Organized Drag Racing and Autocross Drag racing and autocross discussions and questions. Techniques, tips, suggestions, and "what will I run?" questions.

How to get involved in autcross(?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2001 | 07:27 AM

How to get involved in autcross(?)

Hey guys,i would like to get involved in autocross and would like any suggestions you guys have and what will i need to do,anyone know where to get started in New York?,i just think it would be fun,i think i am a good driver but i am sure going to a school would help and i would like to do it as i love driving,drag racing is cool but just doesn't do it for me like roadracing.

------------------
www.rearman.com/camarokid.htm

If it aint a V-8 that $hit aint fast!,unless its a GN,lol!

305 tpi,700r-4 with shift kit,16 by 9 American Racing cross laced wheels,My mods are minimal,just a bunch of little $hit.Anyone know where to get underdrive pulleys for a v-belt set up?
Old 06-01-2001 | 11:37 AM

Go here: www.scca.org

From there, follow the Solo II stuff. Somewhere in this site will be a map of the US. Click down through the map and this will take you to the web site local (or closest) to where you live.

Good luck. You won't be sorry you tried it.
Old 06-01-2001 | 11:42 AM

Better yet -

http://www.scca.org/getstarted/nediv.html

This will get you where you need to be.
Old 06-01-2001 | 02:11 PM

The SCCA is a great starting point but also look for other car clubs in your area. Those other clubs may also hold autoxs.

Personally, I don't like the SCCA that much simply because their events are too big. Competitors usually only get 3 runs. Instead, I run with the local BMW group, where we got 8 runs in last event - and probably could have done at least 1 more if we didn't break for lunch.

Around here - MA - other groups which put on autoxs include the BMW group, Miata, Porsche, Ford SHO, and a local sports car club.

So look around....

Oh, and expect to be humbled. When I first went out several years ago, I thought I too was a good driver. Then I found out how much I really didn't know about basic car control and pushing the limits of the car.

Good luck!

Jack ****
95 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
Old 06-01-2001 | 02:34 PM

Car: 87 T/A
Engine: TPI 350 ci
Transmission: 5 speed
...and speaking of other clubs, check out N.A.S.A. for road course events and auto-x'n events.

Just select your region.

There is also a group out of MA you could look into. It's the COMM Sports Car Club. They go to NHIS, Lime Rock, Watkins Glen and up into Canada.
Old 06-02-2001 | 04:25 PM

Thanks for the info guys,i will check it all out,it really interest me and i think that my driving skills can be improved alot,practice makes perfect. ,but what things would be good for the car to be ready for the tracks,can people suggest suspension mods and performance stuff,also any other tips i should know before i get into it?

------------------

305 tpi,700r-4 with shift kit,16 by 9 American Racing cross laced wheels,My mods are minimal,just a bunch of little $hit.Anyone know where to get underdrive pulleys for a v-belt set up?
Old 06-02-2001 | 07:36 PM

There are a couple of other autox threads on the board right now and the advice is the same - don't worry about mods right now. Work on the driving skills. Autox is 90% driver. Mods are basically useless until you learn to control your car and drive it to the limit.

However, cheap things you can do for now include better/wider tires and wheels and get an alignment. The tires probably make the biggest difference but don't be tempted by R compound tires - until you learn to drive your car!

3 things to remember as told to me by just about every instructor:

1. Can't go fast unless you know the course

2. Go slow to go fast

3. Work on the 'nut' behind the wheel

Good luck!

Jack ****
95 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
Old 06-04-2001 | 01:21 AM

Thanks for the advice,i also believe that your driving skills are very important and that i should focus upon that more too,i have beaten faster cars because the driver wasn't up to the test but there are guys out there who could make that very same thing happen to me because of there skill and experience level.

------------------