Organized Drag Racing and Autocross Drag racing and autocross discussions and questions. Techniques, tips, suggestions, and "what will I run?" questions.

M/T ET Street users..come here!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005 | 09:35 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1982 Z28
Engine: 355
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 12 Bolt
M/T ET Street users..come here!!

I just ordered myself a nice new set of 27x10.5x15 ET Streets for my Z.Is there any break-in for these things?I also emailed M/T..but I also wanted some real world experiences of what works best.

I am also looking for recommendations of how these things should be prepped for each pass when at the track.....this will be in a manual trans car?Long smokey burnouts..short quick dry hops...water..no water?Just wanna know what works best.I know each set will hook different on each different car..just looking to get a starting point to learn how to fully utilize these tires.Air pressure also?Same questions!!
Old 06-27-2005 | 12:04 PM
TGO Supporter

Actually for manual cars mickey thompson recomends little to no burnout at all.. Though it may sound funny, my brother in law was using them on his mid 11 second LSI and having trouble with car bogging even when dumping at 6200 - so I recommended no burnout to try and get some tire spin, still dead hooked on no burnout.

I have used them on my car in years past, go with small burnouts to get some heat in them anymore and you are just wasting the tire. They don't seem to like less than 11 lbs for me.
Don't spin on the street and they will get pretty good amount of miles, don't drive in rain after 1/2 tread. - before that be very careful in rain.
Old 06-27-2005 | 05:40 PM

Car: 94 Camaro
Engine: 380 sbc
Transmission: th400
Axle/Gears: 9" 4.11
I do a 4-5 second burnout staying in 1st gear at around 5500 rpm (with 4.10 gears) then let it roll out and grab traction. Also run about 12 psi in them now with the looser converter, ran 13 before with the stock type converter. Go through the water like a normal slick. The more passes I get on them in a night the softer and stickier mine seem to get, which makes sense I guess.
Old 06-27-2005 | 07:47 PM
25 Year Member

Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86
http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/faq_drag.html
Old 06-28-2005 | 12:28 PM
Supreme Member

Thanks Guys!

M/T recommends I do a good hot burnout the first time out with them to help the tires final "cure" otherwise a quick burnout at the start of the day when I am racing to heat them up,otherwise after that.. just launch..no burnout.Trial and error will tell once I get some seat time with them.

They also mentioned to measure the circumfrence and make sure it is even tire to tire and stretch them if necessary to make them even...gotta wait to get them mounted up first though.They said to do this before even mounting them on the car as once they are driven on and heated up I won't be able to do it anymore.Interesting.

I'm just hoping to see at least a 1.7ish 60ft next time out and some lower ET's.I ran on some old ET drags that were 26x8.5x15.I know (hope) this car has a 12 something in it somehwere..lol.
Old 06-28-2005 | 12:54 PM

Car: 94 Camaro
Engine: 380 sbc
Transmission: th400
Axle/Gears: 9" 4.11
Originally posted by onebad82z
Thanks Guys!

M/T recommends I do a good hot burnout the first time out with them to help the tires final "cure" otherwise a quick burnout at the start of the day when I am racing to heat them up,otherwise after that.. just launch..no burnout.Trial and error will tell once I get some seat time with them.

I can't imagine just going up to the line with no burnout what-so-ever. At least snap them off to get rid of all the marbles and crap that are stuck to the tire.
Old 06-28-2005 | 07:03 PM

Dude, you hvae to do a burnout! no matter what anyone tells yoiu. the lenght of the burnout is what you will be trying to determin once at the track..... on et streets I started my burnout then shifted to 2nd, when I got smoke I stayed in it for about 3-4sec then rolled out. They hooked everytime......
Old 06-28-2005 | 11:07 PM

Car: 82 Z-28
Engine: 408
Transmission: TH-400
Axle/Gears: 4.11
i went all last year with out doing burnouts. just pull around the water box and a quick dry hop is all i did. i had consistance 1.7 60 foots ran 7.9x in the `1/8th at 5700 foot eleavation(6900foot corrected). oh and i did win the pro class doing this. the car runs 11.7 on motor in the 1/4, and pulls 1.6 at firebird raceway. so it is possible for it to work with no burnouts
i am trying burnouts this year as i am going to spray a 150 shot out of the hole
Old 06-29-2005 | 04:06 AM
TGO Supporter

Originally posted by NOSFEDGTA
Dude, you hvae to do a burnout! no matter what anyone tells yoiu. the lenght of the burnout is what you will be trying to determin once at the track..... on et streets I started my burnout then shifted to 2nd, when I got smoke I stayed in it for about 3-4sec then rolled out. They hooked everytime......
Your Right,
Mickey Thompson does not know what they are talking about. lol
Old 06-29-2005 | 04:45 PM

