Organized Drag Racing and Autocross Drag racing and autocross discussions and questions. Techniques, tips, suggestions, and "what will I run?" questions.

tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006 | 07:49 PM

Car: 91 firebird
Engine: sb2.2 headed sbnos
Transmission: tsi glide
Axle/Gears: 4.30
tuning?

Ok guys most times i wouldnt have dumb questions but i feel like i have a few for ya right now. Ok i wanna start tuning my car on motor in a few months when the cars ready. Obviously playing with jets is key, do you start with the primaries then the secondaries do them simultaneously or what? Timing Right now its set at 38* where should i go up or down or both will i watch for the mph change or is that mostly noticable in jet changes. What other changes have yall made to pick up mph or et in tuning? Has anyone played with valve lash on a solid roller? And last do you think( this is an opinion question) there would be a difference in going to a set of 1.6 rockers which would make the lift .674? Thanks for any help or tips thanks Aaron
Old 02-06-2006 | 08:10 PM
25 Year Member

Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86
Start with timing. 38* is a good starting point. Go up or down 2* at a time until you get your best mph then leave the timing alone. No other changes to the engine will affect where it likes the timing so you always start with timing.

Play with primary jets first. Go 2 jet sizes at a time. Once the best mph is achieved, tune the secondaries. My car is strip only. I have the carb(s) squared. Same jets in the primaries and secondaries. Even at a launch, I'm at WOT until I cross the finish line. Tuning primaries and secondaries seperately is only needed when it's a street/strip car.

Assuming you have slicks, adjust tire pressure 1/2 pound at a time until the best 60' is reached. Sometimes it can be hard to do if the track isn't prepped properly.

There's other things you can do like play with spark plug gap or valve lash but they won't make as big of an impact as the above tuning. If performance increases from increasing or decreasing lash then you have the wrong valve grind. Aluminum heads need the lash tightened up .005" from the recommended specs.

Increasing lift with a higher ratio rocker may not always help. You've already got .631 lift with 1.5's.
Is the valve train capable of the increased lift?
Will the springs bind with that much lift?
Will the bottom of the retainer hit the top of the valve guide?
Will the valves hit the piston?

All your tuning will show up in the mph. That's the indication of HP. ET depends on traction and can vary a lot from run to run. Only change one thing at a time to see what kind of change it did. The best way to tune is during an all day event where you can make 20+ passes.

No two cars are the same so what works well in one car may not be what yours wants. Fine tuning can take a long time. Getting some dyno time is the best way to do it. You can see instant results and they're not affected by environmental changes.
Old 02-06-2006 | 08:17 PM

Car: 91 firebird
Engine: sb2.2 headed sbnos
Transmission: tsi glide
Axle/Gears: 4.30
thanks stephen. thats alot of help.