe) but I was throwing all the bolts and hinges and switches and stuff in there, as well as some wiring for an amp (already cut to length or a lazy installation!). Everything I stuffed in he little bin was $3 for misc. parts. Maybe I can fix my power locks and wire my amp in now. $20 total.

I was going to list the items I got and their prices and then say, "Knowledge gained from tearing apart a car that isn't your own... priceless." but I forgot what everything costs individually. Oh well, it was a good yard run, even in the 3" of mud!

Thanks for taking me there and helpin' me with my timing, Ed. And sorry if I got mud in your z28 or house!

Laters,
Scott
Old 06-21-2004, 03:35 AM

Afterwards we went back to my house and set the timing on Scott's FB to 8-degrees; it seems the distributor clamp on the intake didn't have enough curvature to restrain the distributor from turning and it was like moving around on its own. Undoubtably, the constantly changing timing had to have an effect on performance and gas mileage, heh. So we put a penny under the end of the clamp away from the distributor and when tightened it produced enough leverage to hold the distributor tight. Then we highlighted the timing marks, cranked the engine, and as I shot the timing and instructed Scott to "turn the distributor to the right and left," we got the timing righ on [in spite of him constantly playing with the 50,000 volt coil wire and seeing how many times he could ground himself to the car].
Yeah, I knew the distributor shouldn't be rotating freely like that! By the way, I think I owe you a penny....

I doubt my system puts out 50kV but it's still plenty strong enough to zap me. The first time that happened to me was a few weeks ago, I grounded with my knee on the fender and it made my kick the damn fender. I was actually thinking about that this week. Get 7 of your friends and everyone lean in and grab a wire. See who lasts the longest!

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

Laters,
Scott
Old 06-21-2004, 08:39 AM
Supreme Member

Sounded like alot of fun I also forgot to ask for you guys to look for any good condition doors.(white preferably with power) And also what the price would be for those & also spindles. Maybe next time when you go I might wanna come or you guys could get pricing for me. Thanks.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:19 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: too many ...
I thought the first 3rd gens to come with the 9 bolt rears were 86's and they only came on the L98 cars? I'm not sure. But that thing might be a 350 just waiting to do burnouts!

I might try to raid one of those 90+'s with 10 bolt rearends ... might need some 28 spline axles. Cant find a spool for that 26 spline V6 rearend I'm getting and I want to experiment hehe.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:17 AM
Moderator/TGO Supporter

Originally posted by CrazyHawaiian
I thought the first 3rd gens to come with the 9 bolt rears were 86's and they only came on the L98 cars? I'm not sure. But that thing might be a 350 just waiting to do burnouts! :D
According to info on the board, "85-90 9 bolt equipped f-bodies were available with either standard open differentials or limited slip versions as well as several different ratios including: 2.77, 3.08, 3.27 (G92 w/auto), 3.45 (G92 w/stick), and a few 3.70 ratio's came in some 85 & 86 Firebird's w/L69, stick & G92=Very Rare!"

When Scott and I looked at the Z28 at the salvage yard, the ground was wet, the car had aftermarket wheels with no visibility behind them, and it was dark under the car. So it "looked" like a disk rear, but without crawling under with a flashlight to count the cover bolts and shine light on the brakes, I can only say it "appeared to be 9-bolt/disk rear."

Limited numbers of 5.7 engines first appeared in F-bodies in late 1986 without AC, then in volume with AC for the 1987's. If this '85 has a 350, it's an add-on.

If someone is interested enough to bid, it will need a closer look anyway.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:26 AM
Moderator/TGO Supporter

I doubt my system puts out 50kV but it's still plenty strong enough to zap me. The first time that happened to me was a few weeks ago, I grounded with my knee on the fender and it made my kick the damn fender. I was actually thinking about that this week. Get 7 of your friends and everyone lean in and grab a wire. See who lasts the longest!
I should have put smileys in my previous post, as it was meant only in jest [grin]... I've lost count of the times I've zapped myself, enough so that I always pile on the rags or get out the electrician neoprene gloves before touching a live distributor.

You did a lot better than me taking the jolts -- I usually scream, hit my head on the hood and jump around cursing.

Has the driveability and gas mileage improved?
Old 06-21-2004, 05:37 PM

Ed, I haven't driven it around enough yet to see my mileage, but I filled up when I got back home so I'll definately keep an eye on it. I have to play with the idle a bit, and I keep forgetting to do it when I get home so I keep setting the idle just before I leave and it's not warmed up yet. But so far, so good!

Shawn, there was one '92 v6 bird and a couple pre '91's. I didn't check them out very well so one might be '90, but the t/a and camaros looked a little older to me. That '92 has what you need, and it's probably as cheap as it's gonna get.

