Organized Drag Racing and Autocross Drag racing and autocross discussions and questions. Techniques, tips, suggestions, and "what will I run?" questions.

Turbo Drag Radial Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010 | 01:09 PM
10 Year Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turbo Drag Radial Camaro

This will be my street/strip car. A blow thru 6.0 LS motor on E85, 91mm turbo, all moly suspension, moser 12bolt, coil over conversion, Racecraft moly K-member and some other goodies...making progress finally!
Attached Thumbnails Turbo Drag Radial Camaro-camaroheaders.jpg   Turbo Drag Radial Camaro-camarodriveway.jpg   Turbo Drag Radial Camaro-contarms.jpg  
Old 04-28-2010 | 01:10 PM
10 Year Member

Re: Turbo Drag Radial Camaro

more pics
Attached Thumbnails Turbo Drag Radial Camaro-coilovers.jpg   Turbo Drag Radial Camaro-rack.jpg   Turbo Drag Radial Camaro-rotors.jpg  
Old 04-28-2010 | 01:14 PM
10 Year Member

S91, 12 bolt...etc
Attached Thumbnails Turbo Drag Radial Camaro-12bolt.jpg   Turbo Drag Radial Camaro-s91.jpg  
Old 04-28-2010 | 02:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 193 Likes on 164 Posts

Very very nice! What back-spacing out back, and can you put up some more pics of the car w/those pro-stars? What bracket are you shooting for...?
Old 04-28-2010 | 03:51 PM
10 Year Member

The rear is narrowed 1" on each side and the rims are a 15x10 with 5.5bs. There is some work done on the inner fender and the lips are rolled. The turbo is capable of pushing the car to 7.9x's but if I can push it to the low 8's and still drive it on the street I will be happy.
Old 04-28-2010 | 03:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Z/28..39 Plymouth truck in progress
Engine: S/B
Transmission: Manual

lookin very nice .....+1 on more pics.
Old 04-28-2010 | 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC
Engine: 350 vortec
Transmission: TH350 3500 stall
Axle/Gears: 3.73 10 bolt grenade

gorgeous car. looks like it'll be a fun little street car
Old 04-28-2010 | 06:07 PM
Supreme Member
10 Year Member

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion

looking good!

any mroe pics of the rack and pinion set? particularly the steering shaft?
Old 04-28-2010 | 06:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet. More pics definatley......
Old 04-28-2010 | 08:26 PM
10 Year Member

The rack setup was a PITA. The camaros are very wide but the way the spindles sweep in makes the steering narrow. So, the sleeve on the bumpsteer kit is very short, and the rack has to be shortened to work. The car is on it's way to IL right now but I will have my bro-in-law get some pics for you guys. It has a long way to go, but it is getting there. The steering shaft is also kind of a pain, but it is a pretty good feeling when you fab and do stuff yourself. Thanks for the compliments guys. Once it gets painted and the other wheels on it, I will post more pics. I am putting the 17x4.5 Dragstars on front, I think it will look good.
Old 04-29-2010 | 06:41 AM
Supreme Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Car: camaro sportcoupe
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: G-Force GF5R
Axle/Gears: Moser 9"

pretty much what i want to do with my car. what are the specs on the motor? i hope you don't think you'll put it into the low 8's on a stock cammed motor, using the msd setup, lol.
Old 04-29-2010 | 11:17 AM
Supreme Member

Car: projects.......

looks great. I'm really digging the black/silver(aluminum) color scheme; you did a great job on splitting it up clean.

The 17" front runners do look sweet.
Old 04-29-2010 | 12:04 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by mw66nova
pretty much what i want to do with my car. what are the specs on the motor? i hope you don't think you'll put it into the low 8's on a stock cammed motor, using the msd setup, lol.
Wow, you mean I can't just slap "nawz" and a "Vtech" in it and run low 8's??? I guess I have been doing it all wrong for 15+ years. I guess when I helped tune the car that set the 275 N2O world record I got lucky. But anyway, you should do a little research before you make statements like the above. There are some turbo guys in the 8's on the stock 6.0 longblock on LS1 tech. Who needs research! LOL...but I do appreciate your statements as it is not common or normal.

