Organized Drag Racing and Autocross Drag racing and autocross discussions and questions. Techniques, tips, suggestions, and "what will I run?" questions.

Pieceing together an oil cooler setup. Need some opinoins on parts.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 02:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 87' IROC
Engine: L98
Transmission: T56
Pieceing together an oil cooler setup. Need some opinoins on parts.

Guys,

I will be installing an oil cooler in my IROC to support my track day events. I have already removed the factory L98 water/oil cooler.

My plan is to use a filter sandwich adapter with built in thermostat and run -10 or -12 lines to a 9" wide, 19 or 25 row cooler mounted in front of the radiator.

The only sandwich adapter I can find with a built in thermostat that opens at a high enough temperature is the Mocal which opens at 203 degrees F. Unfortunately, their SBC applications are big bucks. They also require a filter change from a PH30 to a PH25. Not a big deal just one more thing to forget. Does anyone know of another option?

Any thoughts on -10 vs -12 lines? The Mocal ports are aparently only 1/2"

Finally any thoughts on cooler sizing?

Thanks,

John
Old 05-18-2011, 02:49 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28 Hardtop
Engine: 383 Carb
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44
Re: Pieceing together an oil cooler setup. Need some opinoins on parts.

You don't want to use an external thermostat?
Old 05-18-2011, 04:25 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Apeiron
You don't want to use an external thermostat?
Yeah I'd rather not for simplicity's sake. The car is a 95% street car. So I'd like to retain simplicity. An external thermostat just takes up more room and requires a good mounting location, etc. Plus I like the idea that oil is only circulating in the external lines when it is required for cooling. If I have to I will run an external, but I think the Mocal should do the trick for me.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:35 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28 Hardtop
Engine: 383 Carb
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44

Also, why do you want a 200 degree thermostat? What's wrong with the normal 180 that most units have?
Old 05-18-2011, 05:06 PM
Supreme Member

I am by no means an oil expert. However the research I have done suggests that 200-210 is an ideal oil temperature. It seems to be advantageous to get the oil up to the boiling point of water in order to evaporate the water in the oil that condensates after an engine cools down. Finally I believe cold oil is a major contributor on engine wear. While 180 is probably plenty warm, it seems to be on the edge of what most think is acceptable.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:16 PM

Received 133 Likes on 111 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86

Oil temperature should be the same as the coolant temperature. When using a large external cooler, you don't want the oil flowing through the cooler until it reaches operating temperature. The cooler then keeps it from going much higher and a thermostat prevents it from going lower.

If your car is a 95% street car, what's wrong with the simplicity of the OEM cooler? I doubt your track day events will tax the efficiency of the cooler.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:01 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by AlkyIROC
Oil temperature should be the same as the coolant temperature.
My research has shown the oil temps are normally 20-30 degrees warmer than coolant temps. I run a 180 thermostat.

When using a large external cooler, you don't want the oil flowing through the cooler until it reaches operating temperature. The cooler then keeps it from going much higher and a thermostat prevents it from going lower.
Of course. That is why I will be getting a sandwich adapter with built in thermostat. The Mocal 203 degree unit looks like it will do the trick.

If your car is a 95% street car, what's wrong with the simplicity of the OEM cooler? I doubt your track day events will tax the efficiency of the cooler.
A couple of reasons. However be aware that I have not tested my oil temps on the track, so my reasons are mostly speculation. I have installed a canton pan with temp probe. I will begin measuring temperatures this season.

I have seen plenty of C5/C6's reach 300 degree oil temps on track days. That is way higher than I am comfortable with. Granted that is a different engine but some of these cars even have dry sump oil systems with 8qt capacity. Plus I am 2-300lbs heavier than the vettes.

I also am not crazy about the stock water/oil cooler. First of all, it is tiny. Second it is trying to cool 200+ degree oil with 180 degree coolant. It just can't be that efficient. Not to mention I am sure it helps increase coolant temps. Finally a dedicated oil cooler has about the same amount of plumbing as the stock cooler.

Our track days are 30 minute sessions. I'm sure that is enough time for the oil to get good and hot. I am planning on around 6 events this season.

Basically I just don't want to chance cutting a session short just because of oil temps. I am trying to make this car totally floggable without having to worry about harming anything. Overkill is ok and gives me some room to grow.

I could easily take a slow approach and try all the stock components, but I really just want to do it right from the start so I don't risk missing events while I fix issues. I have been what seems like constantly working on my car for the last 2 years trying to make it a capable and reliable track day car. I hope to actually get some enjoyment out of it this summer.