Organized Drag Racing and Autocross Drag racing and autocross discussions and questions. Techniques, tips, suggestions, and "what will I run?" questions.

New pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008 | 08:08 PM
25 Year Member

Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86
New pics

Took the car out of the garage to get some new pictures. My neighbor parked behind my garage making it a little close to get out. He got a nasty note on his windshield for parking behind my garage.

I thought taking pictures of the gloss black car before was hard. It's lightly overcast and the flat black makes it very difficult to photograph. I couldn't take a picture from the other side because of the car parked there.

Old 03-23-2008 | 08:12 PM

Car: 82 camaro
Engine: 434 ci
Transmission: t400
Axle/Gears: 9'' 4.10 gear
Re: New pics

I like this years look better than last years. Flames came out nice. Are you going to spray it with clear or are you leaving it flat black?
Old 03-23-2008 | 08:15 PM
25 Year Member

All spray can paint job. No clear/gloss wanted. Well the flames are gloss because I couldn't get yellow, orange and red in flat spray cans.

Very easy to do paint touch up. Get a scratch, hit it with a spray can and it's fixed.
Old 03-23-2008 | 08:18 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1982 Trans-Am
Engine: 355 w/ ported 416s
Transmission: T10, hurst shifter
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, true-trac, 3.73

Looks pretty sharp. Think it'll get the same amount of air with that hood setup? I can't help but think it'll struggle to get as much air as before?

What neighborhood are you in, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 03-23-2008 | 08:32 PM
25 Year Member

I'm in the west end of Ogden near the Safeway.

The top of the toilets are roughly 2" from the top of the scoop. Hard to say if they'll suck enough air. They'll still get a ram air effect. If they don't get enough air, I can simply unbolt the aero scoop and take it off letting the toilets poke through the cowl scoop. The toilets don't need air filters or a cover at the track like carbs are required to have.

I've considered getting a taller scoop also but like the idea of being able to look over the hood this year.
Old 03-23-2008 | 08:48 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1982 Trans-Am
Engine: 355 w/ ported 416s
Transmission: T10, hurst shifter
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, true-trac, 3.73

Hmm... Well I guess if you notice it wants to be leaner, then you have your answer.
No air filters are "required"? I'd think you'd wear out the internals of the engine quickly if you don't run any air filters. You aren't too worried about that? The first time I saw a guy kick up a dust storm nearby i'd get pretty nervous.

Ahh, Ogden, I was going to guess Ogden or Lynnwood. I'll keep my eyes open for it when i'm going to work over there in the industrial park.
Old 03-23-2008 | 08:56 PM
25 Year Member

I have covers to put over the toilets when I'm parked and have a scoop plug for the scoop while in transit. Whenever possible, because I'm in the faster car class, I pit along the staging lanes so there's little chance of dirt being kicked up. The car only runs at WOT going down the track. The only thing that should get sucked in are bugs. This isn't a high mileage vehicle that's going to see street use where an air filter is required. The minimal amount of dirt that gets sucked into the engine won't make very much of a difference.

Check out some of the Super Stock hemi cars. They have a factory scoop on the hood and the carbs with no filters are just under the hood. They don't seem to have a problem.
Old 03-23-2008 | 10:54 PM

Car: T/A / Grand Am
Engine: 383 SBC
Transmission: glide
Axle/Gears: 9" ford 5.67

I like the way she looks. Hood looks much better, my 02. I don't run an aircleaner either. I built an aluminum plate that goes on the carb with foam rubber to seal against the bottom of the hood, so it can only pull air from the scoop. I tried an aircleaner a few years ago when we were running a 2nd gen T/A with an areo scoop like yours. It slowed down .020, only had it on 2 passes. Was running too fat with the aircleaner. Even if I were to run a street car down the track, the aircleaner would be off. My engine has 5 seasons on it, and I just had it down for bearings. Cyclinders looked real good, just deglazed them and put it back together. 2 1/2 seasons on the rings and bearings, wasn't too bad. How much do you think it'll pick up with the toilets? The car realy looks good with the rear tires tucked in. Good luck this season.
Old 03-23-2008 | 11:38 PM
25 Year Member

I've started another discussion on a different forum about hood clearance. One person said they needed to cut the breather tubes at a 45* angle to clear the hood and another said they saw no difference in performance with a 3/4" gap then putting on a scoop. Based on that information, I'll probably leave the aero scoop on. I was also told in another forum that my car looks real mean now I still think the licks of the flames are too big.

