Organized Drag Racing and Autocross Drag racing and autocross discussions and questions. Techniques, tips, suggestions, and "what will I run?" questions.

best springs for the back

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004 | 10:38 PM
Supreme Member
20 Year Member

Car: camaro sportcoupe
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: G-Force GF5R
Axle/Gears: Moser 9"
best springs for the back

alright, i want to lower my car but i don't want to upset the weight transfer capabilities of the car. i have decided that the v6 springs will stay up front but with a drop spindle installed. before i do this, i want to know exactly the best spring to go with. the car is my daily driver with weekly poundings at the drag strip. should i just cut the coils? i heard this actually stiffens the springs. anyone one know of ways to lower the back and still have a well mannered street car and have decent weight transfer?

i've already pulled the isolators, it's helped a little, but not much.
Old 05-22-2004 | 10:13 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 83 Z-28
Engine: 406
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.70
Use the V6 springs in the rear for weight transfer. I run these in my Z28 and get 1.6 60' times. To lower it some in the rear just don't use the rubber isolator at the top of the spring. Instead use a piece of rubber hose on the first coil. You can experiment with different thickness hoses or even one hose over another. Just make sure to use some type of rubber on top so that it isn't metal against metal.
Old 05-22-2004 | 10:47 PM
25 Year Member

Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86
I use V6 springs in the rear just because my car is so much lighter.

A spring is designed to hold up a specific amount of weight. That's why they call it a spring rate. A thinner diameter wire that makes the coil spring has a lighter spring rate. That means if the spring is holding up the same amount of weight as a heavier spring, it will compress more. There's a limit as to how much a spring can compress before it becomes ineffective at controlling the bumps. If it's too light then hitting a bump can cause it to bottom out.

Changing the spring alone doesn't do much unless you install drag shocks in the rear also. Many racers just use a factory 50/50 rear shock. I use Koni SPA1 drag shocks, set them on the softest setting and left them alone. I could probably get better 60' times if I decided to play with the settings.

If you want to lower your car properly then buy aftermarket lowering springs and spindles. A third gens suspension sits high in the body lines already so lowering the car for looks really hurts performance. You'll also need to get LCA relocation brackets to move the rear of the LCA down or traction will get worse with the lowered car.

A "well mannered street car" and "decent weight transfer" are not going to happen using the same suspension. Don't even worry about weight transfer until you get deep into the 12's.