Pacific Northwest Region Regional discussion board for WA, OR, ID, and BC.

I think I have a cooling prob. Is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2001, 03:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I have a cooling prob. Is this normal?

After a short period of time, my engine heats to 105 and hovers around there. Sure it doesn't over heat, but the car runs like **** at that temp. I have to really eat up the clutch so I dont jerk the car and stall. Anyone else had this problem before? I know the plugs have to get changed, but I don't think that's it. You think maybe the thermostat is going? Any ideas on this will help a lot.

Thanks,
Jay

------------------
'91 RS 305 5.0L V8
Bowtie Grill & Lamps, K&N Air Filter, Centerforce Clutch, and of coarse kickass stereo
www.primetimetime-pc.com/Jay/index.html
Old 08-23-2001, 03:59 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by [-sLaYeR-]:
After a short period of time, my engine heats to 105 and hovers around there. Sure it doesn't over heat, but the car runs like **** at that temp. I have to really eat up the clutch so I dont jerk the car and stall. Anyone else had this problem before? I know the plugs have to get changed, but I don't think that's it. You think maybe the thermostat is going? Any ideas on this will help a lot.</font>
Well, you mean 205 right? If so, Id just do these routine checks: Check fluid level, and tighten all hose clamps if they are loose. Does it get hot really damn quick no matter what, or just when sitting at idle? Cause, mine warms up to about 200 when Im sitting in a drive thru, or going thru slow *** traffic, but then it goes back down to about 160-180... I think my fans are toast for now, the idiot before me tried to rig a fan switch, and I think he fried the wiring! Gotta keep temps down with the aluminum top end!

-Roshambo

------------------
-Joe
1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 305 TPI, 700R4, 3.23 Posi, Digital Dash, Leather Seats, Maui Blue with Silver GFX, T-tops, Tinted Glass, Gutted MAF, TB Coolant Bypass, K&N Cone Filter, Hi Flo Cat, 3" exhaust from Y-pipe back, MSD Super Coil, Accel 8mm wires, L98 Aluminum Heads, Ported and Polished Plenum, Siamesed Intake, Edelbrock 3 point Strut Tower Brace.
Old 08-23-2001, 04:10 AM

If it is at 105 then your thermostat is probably stuck open and needs to be replaced. If it is at 205 then there is something else wrong if it contantly stays that hot. Mine does the same thing as Joe mentioned, so I think that is fairly normal for all the F-bods.
Old 08-23-2001, 04:36 AM
Supreme Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by AmorgetRS:
If it is at 105 then your thermostat is probably stuck open and needs to be replaced.</font>
Come to think of it, mine doesnt even register till 120 on the digital, and I cant picture my Z28s quages in my head...

-Roshambo
Old 08-23-2001, 07:53 AM

I think he's referring to celcius, or somewhere near 220f. Mike

------------------
"Experience life, Don't use it" Julie (petrick) Fink
Old 08-23-2001, 11:13 AM
Supreme Member

If thats the case then I doubt that the fan is even coming on. My 88 does the same thing if I don't turn the fan on when I'm sitting in traffic (I finally rigged it to a switch until I find the real problem). You may also be missing your lower air dam. That thing makes all the difference in the world. Without it, there is nothing to direct air to the radiator.

------------------
IROCnRoll
'86 Camaro Sport Coupe and '88 IROC

Old 08-23-2001, 12:17 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.
Fan #1 will not come on until around 230*F with the stock eprom. You either have to get a lower temperature Fan Switch (to turn on Fan #2) sooner, or modify the eprom to turn Fan #1 on sooner.

I installed a 180*f (80*C) T-stat (I've tried both the 160 and 195), and I have my Fan #1 set to turn on at 185* (83*C) and off at 183*F (82*C). My car runs very consistenly with the fan set up this way. I am not plagued with the "hot restart - slow as molasses" problem that is typical of TPI engines. It is just as quick on a "hot restart" as a "cold start".

Also, with the recent spell of hot weather that we have in Kamloops (over 100*F lately), I have driven up the Coquahalla and the fan easily kept my car within my preferred getting much over 185*F when climbing that 30 km stretch up Pensk Summit on the Connector from Kelowna to Merritt.

Also, if you have the stock GM "oil cooler", it helps pull heat from the oil as your H20 temp does not vary too much. The GM Oil Cooler really heats up the coolant on a long uphill grade due to the load on the engine. Even at 60 mph, there just isn't enough air flow on a hot day to keep the coolant temperature from rising when climing a long uphill grade.
Old 08-23-2001, 01:09 PM

It would be around 220*f. My fan kicks in but doesnt drop it much. If I'm in traffic, I'm smelling clutch... or stall. Once I get a steady pace of 70km or faster then the car cools down a bit and runs a lot better. But if I'm in traffic... the heat from the engine is unreal. BTW, it only seemed to start this after I bottomed out going 120km and dented my oil pan, and cracked my rear main seal. If that give you guys an idea of what might have happened... cool

Old 08-23-2001, 01:35 PM
Supreme Member

Bottomed out huh? I didn't think that was possible in our cars . The fan should drop the temperature immediately. Sounds like you get to have some fun working on your car. Is it possible that denting the oil pan has restricted your oil pickup?