Organized Drag Racing and Autocross Drag racing and autocross discussions and questions. Techniques, tips, suggestions, and "what will I run?" questions.

2nd autocross of the year.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 02:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 83 Camaro
Engine: 4 Bolt 350, Bowtie aluminum heads
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.42, superior axles, Torsen diff
2nd autocross of the year.

It was the first round of the Montana challenge and held here http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=s&lat=46....962119&zoom=18 The Montana highway patrol training center at the Helena airport. The long straightaway you see is 3000' long and the pad alone is big enough for a national style autocross course. The main portion of the road course was used and there was also an autocross section on the pad. The laps took about 1:40 for most cars. Speeds ended up being about 85 MPH but where kept in check on the long straight by a very long but high speed slalom.

I finally got to race agansts a couple other C prepared cars, they where both Mustangs. Well the first lap I decided to see just how far I could go in first gear(about 72 MPH at 7000 RPM) and I barely got out of the autocross section and on to the road course before I had to shift into second. Believe me I tried, my foot was on the floor and the engine was screaming for mercy before I shifted, Unfortunatly I hit drive instead of second and then I was bogging the engine, Dang stock shifter, it was a problem all day but this was the first time I have ever got out of first gear. The first thing I did when I got home is make a gate so I could easily shift between first and second. Because of the shifting problem I was slow on the first couple laps but it seemed like the suspension changes I made are in the right direction, the car felt great. I ended up picking up allmost 10 seconds by the end of the day but needed to find another 4 seconds to beat the first place Mustang. Unfortunatly I need to blame myself for the loss because the car did everything I ask of it and more. This was my first event at this location and you need some big Kahunas to really get through that sweeper on the far end, I know the car could have gone faster through the road course section but I just couldn't make myself do it, just wasen't comfortable. I was more comfortable on the autocross section on the pad but stupid little mistakes on every lap probably cost me 3-4 seconds alone. The car was awsome and I couldn't ask for more out of it, right now my driving is the limiting factor. We have 2 more rounds to go in the series and I plan to beat that pesky Mustang. I think I will do great at the second Challenge event that will only use the large pad for a true autocross but I guess we will find out in a month.

I am so happy with the car right now, it is finally turning, just a touch loose when you are off the throttle and neutral when you get on the throttle. My custom made 3 link rear suspension was working great and really planting the tires, I was able to pick up the throttle right after I entered a turn and could go full throttle very early coming out of tight turns with very little tire spin, it just hooked up and went.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 83 Camaro
Engine: 4 Bolt 350, Bowtie aluminum heads
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.42, superior axles, Torsen diff
Re: 2nd autocross of the year.

Here is some in car video from this event from the driver that set FTD. He is in a C5 Z06 and a very good driver.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBit9h7_STI