Organized Drag Racing and Autocross Drag racing and autocross discussions and questions. Techniques, tips, suggestions, and "what will I run?" questions.

How do i get into autocross

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 12:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1982 Trans Am
Engine: LU5 CFI
Transmission: TH-200C
How do i get into autocross

i am a car lover and have been basicly around automechanics all my life and have been helping my uncle and grandpa with vehicals. i have been dreaming of getting a trans am as a first car since i was 8 and i have finally done it, and i have been dreaming of racing most of my life ever since i meet a friend who rode quads and since then everytime i drive one i push myself to the limit but strive more. I know most of the post ill be you need money of which i can get but is hard but tips and hints will be greatly apprictiated. thanks
Old 07-01-2010, 01:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 85 Likes on 72 Posts
Car: 87TA 87Form 71Mach1 93FleetWB 04Cum
Re: How do i get into autocross

Well, the easiest way is to find someone going to a local autox to tag along with and just register for it as "non-competitive" and you'll pick it up and get some ideas just being there. If you can't find someone, then just find out when and where the next time they're running, show up and watch and talk to people.

To run all you really need is a car in good shape (basically nothing loose that shouldn't be loose) and a helmet (and most that I've been at have a few helmets that you can borrow). The car can be totally stock on street tires.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:13 PM

ok thank you
Old 07-02-2010, 03:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 84 Z28 / 88 Trans Am / 87 base
Engine: L69 H.O. / 468 BBC / 2.8 v6
Transmission: 89 700R4 / TH375B / 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 open / 3.23 posi / 3.42 open

and most importantly Have Fun.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:44 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28 Heritage Edition
Engine: L98
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23:1

I remember my first autocross... a buddy from a Beretta msg board (who raced all the time) was going to meet me at the event. I was driving my 1990 Beretta GT. Things were pretty simple.

If you're car is stock, you're most likely in F-stock, if its modded, you'll just want to ask the person at the registration area.

Basically you want to prep your car by taking anything out of the car that is either heavy (spares, subs) or loose (floor mats, anything that can fly about the cabin). You'll probably want to air your tires up more than usual.

They will do a tech inspection, making sure you have seatbelts, that your car looks safe, etc. You'll need some shoe polish for your race numbers.

After the car is ready, you will want to do a walk-thru. You'll see people walking the course to get an idea of how its set up.

There will be a driver's meeting; they will tell you when your class runs.

After that, its follow directions, and race when they call your class. Depending on the size of the event, you may have to 'work' when your class isn't racing. This usually means standing in a certain spot on the track and radioing when someone hits a cone/off course or flagging if there is a problem.

Its not that bad; if you've never gone/raced before, just tell some people there and more than likely, someone will help you out.

The above method is what I used when I first started. I went out with a bone stock Beretta GT with 15" bubbly street tires and didn't do half bad. You can spend a lot of money on auto-x, but really you need tires first to be competitive. Don't be scared to go out in stock form and try it!
Old 07-02-2010, 12:51 PM

ok thank you all for the help and yeah thats why i want to race for the thrill and mostly cuz it is fun
Old 07-04-2010, 11:48 AM
Supreme Member

Received 85 Likes on 72 Posts
Car: 87TA 87Form 71Mach1 93FleetWB 04Cum

Around here some of that won't work... like you have to pre-register online, usually all the slots are full by about 2 weeks before the event. Don't worry about the class, you're not going to be fast enough to mess up anyone's points standings the first time out. Like I said, locally you can skip defining a class and just register "noncompetitive" but if that isn't an option then just f-stock and don't worry about it, again, the first time out you won't run fast enough for it to matter.

Here, you register for a heat in the morning or afternoon, the cars are not run by class.

Every group runs things slightly differently, which is why I was recommending just showing up and watching or coming up there with someone that has run there before, I could describe everything you should expect an an Autocrossers Inc. event (one of the local clubs), but someone else might not run it the same way.

With the average f-body setup you'll find that you'll run fastest with the front tires inflated to the maximum recommended pressure, and the rears close to stock. I seem to remember liking something like 38psi f and 32 R when I first started. I ended up tightening up the front suspension more than the back and was running closer to the same pressure all the way around after a while. This is way oversimplifying things, but on a slow, tight course you want a softer rear suspension than on a fast course.

Most of the people will be friendly and don't be bashful about being a new guy... they'll be more than willing to help you out (most to actually help you, but even those that don't care will help you just to make sure that you don't waste their time messing up )

get out there and have fun...
Old 07-04-2010, 12:23 PM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi

Just remember to compete against YOURSELF. Don't worry too much about others times. Nice to see how your doing compared to others, but if you focus on that you can get discouraged & quit. Just track your own progress & HAVE FUN!

I've come in first & I've come in last (in my class). And even from event to event, that is hard thing to compare because it can depend on who in your class shows up. When I came in first....That was like my 2nd event. Imagine my depression wen I came in last at the next 3 in a row! There just wasn't anybody worth a damn at the event I "won".

And considering that each parking lot autocross gets a different course each time, it is even hard to compare one race to the next.

It's mainly about having fun, not winning.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:29 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 86 Trans Am, 88 Formula
Engine: 95LT4, 305TPI
Transmission: T56, T5

I do it for fun as well.

I started 5 years ago and everyone at the events have been very courteous and helpful.

Just let them know that you are a novice and it is your first time, at our events they usually ask if there are any first timers there. They help them walk the course and show what the cones on their side mean, and so that they don't get assigned a work duty that requires experience.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 Trans Am
Engine: 305 tpi
Transmission: 700r4

A good way to find an event near you is go to www.scca.com, then press "find your region" near the top right of the page and go to your nearest regions website to find if, or when they are having an event.(solo = autocross)
If you are from where your Sig says, try these out.

http://www.nepa-scca.com/
http://www.phillyscca.com/
http://www.bmr-scca.org/
http://scca-nnjr.org/
Old 07-06-2010, 09:47 PM

ok thank you all a lot