Organized Drag Racing and Autocross Drag racing and autocross discussions and questions. Techniques, tips, suggestions, and "what will I run?" questions.

Third-Gener's First Season Autocross Experience

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2002, 09:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Third-Gener's First Season Autocross Experience

Guys,

I bought a 88 L98 IROC in November of 2000 with a goal to run it in the 2001 local autocross season. My main concern was how competitive the car would be since the 4th gen LT1's had an 80hp advantage. This concern was softened by the fact that 3rd gens are still nationally competitive and, in fact, an 89 IROC won F-Stock at the nationals this year.

The L98 is a torque monster and the car feels better than the 4th gens that I rode in (and our local champion even commented that my car feels stronger than his 4th gen after taking a ride in mine). In addition, the 3rd gen seems to have great handling. I am the only 3rd gen driver in my area.

I have used this site almost daily since I bought the car to keep it running at it's best and I thank you for your help (hey, it got 95,000 miles on it).

These are great cars.

For the record, here are the mods (some aren't mods) to my car:
1) 5-pt harness
2) Pep Boys Ultra Z tires
3) Koni Yellows
4) K&N Air Filters
That's it. The next change will be to swap the 2.77 rear for the 3.27 rear. ...when I get the money.

As a thanks and for some encouragement for those of you considering autocrossing your third gen's, here is my first-year experience in this car:
Attached Thumbnails Third-Gener's First Season Autocross Experience-2001iroc.jpg  
Old 02-03-2002, 02:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what class do you plan to run in? if you step to ESP or SM you can throw in some 3.73's under the update/backdate rules in the ESP section of the book since they were a stock ratio from teh factory in third gens(the 4-cyl cars had 3.73 rears) or a 3.42 rear that was common on many V8 and most V6 cars. the gear makes a huge difference in the way the car drives, acclerates better and much easier to rotate the car with the throttle at the apex of slow and medium speed corners.
are you gonna get an extra set of wheels and tires this year and get some race meat on them? futura's are ok street tires but a set of kuhmo's will blow your mind. there is such a difference between real race tires and street tires that i can't even explain it. when i stepped from my 245/50 16 GS-C's to a set of 275/40 17 kuhmo's it felt like a hole different car.
good luck with this season.

later
tim
Old 02-06-2002, 11:10 AM

I plan to stay in F-stock for now. The reality is that running in a prepared/mod class in our club is suicide if you haven't max-ed out your potential mods. Locally in ESP, I would have to run against at least two cars that never even see the road - brought to events in enclosed trailers complete with tool cabinets and everything. I just don't want to commit that much money just yet. One is a Saleen Mustang and the other is a modded 4th gen Trans Am. Between my driving ability and the unliklihood that I would have all of the mods in a reasonable amount of time, I would get slaughtered.

I have already purchased a set of extra wheels (some beat up Firebird wheels) and currently have my snow tires on them. I am trying to decide if I should go for some Kuhmo's. Fortunately, most guys in F-stock are in the same "boat" that I am in and only two run on "non-street" tires.... Money and priorities...

Finally, once I would make a move to ESP or SM, I would HAVE to change the rear. Fortunately, in 1988, the 2.77 an 3.27 were both available on the L98-powereed Camaros. THis means that the swap is sotck-legal. I believe that the 3.27 would take me quite a ways toward where I should be heading. Again, money and priorities...
Old 02-07-2002, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 GTA / 88 Formula 350
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Welcome to Solo2..... Your right a third gen did win FS at Solo2 Nats.... A third gen also won ESP. A 1988 GTA from the Dallas area. Mark Madarash (sp?) His car is very cool and for sale. Last I heard it was 20K.

I would reconsider the ESP or SM jump. You are right, you may get pushed around for awhile but the mods you make to your car would bullit proof it better.

Good luck and have a great 2002 season

John K.
Chicago Region SCCA - ESP 70
Old 02-25-2002, 06:24 AM

HEY!!!

I got another trophy on Saturday from another club. I believed that this club only gave trophies for the top 10 i nseason points, but apparently they also give trophies to anyone who has a "trophy finish" in any event for the year at their events. I had two - one in May and another on October...

I am now down to only a $5,000 investment per trophy. (The wife didn't think that was funny. He he.)