Will mine do that??? Probably not because I will get greedy and blow it up before then...lol The motor is all stock other than the Custom ground Bullet Tubo cam, valve springs, intake and headers. I am using this as my crash test dummy while I am learning to tune the E85 blow thru setup. I have tuned both, but not together. Why burn up a $5k shortblock when I can blow up a $500 one? The next motor is already in the works. LS3block 4.070x4.0 (416ci), all forged & studded, still undecided on the heads and that motor will probably get a 106mm or 94mm depending on the class I run. This turbo will probably go on the 67 Camaro (real) street car (wife's grocery getter).

Shagwell...someone who has a car like yours complimenting mine, is pretty awesome. Thanks man, but I think yours is probably the one of the nicest on here!
Old 04-29-2010 | 12:50 PM
Supreme Member

Thanks. I'm not a fan of the blue/white, but it's clean enough that I'm not messing with it till the current chassis cert is up and I go after a few more things on the car to really make it how I want it.

If I didn't have this car I would be building a 89ish GTA or Iroc 25.3/stock suspension car and still putting the blower motor in, lol. - It will be interesting to see how the Brewer/Mcnew boys do with the 526ci/1471 in thier stang.
Old 04-29-2010 | 01:15 PM
10 Year Member

The Stang is nuts...I can't wait to see that thing go. The 25.3 SS deal is the way I am headed eventaually. I am moving back to the midwest soon, so I will be able to hit alot more "street car" events. What is the furthest north and west you go? I would like to meet you in person and see that beautiful car.
Old 04-29-2010 | 01:40 PM
Supreme Member

? i compliment your car, ask about your setup, throw my quick little .02 in and get yelled at? nice dude...i hope it blows up on initial fireup like i've been dealing with all effin' year.
Old 04-29-2010 | 02:22 PM

Car: 1986 Camaro SC
Engine: None
Transmission: None
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" W/ spool 3.50 gears

Originally Posted by IROCFAST
Wow, you mean I can't just slap "nawz" and a "Vtech" in it and run low 8's??? I guess I have been doing it all wrong for 15+ years. I guess when I helped tune the car that set the 275 N2O world record I got lucky. But anyway, you should do a little research before you make statements like the above. There are some turbo guys in the 8's on the stock 6.0 longblock on LS1 tech. Who needs research! LOL...but I do appreciate your statements as it is not common or normal.

Cool car!

but how about leaving your arogant super tuner attitude over at LS1tech.com where it belongs.
Old 04-29-2010 | 02:23 PM
Supreme Member

Probably not much our of stat this year with other things going on, but should be at some races in Valdosta, Huntsville, and Crossville in the not too distant future. - The n2o motor is out and sold, the "other" motor with the bug ugly intake with the pulley on it is sitting in there now, waiting for me to plumb it and wire it. Hopefully we won't embarrass ourselves in O/L 10.5, and I'd like to try some TT5 events as well.

Matt, easy now tiger - you both came off a little snappy in your choice of wording. - Two local guys pushed bottom 9's / high 8's on stock bottom end LS's with just a turbo oriented cam. Of course they both spit **** when the rod bolts gave out, but eh. As long as you don't dump oil in front of the rear tires it's all fair game.
Old 04-29-2010 | 04:04 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Fast 383
Cool car!

but how about leaving your arogant super tuner attitude over at LS1tech.com where it belongs.
Yea Forget more pics...I just lost interest!!!!!
Old 04-29-2010 | 04:25 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Shagwell
Matt, easy now tiger - you both came off a little snappy in your choice of wording. - Two local guys pushed bottom 9's / high 8's on stock bottom end LS's with just a turbo oriented cam. Of course they both spit **** when the rod bolts gave out, but eh. As long as you don't dump oil in front of the rear tires it's all fair game.
the guy's claiming low 8's though. that's a bunch faster than low 9's/high 8's. it's gonna require a bunch more motor than he's got to support those claims with any kind of reliability.

