Organized Drag Racing and Autocross Drag racing and autocross discussions and questions. Techniques, tips, suggestions, and "what will I run?" questions.

Autocross spring rates

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Autocross spring rates

What spring rates are the hot setup for Autocrossing. Please don't tell me to get eibachs or hotchkis springs I need actual spring rate numbers that work. Eibachs or Hotchkis or any other spring package will not work for my application as I am installing screw jacks at all 4 corners.

Thanks for your help
Ric
Old 03-23-2003, 05:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been told that the stock 1LE swaybars and springs were good for autocross. I ran an 88 IROC with the stock bars and springs and did pretty well against newer cars. I now drive an LS1...
Old 03-24-2003, 04:46 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1982 Z28
Engine: LC9
Transmission: AR5
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: Autocross spring rates

Originally posted by Ratchet
What spring rates are the hot setup for Autocrossing. Please don't tell me to get eibachs or hotchkis springs I need actual spring rate numbers that work. Eibachs or Hotchkis or any other spring package will not work for my application as I am installing screw jacks at all 4 corners.
I just installed the Ground Control weight jacker kit and went with 650 front and 150 rear springs. I also have a 36mm hollow front sway bar and just went down to a 19mm rear bar. I did a practice on Saturday with the 21mm rear bar that came with the car, and the car was still a bit too tail happy. My friend Sam Strano (ESP Solo II champ last year, FS Pro Solo champ last year, too) drove the car and also said the rear end was too loose. I did another practice on Sunday with the 19, and now it seems a bit more predictable. I can throttle steer or trail brake w/o getting the back end dancing all over the place. Well, at least not as much. I just have a Torsen "take out" from SLP, so I'm hoping a T2R or something like that will make the car even better.

I also autocross in the STX class so I can't run R-compound tires and of course don't have as much grip (also can't run tires wider than 245).

Edit: I think Sam said the thirdgen he won with in ESP last year (now sold to a local guy) has 850# front springs. Don't remember what's on back.

Last edited by slow305; 03-24-2003 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-25-2003, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanx for the info.

What is the ride like with the 650 lb springs up front. rougher than stock, like stock or like a lumber wagon?

I am surprised that you are experiencing oversteer with that light of a spring in the rear and a heavy spring up front.

What type of shocks are you using and what do you think about the AGX shock and struts from KYB rears 8 settings front 4 settings.

Ric
Old 03-26-2003, 09:14 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1982 Z28
Engine: LC9
Transmission: AR5
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Originally posted by Ratchet
Thanx for the info.

What is the ride like with the 650 lb springs up front. rougher than stock, like stock or like a lumber wagon?
It's pretty close to stock. The rears clunk a little more, but it isn't too bad.

I am surprised that you are experiencing oversteer with that light of a spring in the rear and a heavy spring up front.
I think it comes down to lack of grip from non-R compound tires. My girlfriend's LT1 1LE with R compounds is a whole lot less tail happy. But since I'm using regular street tires (Bridgestone Potenza S-03's), it's tougher to keep the *** end in control. But I think the 19mm rear bar did the trick.

What type of shocks are you using and what do you think about the AGX shock and struts from KYB rears 8 settings front 4 settings.
I have unadjustable Bilsteins that have been revalved by Stranoparts. I don't know how much the revalving costs, though, because the shocks came as-is when I bought the car.

I don't know how the KYB's are with F Bodies, but I had a set on my Sentra SE-R, and they're pretty popular with other people who have the same car. They aren't too bad as long as you don't go too crazy with high spring rates.