I should have tried to get a copy of the price list.

Anthony, I didn't take a good look at the doors but I bet you could find one in decent shape. The '92 was blue or greenish or something and the drivers door was already off. But I popped the power switch off of it and a couple other things. Other than that the door seemed good to me, hehe. Also, they aren't that heavy.

http://www.mwrarmyhawaii.com/leisure...autobroch2.pdf

At the bottom left there is a mini price list, so $50 for a door and $26 for a spindle I guess.

Laters,
Scott
Old 06-21-2004, 05:40 PM

That little price list also says $16 for a "tire w/ rim." Maybe I should keep an eye out for good wheels next time. Even a pair of the same stock 15's I have wouldn't hurt, mine have some curb rash. I like the GTA wheels.

Laters.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:08 PM
Supreme Member

I've... got ... to... get... over... there... soon. I'll probably go poke around there sometime next-next Saturday and grab stuff like lightbulbs, trim pieces, bolt covers and a set of center caps, plus whatever else catches my fancy. Definitely need a right lens set. Heck, you could scrounge for all those hard-to-find parts and start placing ads in at Ebay or something...
Old 06-21-2004, 07:44 PM
Supreme Member

Make sure you guys don't clean out everything before I get there lol!
Old 06-22-2004, 12:32 AM
Moderator/TGO Supporter

Originally posted by acescarrsRS
Make sure you guys don't clean out everything before I get there lol! :D
Sometimes the yards close for lunch, around 12-1 and it's really irritating to have to wait around outside for an hour. Don't recall if it's only during the week, but to be sure call ahead.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:00 PM
Supreme Member

Hey Duck, vernw was trying ot get ahold of someone over here who did some parts runs at Schofield. He's looking for the console plate that has the shifter sticking out of it, for an 88-92 manual Firebird. I told him if i saw one I'd get it, but I won't be able to make it to the yard for at least another week-and-a-half. Was there a manual f-bird there?

-Ian
Old 06-22-2004, 06:03 PM

I didn't notice any manuals. At least 3 of the 'birds are autos, and I think that trans am is an auto too, but I don't remember.

And if someone wants to take the time to post two pics of differential housings for a 10-bolt and a 9-bolt, I'll tell you right now which it has, just in case anyone was interested in that 'maro. I'd do it but I gotta get back to "work."

Laters,
Scott
Old 06-22-2004, 10:52 PM
Moderator/TGO Supporter

And if someone wants to take the time to post two pics of differential housings for a 10-bolt and a 9-bolt, I'll tell you right now which it has, just in case anyone was interested in that 'maro...
According to the bid card, bidding on the '85 Z28 closed on June 19. Might have been extended, but I doubt it.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:51 PM
Moderator/TGO Supporter

As it turns out, I can't properly install the AIR pump delete pulley unless I find a 3/8x3.75-inch bolt. The one I have is exactly .25-inch too short, sigh.

On Sunday the 26th, I'll be making a scavenging run to Schofield Barracks wrecking yard and perhaps also stop by the salvage yard at Fort Shafter.

No problem taking a couple people with me if anyone wants to go ... meet at my house or at Schofield on Duck Road [yeah, that's the real street name, heh].

I'll respond with PM and you better have a map book to find my place across from the Arizona Memorial, it's confusing at best.

I'd like to get going about 9 a.m.
Old 06-27-2004, 11:36 PM
Moderator/TGO Supporter

Ah well, guess nobody was interested in going to the salvage yard...

I found the 3/8 bolt I was looking for, they were used by GM in almost all the alternator and air pump installations, so next weekend I can finish the air pump delete pully installation. Maybe I can also finally finish the fuel pump access panel.

Firebird enthusiasts may be interested in an '89 Trans Am on the auction block, starting bid is $400. It's a V8, 700R4, the body looks good and it has a fiberglass prostock cowl hood. The interior looks fair, but it doesn't have split rear seats or disc brake rear end.

Sorry I didn't have my digital camera with me.
Old 07-01-2004, 04:43 AM

Sounds like a good parts car. Too bad even at that price I'd be taking money from my 4x4 project. Plus, I think my family is getting sick of my car "collection."

Laters,
Scott
Old 07-01-2004, 11:04 AM
Supreme Member

Plus, I think my family is getting sick of my car "collection."

Laters,
Scott
lol! That's too funny. I remember when me & my wife had 3 Camaros at one time. My mom wasn't too thrilled about that We had the RS & 2 IROCs. Sold one IROC to help fund our wedding & then stripped & sold off the other IROC.(It was a salvage rebuilt car that we used for parts) Aaaaaaaahhh memories. lol