Organized Drag Racing and Autocross Drag racing and autocross discussions and questions. Techniques, tips, suggestions, and "what will I run?" questions.

R.I.P. Carlsbad Dragway

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2004 | 08:50 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Turbo Buick
Engine: 3.8 V6
R.I.P. Carlsbad Dragway

Today I attended the last saturday test and tune at carslbad raceway, the only quarter mile in San diego county. Tomorrow is the last bracket race.

Ive never felt so sad about a peice of land going away, there are what looks like dozens of huge buldozers waiting to demolish 41 years of drag racing history to make way for another cookie cutter housing deveopment

From what I understand, carlsbad officially opened in 1964 and at the time was considered a "super track", all the greats ran there, hot rod occassionally shows pictures of front engine dragsters duking it out back in the day at carlsbad with the same old sign, guardrails, and bleachers. It looks like it hasnt changed in 40 years except for what the weather has done to everything.

It was kind of neat to see front engine dragsters out there today.

Oddly enough I was the thirdgen torch bearer, there was not one other thirdgen f body there.

Anyhow tomorrow is the last bracket (they are letting ppl test and tune too) starts at 8 am, if you are anywhere close you ougtha head out there and pay your respects.

(as a side note, some rich dude is trying to organize a last ditch campaign to save the track, there is going to be a townhall meeting in carlsbad where he'd like to convince the powers that be that the track is a historical site and should be protected, i have the flyer in the car if anyone is interested in the effort)
Old 08-08-2004 | 10:14 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 87 Buick GN
Engine: 3.8L (231 cid) V6
Transmission: 200-4R
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt G80/ 3.42
That really sucks...granted Carlsbad wasn't the greatest track but at least SD had one. And that Qualcomm stadium crap doesn't count either.

I'm from SD...I grew up there and started street racing in Mira Mesa, but crap like that is one more reason why I'll never move back there.
Old 08-08-2004 | 05:09 PM

Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
I lived in San Diego for almost 9 years. I never raced because I couldn't afford it supporting a family of 4 on an engineer's income. I was able to race while in college in Nebraska (with that family of 4), but not in CA.

From the people I knew that did race, few had anything good to say about Carlsbad (some of the old WWII airfields used as drag strips were pretty bad, too). But, it's still better than nothing.