Organized Drag Racing and Autocross Drag racing and autocross discussions and questions. Techniques, tips, suggestions, and "what will I run?" questions.

First time out with fixed engine, looks promising

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC
Engine: 350 vortec
Transmission: TH350 3500 stall
Axle/Gears: 3.73 10 bolt grenade
Re: First time out with fixed engine, looks promising

so you get the converter sent out yet?
Old 05-01-2009, 09:29 PM
IHI
Supreme Member

Car: 86 firebird with 98 firebird interi
Engine: pump gas 427sbc Dart Lil M 13.5:1
Transmission: Oldani TH400 w/ BTE 9" convertor
Axle/Gears: 31 spline Moser/full spool/4.11Rich

Originally Posted by brandoz28
He send the 9" CCX stator out on monday, unfortuantely ther was a delay at a dock in Missouri so BTE did'nt get it until Thursday, they cut it apart and put all new HD parts in so it's built like a rick chit house and hopefully are very very close on hitting the mark when i'm supposed to have it Tuesday...but we'll see.

Been out the past 2 weekends, last weekend was supposed to be first points race, whole weekend got rained out, this weekend is the make up, buti can only race Saturday since daughters first communion is Sunday But last weekend i strapped the front end down to see if it'd keep the front end on the ground...well it kep the front end down but it keep running like azz all through first and partially into 2nd gear and fine through 3rd. Return road was all business as usual.

First thing i did tonight at T&T was grab another chunk of fuel line from the nephews jr dragster and made a new slosh tube since i think after i cut mine down to fit under the new breather set up it was allowing fuel to slosh straight into the carb...first pass ran like a champ, as did the next 2 passes after. So nice leaving flat again, R/T's are dead nut deadly finally after 3 years of fighting them with the front tires pulling out of the beams. Car's still slow as dirt blowing through this convertor but it's only for one race...the nice thing right now, it's carrying alot of mph for as slow as i am, so i'll be using that to my advantage tomorrow for sure. 10.60 @ 127.89mph there's bound to be one sucker that lifts when he should'nt
Old 05-01-2009, 10:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: Alky 360
Transmission: TH400, Freakshow 9.5"
Axle/Gears: 9" 4.71

ah makes me think of the old SC car and having cars running 8.90 @ almost 200 MPH...NEVER lift cause those throttle stop cars are killer on the big end..
Old 05-01-2009, 10:40 PM

wow, i'd still love to run 10.60s lol. tried to teach the gf how to drive tonight at t&t...its gonna take some work.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:36 AM
IHI
Supreme Member

wow, i'd still love to run 10.60s lol. tried to teach the gf how to drive tonight at t&t...its gonna take some work.
Good luck with that, i let my wife drive my junk once. never again, i'd rather have a glass vile shoved up my peehole and then crushed with a hammer vs letting her try that again

She's got her daily driver to flog on if she wants to go down the track

It's jsut frustrating yet, just like last year's engine that was screwed up, i drive it because it's there but i'm embarrased and sick to my stomach since i know it's not running right, so getting the new convertor in and getting this running like it should will be nice for a change, just tired of driving it around and nothing is working like it should be...converter should be the last piece of the puzzle
Old 05-04-2009, 03:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: projects.......

Originally Posted by IHI
He send the 9" CCX stator out on monday, unfortuantely ther was a delay at a dock in Missouri so BTE did'nt get it until Thursday, they cut it apart and put all new HD parts in so it's built like a rick chit house and hopefully are very very close on hitting the mark when i'm supposed to have it Tuesday...but we'll see.

Been out the past 2 weekends, last weekend was supposed to be first points race, whole weekend got rained out, this weekend is the make up, buti can only race Saturday since daughters first communion is Sunday But last weekend i strapped the front end down to see if it'd keep the front end on the ground...well it kep the front end down but it keep running like azz all through first and partially into 2nd gear and fine through 3rd. Return road was all business as usual.

