Organized Drag Racing and Autocross Drag racing and autocross discussions and questions. Techniques, tips, suggestions, and "what will I run?" questions.

NFRA: 2002 Street Stock Rules are up.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2002 | 03:02 PM

NFRA: 2002 Street Stock Rules are up.

I think you guys may be pleasantly surprised:

http://ubb.nfraracing.com/Forum10/HTML/000002.html
Old 01-06-2002 | 04:01 PM

Cool info thanx man!!
Old 01-06-2002 | 05:17 PM
Supreme Member

hey look everybody!!!! another high dollar heads up classs.
is the nfra planning to at any point make all inclusive classes, or are you plannign to stick to rules that will benefit only those with huge engine budgets?

later
tim
Old 01-06-2002 | 06:08 PM

Originally posted by NJ SPEEDER
hey look everybody!!!! another high dollar heads up classs.
is the nfra planning to at any point make all inclusive classes, or are you plannign to stick to rules that will benefit only those with huge engine budgets?
Question: Are you saying you would prefer that third gens not be given the concessions necessary to make them competitive?

Fact is, the LS1 cars are only allowed CAI, clutch/converter, gears and a cat-back. To expect a V8 third gen to compete with those same mods is absurd. The idea was to get all gens competing as closely as possible. But I guess you don't see it that way.

Regards,
Chris Endres
NFRAracing.com

Last edited by cendres; 01-06-2002 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-06-2002 | 06:49 PM
Supreme Member

my problem has more to do wqith t he fact that you have created yet another big dollar class. the suspension on a thirdgen is enough to make it competitive, but fact is you just made another class for the guys with deep wallets. i fyou really wanted to include all f-bodies you shoudl look into some index/bracket classes.
if you are refering to the 100lbs weight break for guys running tpi, that ain't much help when the guy in the next lane is packin a big block.
if you want heads up classes, all you need is one class. i fyou want affordable racing you need to set up non-electronics(foot brake, no trans brakes, stutter boxes, or two steps) style brackets or non-electronics index classes.
you need to realize that the average owner does not have a world beater budget but may still want to race.

later
tim
Old 01-06-2002 | 06:53 PM
Supreme Member

by hte way, i do know about your 1 bracket class.
Old 01-06-2002 | 06:54 PM

Look, I understand what you're saying. Heads-up racing is not for everyone. For those that have their cars mod'd, this class may be a good place to race. For those that prefer brackets, we have those too.

Chris
Old 01-06-2002 | 08:32 PM

Chris,

Great detail. I just have a couple questions.

UNMODIFIED OEM heads? but you allow stage blocks, stage blocks were never OEM right?

Lastly, what is in your minds the target ET average for this class???

Last edited by shrp1; 01-06-2002 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-07-2002 | 06:16 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 2000 Trans Am
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Hey tim I think you missed the point on this class. It is a heads up entry level class and I thikn the rules fit really well.

I know you are around racing some ( i dont know how much ) but have you seen what an LS1 A4 car with a converter, air lid, and a pair of Nittos is doing? Low 12's my friend. Now, to get a thirdgen there, you need heads, intake, a PROM a set of drag radials and a small cam to net those times. Look at TRAX. He has AFR190;s, a 218/224 cam, drag radials, a mini ram and he tunes his own proms and he ran 12.24. That is pretty good for most 3rd gens as well.

For NFRA to make rules to fit 3rd gens specifically would be absurd at this point too. I was at the first race and there were only 5 thirdgens racing that day. There were a LOT more LS1 and LT1 cars.

And when you look at it, if you buy a thirdgen car and do the mods to get it to run low 12's, you still dont have what it has cost the LS1 guy to buy his car and add the mods to run low 12's with it.

I guess the target ET for this class would be mid low 12's. Thats not bad seeing as how all the other classes will probably be won by 8 second (wild street) to low 10 second (modified street) cars.

Just my opinions.
Old 01-07-2002 | 04:41 PM
Supreme Member

my pint is just that while the rules lok easy enough for an entry level guy to step into, we are about to see the same thing that happens to every heads up racing catagory. a couple of guys who have the $$$ to get it all done will develop motors that completely bury everyone else. look at hte early days of nmca and nsca, they promotoed it all as "budget heads up racing" jhust like this is trying to be. and they were also both on the brink of being out of business until they developed bracket and index classes in their programs.
don't get me wrong, i love heads up racing, but don't lie to yourselves and say it si gonna be in any way affordable after 2 or 3 years. heads up racing goes to the guys with the deep pockets every time.
this class will be running low 10's in no time, and look for 9's in a year or two. does that soudn afforable or entry level to you? i don't have an extra few thousand around to go get a 9sec cage, firesuit, chassis certification, and license. i doubt the dominant amount of f-body owners have that kind of money too.
sorry i came off so rough, i really like and admire what you are trying to do. but i have watched too many heads up thigns fail to sit by and not encourage real entry level racing, which is a bracket/index series on the same tour. that allows drivers, teams, car owners, adn sponsors to grow into the series. with heads up you either have the cash or you don't.
i hope you can see what i am trying to say. please shoot me an email if you have any q's about what i am saying.

later
tim
Old 01-08-2002 | 05:39 PM
Supreme Member

i dont see where you say its a deep pockets class, there arn't any classes i know for people with stone stock cars with just K&N airfilters and air foils guido makes and excellent point with 4th gens can just do very basic bolt ons and haul some serious ***, while a 3rd gen needs to do TONS of mods to even get close to the 4th gens. really in all reality its pointless to put a bunch of money into a 3rd gen if your trying to get alot of performance.
Old 01-08-2002 | 06:42 PM

Car: 1986 Z28
Engine: 355
Transmission: th400
I was just reading the rules myself.. I like the fact that carbureted cars are now allowed to mix it up with the efi cars...

the 1 5/8" header rule's kinda bogus,, but i have no factory emisioins stuff there to comply with it anyway so i guess the point is moot.

one day i'll find a class i can wiggle into...

Damn it again... my carb is a 780 instead of a 750.. i'll never be able to race

nice and detailed though like it guys.
Old 01-09-2002 | 10:28 PM

Car: '03 S-10/ '87 Trans Am
Engine: mild 350
Transmission: TH350
Originally posted by Pony Killer
I was just reading the rules myself.. I like the fact that carbureted cars are now allowed to mix it up with the efi cars...
I agree. I am very happy to see that carbed cars are now permitted consitering 17 of the 35 years our beloved f-bodys were produced, carbed was the only option (exc. crossfire in 82 & 83). Why was this? Before, when I read the rules I coulden't help but wonder....it was the Nat'l F-body Racing Association after all and unless you've decieded to drop loads of money into your older Camaro/'bird you woulden't have EFI.

Now that I fit into a class I'm might just have to come out and whoop some of you EFI guys. j/k, I might knock out some TPI's and LT1's, but LS1's are giving me touble !

Just curious,
Matt

Last edited by Flash84Z28; 01-09-2002 at 10:32 PM.
Old 01-10-2002 | 06:03 PM

Originally posted by Flash84Z28

Before, when I read the rules I coulden't help but wonder....it was the Nat'l F-body Racing Association after all and unless you've decieded to drop loads of money into your older Camaro/'bird you woulden't have EFI.

Just curious,
Matt
The reason I think was that there are literally hundreds of racing classes and organizations that dont allow EFI.

I for one like that they are including all F bodys.

Phil