it's a cool car though
Old 04-29-2010 | 09:37 PM
10 Year Member

i hope you don't think you'll put it into the low 8's on a stock cammed motor, using the msd setup, lol.
Me with the super tuner attitude? Not even close man. Am I proud of what I have accomplished in my 31 years? Yes, but even more if you consider I have done it raising a family, and in the begining on a low ranking enlisted military salary. All of this while working full time and going to school full time. If you look at some others comments they could be taken out of context also. I chose to joke back and was met with the keyboard warrior mentality. I was totally joking about how some import guys think BS works and it got taken out of context, sorry feelings got hurt. I thought the use of caps signified yelling.
No where did I say that I was going to push this combo into the low 8's. Will I try...yup! Will it live...about 99.99999% no. I even specified this was a crash test dummy motor. As far as hoping it blows up on first start and not wanting see any more pics, I am cool with that. Just though I would share ideas and and post up. As you can see, I have been a member since 01 and was a member long before that under a different name for quite a while till some douchebag with a similar name was on here acting a fool. I don't post much, mostly just read and wrench. I have seen this board go through many changes but one thing that doesn't change is that everyone has an opinion. I am pretty amazed this got blown this far out of proportion. Once again, sorry if I hurt anyones feelings.

Last edited by IROCFAST; 04-29-2010 at 09:45 PM.
Old 04-29-2010 | 10:07 PM
Supreme Member

No where did I say that I was going to push this combo into the low 8's.

The turbo is capable of pushing the car to 7.9x's but if I can push it to the low 8's and still drive it on the street I will be happy.
Old 04-29-2010 | 10:32 PM
10 Year Member

This combo as in the stock longblock...but really man interpret it how you would like. I guess I should have been more specific or you could have taken it with a grain of salt and assumed I meant after the other motor was finished. Just like when you said "I hope you don't think...LOL" and I assumed you were joking and joked back, then you got your feelings hurt so I came back, stated my case and even apologized if it was taken out of context. Now the above response...wow, can't even apologize without problems. Bummer! Would it be better if I told you that "I bow at your feet King of all things drag racing and internet, how dare I think that I could make a joke with you with more than 10x my post count" (Joke). Really man, not sure what else I can do to try to make nice-nice with you. If I pulled out my motor and put a quick 305 in it would you like me then (Joke!)
Old 04-29-2010 | 10:57 PM

Car: 1985 Nascar Budweiser IROC replica
Engine: 358 CI .040 11.88 aluminum heads
Transmission: Muncie 4 speed
Axle/Gears: Moser Axles, Auburn Pro posi,410's

Your car is great man, I'd like to see more pic's.
Old 04-30-2010 | 05:59 AM
Supreme Member

why on earth would i assume that you didn't mean this motor, if you didn't make any reference to building another motor down the road? your first few posts said nothing about having another engine for when this one blows, and you didn't say that this motor wouldn't do what you're claiming till questioned. it's not like we were having this conversation in person and i could hear inflection in your voice to tell that you were joking.

i have no idea what you've done in the past 31 years of your life. but i do know what some people think these engines really are touched by God himself and think they can do anything. they're just another engine. now that you've explained your intentions, my initial post is moot. instead of just addressing my post, you meet it with sarcasm and dueche-baggery.

poke fun at the 305 all you want, i learned more on that thing than anyone could have ever taught me. and it was decently quick to boot. as you can see, i've had lsx based engines in the car for over a year now.
Old 04-30-2010 | 08:00 AM

Car: 1986 Camaro SC
Engine: None
Transmission: None
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" W/ spool 3.50 gears

instead of just addressing my post, you meet it with sarcasm and dueche-baggery.

That about sums up what happened here.
Old 04-30-2010 | 08:13 AM
Supreme Member

can't we all just get along? - lol

there really needs to be a [sarcasm][/sarcasm] font on the internet

Sounds to me like his goal may happen, or it may blow before he gets it there. Doesn't sound like he'll be dissappointed either way. - Why don't we all just support the build the best we can, and hopefully all learn something from it. If nothing the whole build will be a crash test dummy for all of us, and not at our own expense.

