Organized Drag Racing and Autocross Drag racing and autocross discussions and questions. Techniques, tips, suggestions, and "what will I run?" questions.

Project SILVER IROC, Cammed Vortec, UNDERWAY!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 10:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1985 IROC-Z Silver
Engine: Vortec 5.7L
Transmission: WC-T5
Axle/Gears: 3.23 disc brake 10 bolt
Project SILVER IROC, Cammed Vortec, UNDERWAY!

Crank is in the machine shop....010"/.010". Heads are going in 2 days for screw-in studs and guideplates and .030" mill with 918 Beehive springs and Precision Race Components Ttanium retainers on there way from Texas Speed and some Summit 1.5 roller rockers. 98 Vortec 350ci Stock Bore 9.8:1 compression. Received FelPro .015" gaskets and Summit rod and main bearing 2 days ago. 3" dynomax bullets came 10 min ago. Hedman Longtubes and Summit 3" X-pipe kit on the way...Should be here this afternoon. Holley Blue pump and Regulator and Wysco billet distributor on the way.
Lunati .510/.525" lift 232/242 @.050" duration on 110 lsa Hydraulic ROLLER cam in my room and a Professional Products Air Gap intake with a 600 Double Pumper for now til I purchase a 750 Mighty Demon.

for a TOTAL cost for everything INCLUDING the car so far= $2050.
includes everything above plus,
Rebuilt WC T5 w B&M Ripper shifter, plus NON WC T5 and B&M SPORT shifter
CenterForce Dual Friction Clutch
Lakewood LCA's
Edelbrock Strut tower brace
5.0 HO Dual snorkle air cleaner
Aftermarket aluminum radiator from local speed shop
Electric fan 4
90% tread "new" tires on the original IROC wheels

....2 months or so and HOPEFULLY she will be up and running and I will have some 1/8 mile times coming for U guys!
Old 03-13-2008, 02:41 PM
IHI
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 firebird with 98 firebird interi
Engine: pump gas 427sbc Dart Lil M 13.5:1
Transmission: Oldani TH400 w/ BTE 9" convertor
Axle/Gears: 31 spline Moser/full spool/4.11Rich
Re: Project SILVER IROC, Cammed Vortec, UNDERWAY!

Sell it, sell it all now
cuz it starts out as a mild 350, next thing ya know the family is eating saltines because you will develope tunnel vision and want to go faster
Old 03-13-2008, 04:12 PM

Car: 1985 Camaro
Engine: 565 BBC
Transmission: Glide
Axle/Gears: 9 inch/spool/3.70

LOL well said IHI couldnt agree more. But it sounds like a nice combo, can't beat that price.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:04 PM
IHI
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by BlueBeast
LOL well said IHI couldnt agree more. But it sounds like a nice combo, can't beat that price.

sounds kinda familair does'nt it fricken cars anyways, cant find a way to put that new kitchen in the house, but we sure as heck can find a way to build that new motor, buy a new rear end, race for 4 days outta town/state, etc.....the list goes on, i'm lucky i have a patient wife and we have seperate checking accounts

The combination sounds like a good one, should be a nice 12 second machine for a realtively small budget, good job.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:10 PM

Car: 1987 IROC
Engine: 350 vortec
Transmission: TH350 3500 stall
Axle/Gears: 3.73 10 bolt grenade

sounds like a motor i just finished. it runs really well and is fairly streetable, how was the intake? ive heard good and bad things about professional products
Old 03-13-2008, 10:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: SLOW carbed ls
Transmission: TH400 with brake, 8" PTC converter
Axle/Gears: moser 9" 4.11

sell the intake and buy an edelbrock performer rpm air-gap. Those ports won't line up and it'll take a bunch of porting to get it close to an out of the box edelbrock.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:29 PM

Car: 1985 IROC-Z Silver
Engine: Vortec 5.7L
Transmission: WC-T5
Axle/Gears: 3.23 disc brake 10 bolt

Originally Posted by xpndbl3
sell the intake and buy an edelbrock performer rpm air-gap. Those ports won't line up and it'll take a bunch of porting to get it close to an out of the box edelbrock.
And I care why?....Thats half the fun. I love porting sh*t. It'll run THAT much better. I've actually already started porting it. It probably would have been perfect though. It looked/looks really good. Nice intake for the money.

AND IHI, I already gotta racecar. This is just the street toy. Just a CHEAP, Not spending more than $4500 or so on EVERYTHING including paint and body. Just something to tool around in. I got the '86 for going FAST. Its getting a few upgrades next winter.....converter, Solid roller, and the heads ported.