First thing i did tonight at T&T was grab another chunk of fuel line from the nephews jr dragster and made a new slosh tube since i think after i cut mine down to fit under the new breather set up it was allowing fuel to slosh straight into the carb...first pass ran like a champ, as did the next 2 passes after. So nice leaving flat again, R/T's are dead nut deadly finally after 3 years of fighting them with the front tires pulling out of the beams. Car's still slow as dirt blowing through this convertor but it's only for one race...the nice thing right now, it's carrying alot of mph for as slow as i am, so i'll be using that to my advantage tomorrow for sure. 10.60 @ 127.89mph there's bound to be one sucker that lifts when he should'nt
My old man had rana dragster in super comp 15+ years ago. He had his tunnel ram, twin dominator stick car motor in it. Loose 8" converter wasn't enough, ....then it hit 7k, 7-11 was nasty, shift high.......then came 7k, 8.90 @ 190 before there were electronics/throttle stops, etc. That was the only thing he enjoyed about that car.

really? i've thought an altered would be a blast. i'd think in bracket racing the extra visibility would be a plus
He enjoyed his t-bucket/funny car chassis altered, but bracket racing just isn't nearly as fun as heads-up stuff, especially in a door car. I know they have no box classes now, but the electronics stuff IMO kills racing. 700+ci in a suspeneded chassis dragster to run 9.90 = me sitting in the stands with a remote control and a beer in my hand.

Last edited by Shagwell; 05-05-2009 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:44 PM

i run the non electronics classes because well, i also feel it kills the racing. and heads up stuff is fun, just money's pretty tight, gonna throw together a 350 with a TON of laughing gas and try to run the 10.5 class here, its a 5.70-5.80 class, but the guys haven't really figured out that .400 pro tree so i'm hoping i can get it and go a few rounds, i know i probably won't be real competitive, but a buddy of mine worked hard to get this class off the ground, and i want to support it if nothing else by being in the stands to watch
Old 05-04-2009, 09:03 PM
IHI
Supreme Member

i run the non electronics classes because well, i also feel it kills the racing. and heads up stuff is fun, just money's pretty tight, gonna throw together a 350 with a TON of laughing gas and try to run the 10.5 class here, its a 5.70-5.80 class, but the guys haven't really figured out that .400 pro tree so i'm hoping i can get it and go a few rounds, i know i probably won't be real competitive, but a buddy of mine worked hard to get this class off the ground, and i want to support it if nothing else by being in the stands to watch
Are you running a T brake? all i can say after a number of .400 tree rounds, good luck foot braking, you just cant process and tune the car to react that fast foot braking, hard enough going from the brain to the hand much less all the way down to your foot....it's fun for a change though.

Only advise i have for it, TRY to stage first so the split second your opponent lights his stage bulb immediately go on the t-brake and in a split second your letting go. Air up the rear tires as much as they can take so they dont wrap up and get the car moving quicker, run a super short front tire, or over inflate the heck out of what you got, or stage deeper then you normally do so you can break the beams faster.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:42 PM

yeah, it'll have a brake by then, foot braking isn't gonna be in the picture by that point. but it'll be something new to try, hopefully i'm going to be able to go a couple rounds, my little paint and body project has gotten a little more involved....to a all that's left of it is the floor pan and roof from when i started....
Old 05-05-2009, 02:08 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: projects.......

Sounds like fun. I'm actually trying to get out and help the new outlaw 632 class get rolling right now, but with a 468ci and a GM steel crank, I won't be hanging in a class that allows up to 640ci and however much n2o they please. Most guys are running 2-3 stages, I'm sure we'll see ven more as the class progresses. - The biggest key for me is that I plan on being about a tenth quicker to 60' than most of the guys currently running, so I should get a round or two from time to time. I'm gonna test with 225 shot out of the hole, then attempt a 300. It really shouldn't be making but around 1k with the juice, thus if it won't leave on that it'll never leave with the blower.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:17 PM

yeah, i just got my burkart chassis torque arm here, so hopefully i'll be rolling before june with the car.