Organized Drag Racing and Autocross Drag racing and autocross discussions and questions. Techniques, tips, suggestions, and "what will I run?" questions.

Any thoughts on Recon engines?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003 | 08:56 PM
IHI
Supreme Member

Car: 86 firebird with 98 firebird interi
Engine: pump gas 427sbc Dart Lil M 13.5:1
Transmission: Oldani TH400 w/ BTE 9" convertor
Axle/Gears: 31 spline Moser/full spool/4.11Rich
Any thoughts on Recon engines?

Got the new Summit and am still searching for direction for my mill. Then I happened across the Recon 496 550hp/560tq. for only $5999.00 plus $145 to my door, already got the stuff to make it run, but I think I heard somewhere Recon has "mixed" reviews as far as durability and the way they build their engines. Stories of rod, main, head bolts not torqued. Just frivilous stuff mainly. The parts list looks pretty enticing with the steel crank, JE forged domes, Edelbrock aluminum heads, etc...seems like a pretty good deal to me for that kind of power that would hopefully get me my low 11 high 10's and still be streetable. Any thoughts opinions appreciated. Also, it comes with a measily hydraulic cam, assuming they have the "package" put together for this kind of power, do you think if I ripped out the factory cam and installed a big soild roller it'd be worth more power or just screw up what they have already?
Just a quick note to the builders here, I have no desire to build an engine, it's easier to write a check to a reputible machine shop/store and just pick it up. Not that I would'nt like to try someday, just not with a big investment in parts. I'm scared to take the chance-EVEN though there's always a chance this way as well-but that's the jist of it IMO, I figure if it survives the dyno pulls it should be good to go. Lemme know.
Old 08-22-2003 | 11:07 AM

Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Having Summit carry their product would seem to be a feather in the Recon cap.

Personally, I'd be tempted to open it up and check all torques. Doing that I'm sure would void any warranty from Recon, but would give me more peace of mind.

Putting a different cam in I'm absolutely sure would be cause for them to wash their hands of it completely.

As to buying vs. building: What was that bumper sticker I saw at Super Chevy last weekend? "If you didn't build it, it's not 'your' car." Or something like that...
Old 08-22-2003 | 10:02 PM
SSC
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 C4
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 307
"If you didn't build it, it's not 'your' car." Or something like that... "

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reccon engine are usually crap! Ive changed enough to know.
I'm sure a HO engine they build and sell I'm summit Is probably better then thier usuall blend of used a new parts but still it's a Reccon.

www.jasperengines.com/
http://www.jasperengines.com/performance.html#Class%20I
If your going to drop a few bucks on an engine try Jasper, Yea they race a ford and I rag on thier rep all the time But thier operation is 1st class. All new parts and they even use brand spanken new World or DART heads on every V8 engine they build. They also do custom stuff cam RR ect...... dyno sheet included with every engine.

Last edited by SSC; 08-22-2003 at 10:07 PM.
Old 08-24-2003 | 05:36 PM
IHI
Supreme Member

Before I just call them up and order it, I'm gonna check the speed shop that built the engine in the S-10, granted that was a 5 digit motor putting out good numbers, but I have no idea what they'll get for a big block making those numbers with those parts. All I want is a streetable 10 sec car-N/A of course, is that too much to ask for?
Old 08-24-2003 | 11:34 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '85 Z28
Engine: 305
Transmission: WC T5, 3.23 posi
It's possible, but you'll need some big cubes unless you have serious weight reduction... I'm looking for high 10 sec passes with the roots blown 383 I'm building, but that's in track form (lots of boost + race gas), street form should pull down mid 11's, which is plenty for the street.
Old 08-30-2003 | 10:44 PM

Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R-4
'"If you didn't build it, it's not 'your' car." Or something like that..."'

So are you guys saying this is true with a quality aftermarket crate engine too? Maybe something good like a ZZ4? Please tell me you're not serious. There are some people that don't have the tools or the know-how to build an engine.

Last edited by Irocster; 08-31-2003 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-31-2003 | 07:08 AM
IHI
Supreme Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Irocster
[B]
Originally posted by SSC

So are you guys saying this is true with a quality aftermarket crate engine too? Maybe something good like a ZZ4? Please tell me you're not serious. There are some people that don't have the tools or the know-how to build an engine.
Well I had the body work done by a professional, so I guess that's not my car, bought a short block and just bolted on the basics so it's not my car, tranny was rebuilt by a shop so it's not my car, I did put the rear end together, but had it checked by a shop so it's not my car. Wish I know where 15K went since I don't have a car to show for it.
Old 09-01-2003 | 12:02 PM
SSC
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 C4
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 307
Originally posted by IHI
Well I had the body work done by a professional, so I guess that's not my car, bought a short block and just bolted on the basics so it's not my car, tranny was rebuilt by a shop so it's not my car, I did put the rear end together, but had it checked by a shop so it's not my car. Wish I know where 15K went since I don't have a car to show for it.
Guess If you have faith in the person/persons doing the jobs for ya then one can live with it. I Only have faith in two people ones me and the others up there.

SSC
Old 09-01-2003 | 12:48 PM

Originally posted by SSC
Guess If you have faith in the person/persons doing the jobs for ya then one can live with it. I Only have faith in two people ones me and the others up there.

SSC
That's a shame.
Old 09-01-2003 | 01:25 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by SSC

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reccon engine are usually crap! Ive changed enough to know.
I'm sure a HO engine they build and sell I'm summit Is probably better then thier usuall blend of used a new parts but still it's a Reccon.

www.jasperengines.com/
http://www.jasperengines.com/performance.html#Class%20I
If your going to drop a few bucks on an engine try Jasper, Yea they race a ford and I rag on thier rep all the time But thier operation is 1st class. All new parts and they even use brand spanken new World or DART heads on every V8 engine they build. They also do custom stuff cam RR ect...... dyno sheet included with every engine.
I'll second that. I got Class 1 350, a "010" 4 bolt 350, with new World Products SR heads and a "RV/towing cam", and a factory steel crank for $1200 after core. I beat the $hit out of this engine on a daily basis and after 50K miles it still runs great. Not even a leak!
Old 09-01-2003 | 07:07 PM
IHI
Supreme Member

Originally posted by SSC

SSC
I know exactly where your coming from on doing stuff yourself. When it comes to construction I was literally rasied in it so I have 100% confidence with everything I do. Now I've been to COUNTLESS homes that homies have tried to save money by doing things themselves only to pay me or other contractors to fix what they have screwed up, and they could have saved alot of money and headaches by just hiring it out in the first place. I'm sure most will know what I'm talking about. When it comes to wrenching, heck I'm Mr. Fabricator and do most of the fabbing on our groups cars, but I've never personally built a motor or tranny, even though most of my buddies have-and seeing what happens sometimes just concretes the fact of letting people that do this on a regular basis take care of it. I do not take joy in pulling engines, dropping trannies because of some little thing that I or a buddy may have overlooked. So just like with construction, I personally know where I myself must draw the line to save myself a clusterfuc. of a situation in the future. I've had great luck so far-knock on wood-and it all goes back to getting history on the people performing the work. Just like you have buddies that have done stuff themselves and maybe saved a few bucks, even though they are proud of what they've done, in reality it is shi... and if they would've parted with the little extra cash it could've had a professional result. I know this is a nation wide occurance and those that read this and understand it will know it is true. Believe me, if I had 100% faith in myself I would build a mill, but I'm not that trusting of my abilites when it comes to that aspect.
Old 09-02-2003 | 09:08 PM

Will jasper build me one of the performance motors (stage 1 or 2) even though I live in CA? I noticed on all of their pages they have a disclaimer that says that they are not legal for sale or use in CA, or on any pollution controlled vehicles...? I'm not worried about not passing smog or anything, but just worried if they would even sell me the engine. Thanks.