Last edited by z28freak84; 03-13-2008 at 11:53 PM.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:42 AM
IHI
Supreme Member

The professional products intakes are cheap, but need ALOOOOT of attention, i figured i'd buy one for a back up motor-read cheap-something to get me by in a pinch.

When i put the intake gaskets up to trace my pattern, holy cow was i blown away at how tiny the ports were on my felpro 1206 gaskets....i spent a few hours with my rough cut carbide, but this intake will take an good 4-6 hours of porting to get it into the shape of an out of the box vic jr that can be touched up in an hour or so....

to each his own, some guys like to tinker, like you said since you've already begun to port on it, but to port it right is another story since you HAVE to have a flow bench and calipers to get each runner done right, and then expect at least 2+ hours under the carb area...they just leave waaay too much material all the way around on that thing. At least their honest and tell you "we leave plenty of material so you can have it matched to your particular combination" but I have up on mine after a little over a 2 hours... to me time is money, just like running my business, the 4-6 hours i lose focking around with this chinese crap could be spent elsewhere either making money or doing something productive since it's not really saving me money standing in the shop dinking with ports for this amount of time...so to me, often it's easier to spend the little bit more initally for a known good part that gets you 80% to the finish line (like the edelbrock intakes) as opposed to being a slave to my wallet.

not flaming, we all have different mind sets and ways of doing things, that's nature, but just wanting to let other's know how crappey these PP intakes are so they're prepared for the hours it's going to take to get them back to what a vic jr or super vic type intake would be out of box....mine's been retired to the shelves for 3 or 4 yrs know with a nice collection of dust on it LOL!!
Old 03-14-2008, 10:40 AM
Supreme Member

Josh is right, without a proper flow bench each cylinder's air/fuel mixture will be thrown out of whack by your "home self porting". If each cylinder is not done properly then I've seen cylinders off by .4 A/F compared to the others on a dyno.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:03 AM

Engine: Alky 360
Transmission: TH400, Freakshow 9.5"
Axle/Gears: 9" 4.71

If the PP intakes are so bad, why are the techs at Petersen Publishing using them in their engine builds? Also, the PP intakes are 1/2 price of the Edelbrock stuff. Yeah I know time is $$ but, isn't that how most of us got into doing this stuff, you took what you had and made it work. It is seriously sad these days that the true original hot rodders are all gone. Now everyone replaces sweating and bleeding on there parts to make them better with throwing more $$ at it to buy the top $$ parts. Not saying that having the money to spend on equipement is bad, just understand that there are those who would rather "make" than buy.

OK I feel better now
Old 03-15-2008, 12:11 PM
IHI
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by KWIK84
If the PP intakes are so bad, why are the techs at Petersen Publishing using them in their engine builds? Also, the PP intakes are 1/2 price of the Edelbrock stuff. Yeah I know time is $$ but, isn't that how most of us got into doing this stuff, you took what you had and made it work. It is seriously sad these days that the true original hot rodders are all gone. Now everyone replaces sweating and bleeding on there parts to make them better with throwing more $$ at it to buy the top $$ parts. Not saying that having the money to spend on equipement is bad, just understand that there are those who would rather "make" than buy.

OK I feel better now
peterson publishing, just like any tech magazine gets products for free to use for their writes up's...cheap cheap advertising giving away a product to a publisher that will write about it and tell hundreds of thousands of people...cheapest advertising they will get to a mass audience...i would like to try post card mailers, price $15,000 for 20,000 mailed postcards to advetise for me and i've got a 4"x6" card to get my message across. Proven feedback rate for advertising this is 1%, so out of 20,000 cards i will get 200 people to call with no gaurntee of work since it's also proven inital calls are just price checkers and tire kickers unless you self finance and have a stellar sales group, they say you need to mail them at least bi monthly and it takes 6 cycles to get a branding of the company and get upto 4-5% feedback after i drop $120,000. So for any company to "donante" with "no intention of product highlighting, but feel free to say what you want and we will supply you with more free product-wink wink" it's a no brainer. Company spends $80 their cost on an intake given and gets huuuge exposure, heck, your telling me about it LOL!! it worked obviously

We all started small, well most of us unless we had a silver spoon, but in todays world, most of us are busy with life. Sure cars are a passion/hobby to most of us, but so are families/freinds so each moment we're having to tinker in the garage to get cheap brand A upto snuff when a person could just stick an extra $100 and get something that will be twice as good out of the box...i dunno, at this point in my life, i'll drop the extra hun and go about my day doing other things as opposed to spending hours trying to tweak a part to get it to work, when i know stuff that will work is already readily available for not much more.