Maybe it'll motivate me to get started on my vert again. I got all the big pieces sitting here ready to go, just need to get to it.
Old 04-30-2010 | 08:21 AM
Supreme Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

8.90's are do-able, but no way will it go low 8's with this motor or even mid 8's. not knocking it, just being realistic. should be a cool car when your done with it, i would like to see some more pics also.
Old 04-30-2010 | 08:19 PM
10 Year Member

why on earth would i assume that you didn't mean this motor, if you didn't make any reference to building another motor down the road? your first few posts said nothing about having another engine for when this one blows, and you didn't say that this motor wouldn't do what you're claiming till questioned. it's not like we were having this conversation in person and i could hear inflection in your voice to tell that you were joking.

i have no idea what you've done in the past 31 years of your life. but i do know what some people think these engines really are touched by God himself and think they can do anything. they're just another engine. now that you've explained your intentions, my initial post is moot. instead of just addressing my post, you meet it with sarcasm and dueche-baggery.

poke fun at the 305 all you want, i learned more on that thing than anyone could have ever taught me. and it was decently quick to boot. as you can see, i've had lsx based engines in the car for over a year now.

I assumed you could figure out that I was ignorant and the my post after that assumed you could take a joke and proved that I had been around the block with this stuff. I am done apologizing to you for joking back bud.

I was in no way knocking the 305, I called it "quick"...how that was an insult i do not know. It was pretty impressive. It seems no matter what I say you will twist it and get mad.
Old 04-30-2010 | 09:14 PM
Supreme Member

ok, lets start over.

nice car my friend, i hope the build goes smoothly and you are able to get the numbers you're hunting.
Old 05-01-2010 | 01:23 AM
10 Year Member

ok, lets start over.

nice car my friend, i hope the build goes smoothly and you are able to get the numbers you're hunting.
Thanks man, if you decide to go the LS/turbo route hit me up. I have done a ton of research on what it takes to make these things live under boost. The biggest challenge seems to be the smaller head bolts and lack there of. What do you think the biggest part of the swap was? I thought it went much easier than people made it out to be.

However, if you get a chance check out this video...turbo 5.3 Fairmont.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk9uU_3VHT0
It may be old news to some, but is still really impressive even though people have went faster on stock 6.0 long blocks.

As far as this motor going low 8's, probably ain't gonna happen! However, it will have to do untill the other motor is done. I am hoping E85 will give me a little help in the detonation department to help it live. I would like to push the stock 317 casting heads (with a CNC port from patriot or the like) but the deck is only about .5" thick and tend to squim.

The best trick (got lucky) of all though was picking up some 99-06 2500/3500 truck headers that bolt to the stock y-pipe, I got lucky and they dropped right in, but I think the drivers side may hit the stock steering box. But there are some guys putting about 1100rwhp down through the truck manifolds. I have an extra set you can have.

As far as these motors being touched by God...not even...I think he would have gave them more head bolts...LOL

And the term "douche baggery", may I borrow that? In exchange, I will give you patial rights to one of my favorites you are free to use around your buddies. Feel free to use "Taint Face". LOL
Old 05-01-2010 | 09:38 AM
Supreme Member

lol, you may use douche-baggery, but only with the appropriate hyphen in place. i do like to call people "Snap-0n Truck", cause you can't be a bigger tool than the truck carrying all the tools, lol!

i've seen the fairmont, it is impressive.

i have two sets of truck manifolds, thanks though!

for now, i've got a forged 370 with PRC stage 2.5 ls6 heads and am going carbed. i'm trying to go mid 10's n/a, so i've got the hawks longtubes, super vic intake, lots of converter/gear and i'm switching to a bigger cam later this year.

the hardest part about the swap was the wiring. when i first put the 347 i had together in the car last year, i was building my own harness. the engine physically went into the car the same as any other engine/trans combo. the headers fitment is great, so no issues there. i had to build a transmission crossmember, but that's not a big deal. this year, going with the carb is doing two major things for me:
1. i don't have to pay somone to tune my own car
2. i don't have a hacked up wiring harness controlling the car waiting to fail on me at any given time.