Originally posted by 87_TA
Your Right,
Mickey Thompson does not know what they are talking about. lol
Actually if you attended the races I do on a regualr basis and talk to the reps at the mickey thompson booths ofton enough I just might know more than the salesman you talk to on the phone. Selling aproduct is one thing, talking with guys who use them is another. So why is it that nmra guys and true street guys do burnouts then ???? hmm must be a reason. when I tried the no burnout method i spun everytime. When I did a burnout I ran 9's on an et street.

So I must know more than you think...................
Old 06-30-2005 | 06:20 AM
TGO Supporter

Well that is not for an nmra application -it says stockers.

Like as in guys not running a 12"-14" rim with a 10" tread tire
to stiffen sidewall. and guys that have suspension setups that plant about 2000 lbs of force on launch per tire.
We are talking about cars that need a little bit of spin on the launch - not cars with $2000 adjustable clutch setups.

Congrats! you ran 9's on an ET street!
And..... you thought that was a record?

perhaps maybe you should get a job with M/T so you can teach them everything you know about tires

I apologize for coming across as a smart a$$, it says little to no burnout - If I could get away without doing a burnout and my 60ft reflected the same... Imagine how long your slicks would last! I would sure give it a shot....
Like the application I mentioned above.. Dead hooked both ways dumping @ 6200 - why waste the tire and make have more friction if its working?

Last edited by 87_TA; 06-30-2005 at 06:28 AM.
Old 06-30-2005 | 09:11 PM

Originally posted by 87_TA
Well that is not for an nmra application -it says stockers.

Like as in guys not running a 12"-14" rim with a 10" tread tire
to stiffen sidewall. and guys that have suspension setups that plant about 2000 lbs of force on launch per tire.
We are talking about cars that need a little bit of spin on the launch - not cars with $2000 adjustable clutch setups.

Congrats! you ran 9's on an ET street!
And..... you thought that was a record?

perhaps maybe you should get a job with M/T so you can teach them everything you know about tires

I apologize for coming across as a smart a$$, it says little to no burnout - If I could get away without doing a burnout and my 60ft reflected the same... Imagine how long your slicks would last! I would sure give it a shot....
Like the application I mentioned above.. Dead hooked both ways dumping @ 6200 - why waste the tire and make have more friction if its working?
not sure how much you race, but I am at a couple diff tracks a month. I talk to the races and the dealers enough to get info. As for the job at m/t do they have any openings ??? let me know I could use the extra cash.....

82z has a 4sp, 3.73's and a good motor behind it. I am giving him some friendly advice. I can see a stock car hooking but not a stout 355 with a 4sp.........

as for setting a record by runnings 9's???? not a chance it was done long before I was touching 14's However it was a record that night at the track, as I received the fastest street car award..... for the friday night test and tune.........
Old 07-01-2005 | 08:12 AM
TGO Supporter

Originally posted by NOSFEDGTA
not sure how much you race, but I am at a couple diff tracks a month. I talk to the races and the dealers enough to get info. As for the job at m/t do they have any openings ??? let me know I could use the extra cash.....

82z has a 4sp, 3.73's and a good motor behind it. I am giving him some friendly advice. I can see a stock car hooking but not a stout 355 with a 4sp.........

as for setting a record by runnings 9's???? not a chance it was done long before I was touching 14's However it was a record that night at the track, as I received the fastest street car award..... for the friday night test and tune.........
I race quite a bit actually, thanks for asking.. I really don't frequent different tracks every month due to points at my local - also I don't beleive in trailering my street cars. But 2 years ago I drove my 10 second naturally asperated pump gas car 6 hrs to maryland for the thirdgen meet that nobody attended.
This year I plan to go to Englishtown for some good sealevel air.

I would guess that your fastest street car is an auto? M/T recomends burnout for autos - anyway I think they still know their tires better than you - sorry if you feel different.

At this point who cares - I would be sure if he tries it and blows the tires off, he should do a little heater.
Old 07-01-2005 | 08:20 AM
Supreme Member

All points have been proven.I thank everyone for their recommendations.This is getting old..let's end this nicely.Thanks Gentlemen!
Old 07-12-2005 | 12:58 PM

take a look at the cars in the psca series http://www.pscaracing.com

all classes use et streets and are running low 8's. the new mt drag radials are used in the wild street class are hauling *** with this tire.