True hot rodding like our grandfathers and such is all but over, they grew up in the pioneering days with no computers to run sims before a product is made, they hand forged stuff and had to tune it themselves to make it work...today with all the bright people working for all these companies, ideas are flying left and right, coomputers are able to electronically make and test run parts and if there's a problem, a few key strokes and they can make it better so when they produce the first casting of whatever, it's about as close to perfect as it's gonna get. Times have changed drastically since hot rodding first started, people are much busier so the select few like you and stephen for example that like to tweak and tinker on their stuff to save a buck is a dying breed. Often it's much easier and CHEAPER in the long run to just pay to have something done for you...DIY's (and i see it daily and have for years with my construction gig) try to do too much stuff on their own, and dont realize they're spending $20 to save $1...just human nature when your looking for a deal, but once everything washes out, in the end the guy that has stuff done is often further ahead since he can just jump in the game and play vs tinkering and tweaking trying to get it just right because he's saving a buck

not flaming on anybody, we all percieve things differently, this is just one of life's lessons i have finally had beat into working with sucessful clients and talking with sucessful freinds...you save money by doing what you do in life well to make the money to let other's do what they do well for you, frees up both time and money on your end and that's one of the path's to sucess to laymen....i used to buy old trucks for work, fix them up, and they'd still nickel and dime me, started buying more expensive stuff...low and behold at the end of the year even with higher inital costs, the total cost of operating and maintenance is actually lower on the newer stuff...so while i used to think i was saving money, come tax time i could'nt deny the bottom line...that is just one example but it carries over into sooo many aspects of life for all of us.

okay i feel better too
Old 03-15-2008, 03:11 PM
Supreme Member

I agree with Josh, the days of hot rodding are over, and how many hot rodders busted their butts on their cars to run what 14s maybe 13s at best. Now a computer model and machine can give you out of the box performance and spending 6 hours porting an intake to save $80 when I could be out MAKING $120 at least doesn't make any sense to me at all. Plus no flow bench means the A/F ratio will never be spot on for a safe tune. If a motor cost $3k on the cheap end, is saving $80 worth possibly blowing it up due to running a few cylinders too lean. The only people who can afford to do something twice are the ones that skimp the first time around.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:44 PM
IHI
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by xpndbl3
The only people who can afford to do something twice are the ones that skimp the first time around.
You have that misquoted

"The only ones that can afford to be cheap is a rich person.....they can afford to do it twice" and oh how true that typically is unless a person is extremely lucky. Other than that misquote, your spot on.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:45 PM

Engine: Alky 360
Transmission: TH400, Freakshow 9.5"
Axle/Gears: 9" 4.71

While I do agree with the idea of do it once, do it right (quality triangle?). There are still alot of ppl out there who like to do it on there own. So while many of us have "been there, done that" there is still no replacement for self experience.

BTW...IHI r u running MBA this year?
Old 03-15-2008, 03:46 PM
Supreme Member

haha touche.
Old 03-15-2008, 05:40 PM
IHI
Supreme Member

While I do agree with the idea of do it once, do it right (quality triangle?). There are still alot of ppl out there who like to do it on there own. So while many of us have "been there, done that" there is still no replacement for self experience.

BTW...IHI r u running MBA this year?

I honestly dont know if i'll do the mba series, with the price of fuel it's gonna be costly to travel esspecially with this new box i'll be pulling around, and i might have to see what the economy is gonna do with the building/remodeling sector..if it slows, then i'll slow...so far the phone has been ringing like crazy and i've been bidding work like mad, but i've only signed a few jobs this week so we'll see...plus our local track in only 20 minutes from me and they're going backto the 2 day race program and $2K payouts, so i might just stick to home more....we're still planning on running in St. Louis in May for that 4 day race at Gateway, but too many things up in the air to really say what i'm going to do...not to mention we HAVE to take a vacation this year, wife's been hounding me for the past 10yrs, but it's bad since summer time is our busy time, so trying to get away can be tough unless we have a specific job that does'nt require much brain work and i feel comfortable not being on site..this construction gig is tough all the way around LOL!!
----------
There are still alot of ppl out there who like to do it on there own. So while many of us have "been there, done that" there is still no replacement for self experience.
yes, but often self experience is costly...both time and money

Last edited by IHI; 03-15-2008 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost