Organized Drag Racing and Autocross Drag racing and autocross discussions and questions. Techniques, tips, suggestions, and "what will I run?" questions.

Battery cable through firewall

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 09:59 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1991 Formula
Engine: 434
Transmission: PG
Axle/Gears: 4.33
Battery cable through firewall

Has anyone used the Moroso (or similar) bulkhead pass-thru for the positive battery cable? If so where did you put it through?

I am putting the battery in the trunk soon and was planning on running the switch and push off rod under the back passenger side of the bumper, using 0/1 gauge to the firewall and then on the other side of the bulkead fitting, 2 gauge to the remote starter solenoid. This bulkhead fitting would also serve as a positive source for the wires currently on the positive terminal of the battery and if I should go with a electric water pump in the future.

I was also planning on runnning 4 gauge back from the alternator to the battery. Is this large enough? Also do I attach this directly to the battery, or is the battery side of the switch good enough?

Thanks for any/all input.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Battery cable through firewall

the bulkhead/passthrough connectors work ok, I would just use the big cable all the way to the starter if you can, but the 2 gauge will work. the alt wire can go to the battery side of the switch (you are running a big cable to the switch right?) Also be careful mounting the switch low, if the car happens to lift the front wheels, it may shut the car off....that would be bad!
I actually ran my wiring out the right kick panel and under the hood that way, i do have a bulkhead connector on the right side by the hood hinge

this is the battery box i built also, it holds a large battery, like is used in a m-b diesel car, lots of reserve capacity without dual batteries.