Organized Drag Racing and Autocross Drag racing and autocross discussions and questions. Techniques, tips, suggestions, and "what will I run?" questions.

A 5-1 night Friday

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008 | 03:08 AM

Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
A 5-1 night Friday

Since my son went back to college last weekend, I "have" to race the Camaro for him. In addition to racing the '57 for myself, of course. And, for this particular series, we run in the same class, of course.

It was a rain-delayed night, and since they have a self-imposed midnight curfew, we only got 4 rounds in, and even then, it was after midnight when we ran the 3rd round.

I went into the night in 3rd place in season points, my son tied for 20th. When they called our class, I jumped in line with the '57, made the run, then dashed back to the pits to get the Camaro and get in the end of the line. In the first round, both runs were fairly easy - the other guy couldn't cut a light. In the 2nd round in the '57, I treed the other guy by .02, but took too much stripe and broke out by .010. In the Camaro, my light wasn't as good as it was in the '57, I broke out by .04, but the other guy broke out worse, so I kept moving on. 3rd round there was an odd number of cars, they picked me for the bye. 4th round we were paired based on closest to dial in the 3rd round w/o breaking out - I didn't bother to put the last number on since I didn't expect to run a 4th round, so I was pretty far down the ladder. I was paired with another 3rd gen that was dialing a second slower than me (exactly one second slower), our lights were pretty much equally bad, but I was able to feather the throttle across the line for a .0053 second MOV.

By this time I knew they weren't going to run another round, and as I prepared to change back to highway tires, they called my number to go pick up a trophy - they awarded winner, runner-up, and semi-finalists based on closest to dial without breaking out, and I was .017 off for a semi trophy.

My 2nd round exit in the '57 cost me one guy going around me in points, but the guy in 2nd went out in the 1st round, and the others 4th and farther back went out in the 1st round or were too far back to catch me, so if I followed things correctly, I should remain in 3rd place. My son probably picked up 5-8 places, almost to top 10, I believe.