Last edited by mw66nova; 05-01-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old 05-01-2010 | 10:59 AM
Supreme Member

you guys need some better heads. i would not recommend patriot porting by any means. they are garbage.
Old 05-01-2010 | 05:20 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by DIGGLER
you guys need some better heads. i would not recommend patriot porting by any means. they are garbage.
I have heard they port them so thin that with any amount of spring pressure the spring will cave into the port. I have had good luck with their SBC and BBC heads. My bother in law and I built a 496 pump gas motor for his 74 Malibu (4k lbs and the aerodynamics of a brick) and on a BFG DR the car has been 10.70 @127. We were really happy with the BBC heads and the deck was .750" thick to boot! But now time for some N2O on that pig.

I would love to get some All Pro's but $$$ is a concern with them. It is really a shame the L92 deck is so thin (.400"), that head is awesome. There was a guy on the power to the wheels tour running those and it didn't spit a head gasket out until he had almost 30psi and a 250 shot on it. I guess it was living on borrowed time. A buddy of mine down here runs a shop called FRE and he builds some pretty insane LS1's and is knee deep in the latest and greatest so I will probably lean on him for help. He is a super cool guy and would to anything to help anyone so if you guys want his contact info, hit me up.
Old 05-01-2010 | 05:23 PM
10 Year Member

Oh, BTW the ET Performance heads seem pretty awesome. The move the valve to an 11* angle.
Old 05-01-2010 | 09:18 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by DIGGLER
we know this....PRC and Patriot are not synonomous though, they're two different companies. PRC stands for Precision Race Components. lots of people running good numbers with the PRC stuff.
Old 05-01-2010 | 10:00 PM
Supreme Member

we know this....PRC and Patriot are not synonomous though, they're two different companies. PRC stands for Precision Race Components. lots of people running good numbers with the PRC stuff.
i know they are different, and i had very sub-par experience with patriot heads. prc is ok heads. if ok is what you want then its good enough.
Old 05-01-2010 | 10:49 PM
Supreme Member

lol, they were in budget, don't think that if i had to do it all over again i'd do it the same...as much as i have wrapped up in getting the shortblock fixed, i could have spent the money on some All-Pro's.
Old 05-05-2010 | 11:34 PM

And now you guys have hijacked the thread to top it off lol
Old 05-06-2010 | 01:20 AM
10 Year Member

Yup...lol All work has ceased for a while. I was shooting "Widow Maker" hill on my quad, made it twice...third time was not a charm. Ended up in the ER with a concussion through the helmet and what they thought were broken bones. Turns out the only thing broken was my pride...lol The craziest part about it is that I rode for an hour after the wreck and don't remember any of it! So I gotta heal up for a week or so.
Old 05-06-2010 | 06:25 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by car_fixer
And now you guys have hijacked the thread to top it off lol
that's what we do! how you doin' rich?
Old 05-06-2010 | 03:08 PM
Supreme Member

Yup...lol All work has ceased for a while. I was shooting "Widow Maker" hill on my quad, made it twice...third time was not a charm. Ended up in the ER with a concussion through the helmet and what they thought were broken bones. Turns out the only thing broken was my pride...lol The craziest part about it is that I rode for an hour after the wreck and don't remember any of it! So I gotta heal up for a week or so.

Ouch - I always figure its better to hit my head than something important....
Old 05-06-2010 | 06:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1991 RS
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: 700r4

Exactly. And just remeber, when you get x-rays at the dentist office there's a reason why they put that lead vest over your junk and not your brain.
Old 05-07-2010 | 04:04 PM
10 Year Member

Both good points!!! LOL

Here is a better turbo pic.
Attached Thumbnails Turbo Drag Radial Camaro-turbo.jpg  
Old 05-10-2010 | 02:12 PM
Supreme Member

Both good points!!! LOL

Here is a better turbo pic.
now that's good ****! hopefully I'l get my 96mm spinning one of these days....