Hard to say how much the car may pick up. I know I was running way too fat with the carbs. EGT was low when I crossed the stripe and I never bothered chasing a tune with jets. I think my record for changing 8 jets was 20 minutes. I'll be happy if I only knock off .2-.3 seconds with the injection. I really don't want to dip into the 8's although if I travel to any other track, they'll be lower in elevation and it's possible I will be in the 8's. Getting into the 8's gets a lot more expensive. I'm currently happy in the mid nines.

It's also a lot easier to change the tune with the toilets. A pill change can be done in less than 30 seconds and changing the jets in the nozzles should take less than 5 minutes. I should have a close enough base tune that I shouldn't need to change anything.

This was looking under the hood today. One thing I hate about these fabricated valve covers, there's no way to attach spark plug looms. The alternator is mounted backwards and attached to the frame. I can now say there is no factory part on or in my engine. The mount bolt goes into the motor plate and the adjuster arm is attached to the frame.

Old 03-24-2008 | 04:38 AM

Car: 85 Z28
Engine: 383
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3:73

This new look is much better
Old 03-24-2008 | 04:55 AM

Damn man that car is sweet. Flames look great and the motor is the s**t lol
Old 03-24-2008 | 10:14 PM

Car: T/A / Grand Am
Engine: 383 SBC
Transmission: glide
Axle/Gears: 9" ford 5.67

I don't know much about the toilets, are they wet or dry? I believe at my track you can't get away from either running a scoop or an aircleaner if they are wet. If you could make a pass without the scoop you would know for sure if it hurts it. I dought it would make a differance. Did you do the flames yourself? I think they look real good, wish I could do that. I can paint, but my flames look like poo. I'd like to put some on my GA later this spring when I paint it. Got to finish the glass nose first though. I'll stay with the 1/8 mile, don't care to run the 1/4. Don't want to go that fast no more. I may stick my 406 in my sons 96 bird so he can run the 1/4 at Gateway for pinks all out in June. He has never ran the 1/4, so he has a surprise comming, I think.
Old 03-24-2008 | 11:10 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 Firebird
Engine: 355
Transmission: T56

Not sure how i feel about the flames, but i really really like that hood!

Makes it look a little "stealthier" than before. You knew something was going on before under there, with the old hood, but with this one, youre not so sure anymore.

Very cool!

Do you plan to put stickers back on the car?
Old 03-25-2008 | 12:12 AM
25 Year Member

Toilets are dry. They're just big throttle bodies. You can see the injector hoses coming from the barrel valve attached to the rear toilet and going down to the bottom of the runners of the tunnel ram.

Did the flames myself. I air brushed flames on 2 previous bikes I owned with much smaller licks. The car was sanded down to 220 grit. I wasn't after a show car smooth finish because it was going to be painted flat black. Once the car was painted with spray cans, I free handed the flames with some 1/8" vinyl body masking. You need this tape to get a sharp edge and so it doesn't pull up in the sharp corners. Once I had both sets of flames outlined, I masked the entire hood and front of the car for everything that wasn't going to see color.

Now comes the spray cans. Covered everything with 2 or 3 coats of white for a base coat. When dry, I then shot the leading edge with a bright yellow. Moving into the flames saw orange then the tips were painted red. Because it was all done with spray cans, the blending isn't a smooth as what I could do with an air brush or paint sprayer. It looks good in the pictures but up close you can see it's not a smooth transition blend. With the masking still on, you really don't get to see what the final result will look like.

Once it was all dry, all the masking was removed. I then used a #1 pinstriping brush and outlined all the flames including the black over black flames with a sky blue to complement the yellow/orange/red because that's the color across from them on a color wheel. In the pictures, you can see the blue at the tips but every outline has blue. The paint job and pinstriping won't win any car shows but it looks good in pictures, going down the track and reasonably good standing beside the car. I'm not building a show car so a perfect paint job wasn't high on my priority list but I'm sure it will still be photographed a lot this year because of how it looks.

Although I have enough contingency decals, I won't be putting any back on the car. I never got any contingency or sponsorship money anyway.

As for stealthier, The mufflers make it very quiet but that permanent 9. on the windows and the "box" indicating that I run in electronics class kinda gives it away that it's fast.