Organized Drag Racing and Autocross Drag racing and autocross discussions and questions. Techniques, tips, suggestions, and "what will I run?" questions.

Sad news ...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sad news ...

Glenn “Big Dog” Duensing from Monrovia, CA died this morning (Monday, January 18, 2010). Many of us remember him from his generosity in the Solo aspect of SCCA. He had started in SCCA by attending a Pro Solo at Lion Country Safari in Irvine, CA. in the spring of 1985. I met him there as a fellow F Stock Camaro driver and then again shortly after in Las Vegas of that year at another Pro Solo. Glenn became my “Richard Childress” and I enjoyed success co-driving his blue 85 IROC Camaro then later his 91 Z28 Camaro:

Name:  rebel1.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  92.2 KB

The above picture is from the 1996 SCCA Solo II National Championship in Topeka, Kansas. We covered thousands of miles in his blue Camaros going to National events in California, Arizona, Utah, Colorado and Kansas. I found on one trip to Wendover the the cruise control WILL resume at 125 (ish, not sure, maybe higher) on that lonely stretch in Nevada. :-) I won countless trophies in that car from Divisionals, National Tours, Pro Solo events (2nd overall in the Challenge too) and Nationals. He also helped out with the success of Belinda Endress and Lynn Rothney Kozlak by being their “Richard Childress” as well. I do not know all of the people he has assisted over the years but he has made his mark with many of us.

Glenn gave back to the club by taking on a number of National worker positions, from National Solo Safety Steward to Regional responsibilities to local Cal Club posts. He was always one to lend a hand or a bit of assurance to anyone. We will miss him.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Sad news ...

I just got the email today about Glenn's passing. I can't believe it. I last saw him at the North/South challenge at Hawthorne Nv. in '07. He was sent by SCCA-Denver to supervise safety. When I pulled up and saw his '85, I first thought there was another IROC that showed up. But when I got closer, I realized it was Glenn's old '85 that I had driven back in '90. Since he hadn't planned on running the car, I let him run the 2 days in my '89. Fair is fair. We corded the fronts, but had fun doing it.
Glenn first got me into an F-Body on the last run of a Solo at Lion Country. I was running my '88 Mustang. I took my last run in his car and I beat my best by over a second. I never raced the Mustang again. He needed tires and I needed a decent handling car.
Glenn, I didn't know you were sick. Thanks for the memories. .........Dave