Organized Drag Racing and Autocross Drag racing and autocross discussions and questions. Techniques, tips, suggestions, and "what will I run?" questions.

Just a thought!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006 | 10:31 PM

Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: Alky 360
Transmission: TH400, Freakshow 9.5"
Axle/Gears: 9" 4.71
Just a thought!

I was wondering if anyone has ever seen or has an pics of a straight axle third gen? WAIT!!!! Don't yell yet. I have the chance to "aquire a 82 berli that has been setting around rusting in some family friends back yard since when they bought the house several years ago. They finally got through all of the red tape to be able to do something with the car, and they got a hold of me. The car is basically shot and should probably be shipped to the crusher, but I can't let an opportunity to do something different. Was thinking about making a gasser style ride out of it. Yes, I know the kind of fab and crazy work thta will be required, that's why I want to do it, but I was unsure if anyone has seen anything like this or not. OK, now you can feel free to yell.
Old 06-28-2006 | 12:08 AM
Supreme Member
20 Year Member

Car: camaro sportcoupe
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: G-Force GF5R
Axle/Gears: Moser 9"
wow...gasser thirdgen! make sure you use a big blown bbc with a hilborn style hat ontop with no hood...or at least one that lets from the valve covers up stick through. then you have to run the old slot style mag wheels....this could be a cool project! and if it falls through, make sure you send me the front bumper cover...(i'd like to go to the older style sportcoupe/berlinetta bumper cover) and i know my buddy Kody would possibly be interested in the front turn signals if infact it is a berlinetta (they had some very specific turn signals)
Old 06-28-2006 | 07:05 AM

Would actually like to do a mechanical injection system on a sb, but a blown bb would be nice to, maybe a muncie, I can get a hold of an older pontiac rear end, the car would be a pita to build but i think that it would be worth it when it's done. Are you looking for the 82-84 front bummper cover then? I know for a few back around my old hometown, i'll do some checking for you, and what year turn signals does kody need? Didn't the berli's having some bigger t/s lenses back in those years if I remeber right.

I have always liked the gasser look, just would like to try and incorporate it to a third gen.
Old 06-28-2006 | 10:21 AM
Supreme Member
20 Year Member

oooh, like enderly injection with the big stacks? that would be cool! but you gotta put the motor in with the front of the engine sticking way out of the engine bay. you'd probably have to put it on leaf springs all the way around too...and you'd have to paint it some wild color with a name on the door like BLAST FROM THE PAST or somehting so that people know you were going for the gasser look instead of just building it out of ignorance, lol!

the turn signals weren't bigger or smaller from the regular sportcoupes, just different. the stock 82-84 sc t/s were square and amber. the berly ones were the same size/shape but they were clear and had a plastic molding through the middle of it.

i'm looking for a front bumper cover for the 82-84 sportcoupe/berly. find out how much it would cost to ship before you go pullin' stuff...

Last edited by mw66nova; 06-28-2006 at 10:27 AM.
Old 06-28-2006 | 12:12 PM

I have already found a straight front axle to use, i think it was out of an early 50's ford truck. The leaf spring thing will take alot of work, but oh well! I was thinking about probably using a pair of formed frame rails and setting them up into the body a little bit so the back end didn't set too high. Now I just have to take some (ALOT) of measurements to see how I can incorporate the front axle to the front frame. I was thinking about using some sort of shackle setup to tie everything together. I know that finding some way to use the stock k-member would be easier, but i don't know if i can get the front end up where I would want it. If I do this it will prolly be a 15 yr project or something.

I will check shipping, prolly be outrageous just because of the size. I will check on it though. I may be able to ship it from my dad's work which might be able to get a little better rate.
Old 06-28-2006 | 12:32 PM
Supreme Member
20 Year Member

well, if your using a straight axle, none of the front suspension stuff would be needed...get it all outta there...i don't think you'd even need any type of shock absorber? but if you did away with the front suspension, i'd say ****** the front k-member out of there and make some braces that go between the two front frame rails. then come up with some custom engine mounts or motor plates or something...i would seriously love to see the waterpump pulley poking out the hood...the thing would end up have ridiculous ground clearance...but it could be neat for sure!