Organized Drag Racing and Autocross Drag racing and autocross discussions and questions. Techniques, tips, suggestions, and "what will I run?" questions.

Jegster TQ arm lifting rear too much

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jegster TQ arm lifting rear too much

Ive been noticing this problem and after the launch the car has been getting squirrely and sometime i have to let off the throttle to get the car straight again. The TQ arm seem to be lifting the car that much that it unloads the rear suspension and there is way too much anti-squat. Some racers ive talked to with very quick low 8 second cars are telling to to get a longer tq arm like a spohn, so the mounting point of the tq arm is more towars the instant center of the car and the traction will stay there evn after the launch. Let me know what you guys think of this pic. This pic was a 1.45 60' and et was 10.53 @128. The car sitting has only 1 inch of gap between the rear tie and the wheel well, but as you can see in the pic theres like 5-6 inches of separation right off the launch and it stays like that most of the run. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Jegster TQ arm lifting rear too much-atco-track-rental-gta.jpg  

Last edited by JohnnyGTA; 10-18-2006 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:03 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 136 Likes on 114 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86
If possible, lower the front mounting point. Another option is to put stiffer/taller springs in the rear which would have roughly the same effect. Dropping the mount point will reduce the amount that the car pulls the front wheels also.

Having the back end rise up is better than having it drop down too much. It promotes better weight transfer and hits the tires harder. If the back end is dropping down, it's actually the diff rising upwards which means the tires are hitting softer. You may need some different shocks which can slow the extension.

Like a ladder bar system, a torque arm front mount point should be on or just above the anti-squat line. Having it below the anti-squat line will soften the tire hit and won't let the front end rise as much or allow better weight transfer. Length doesn't really mean much because the anti-squat line can be just about anywhere. Changing the length just moves the instant center around in relation to the car's center of gravity. A long torque arm means you can have the instant center forward of the CG and still be on or near the anti-squat line.

That's why 4-link systems are so popular. You can have a theoretical front mount point just about anywhere including inside the car.

It's hard to see how hard those tires are hitting but that launch picture looks fine to me.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:15 PM

Car: 82 Z-28
Engine: 408
Transmission: TH-400
Axle/Gears: 4.11
do you have relocation brackets on the rear end? i dont see them listed in your sig. but i thought i would ask.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:28 PM

yes i have the spohn lca relocation brackets on the 9" rear
Old 10-19-2006, 06:04 PM
TGO Supporter

Well the relocation brackets are hurting you even more, move them back to stock mounting point..
I run jegster as well, and had similiar problems.

And adjustable rebound shock will help, however I do not have them due to price.. It helped me to lower car and loosen front so it can tranfer above rear as well. But lowering seemed to help the most..
Stock LCA mounting will try and combat some of the lift but will lose, but it helps.

My car has bested 1.41 N/A on footbrake and 1.38 spraying at 20 mph.

Here are some pics, you can see resting and launching..
Attached Thumbnails Jegster TQ arm lifting rear too much-bvd22.jpg   Jegster TQ arm lifting rear too much-bvd3.jpg   Jegster TQ arm lifting rear too much-bvd4.jpg  
Old 10-19-2006, 06:10 PM
TGO Supporter

And another

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/atta...ver-launch.jpg
Old 10-19-2006, 09:35 PM

Car: 82 Z-28
Engine: 408
Transmission: TH-400
Axle/Gears: 4.11
Originally Posted by 87_TA
Well the relocation brackets are hurting you even more, move them back to stock mounting point..
I run jegster as well, and had similiar problems.
agree, move the rear of the lower arms up.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:26 AM
IHI
Supreme Member

Car: 86 firebird with 98 firebird interi
Engine: pump gas 427sbc Dart Lil M 13.5:1
Transmission: Oldani TH400 w/ BTE 9" convertor
Axle/Gears: 31 spline Moser/full spool/4.11Rich
Changing to stock mounting location on the rear diff for the LCA arms will help, right now it's exagurating the IC point of the car, hence the extreme lift out back. So long as it will hook consistantly your car looks fine right now. But since I've been there done that, I know in the heat of the summer it gets to be borderline too much for the tires to take on a greasey track. Also, if you race consistantly, you will easily ruin a set of slicks a month due to sidewalls being overworked since they are taking 90% of the abuse because the hit is going into them (sidewalls) and not the chasis; I removed slicks that still had ALOT of plug left rubber wise, but the tires were not good for me since the 60's went away.

I run the jegster TQ arm and dont think that there is enough adjustiment to move the mounting point down, and still be able to set pinion back to -2 or -3*, so cutting the arm up will be the best idea to get it so there is adjustiment. I've thought long and hard about how to do my set-up with the new power plant, and building my own TQ arm seems like the only good solution for everything I want out of it performance wise and still having room for exhaust. Just gonna rob the parts of the jegster unit and start in