Organized Drag Racing and Autocross Drag racing and autocross discussions and questions. Techniques, tips, suggestions, and "what will I run?" questions.

PA's K-member and A-arms

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PA's K-member and A-arms

I wanted to see if anybody in this forum has either the K member or the a-arms for the 3rd gen offered by Performance Automotive.

I have already posted on the "aftermarket questions" board, but I have no success in finding somebody there that owns one.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-13-2003, 05:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 87 Buick GN
Engine: 3.8L (231 cid) V6
Transmission: 200-4R
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt G80/ 3.42
Well I have one. Mild steel K member and a arms with spring perches.

By no means is it a bolt-on, I ran into a couple of snags you can read about here... https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...21#post1164021

Overall I'm satisfied with it. I like the room and weight savings it offers. It's a very durable piece despite what others may have 'heard' who have no experience with it. I drive mine everyday so I can honestly say it's a strong piece.

Here's a few more threads if you wanna read my opinions based on my personal experiences-
https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...61#post1055461
https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...15#post1093215
https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...37#post1125637

I believe kandied91z and jerrywho have one also so you might wanna ask them too.
Old 03-14-2003, 11:25 AM

Ok this is good input. I did get that same reply about the "it might be weak from what I have heard" on the aftermarket product review board. But it was somebody that didn't own one.

Interesting also about the fact that it was not a bolt in application...

Somehow I had the sneaking suspicion that it was not gonna be, and I was prepared for a PITA install. But the benifits overall do seem like they would be really cool.

Thanks for the input.
Old 03-14-2003, 05:02 PM

Whew, man after reading all those posts I am MUCH better informed for my ultimate decision.

I think I need to talk to Candied Z in order to find out what he is doing with his coil overs and what power adders he has in mind.

I want to do a twin turbo some day, so I think that all these space saving chassis parts will be a major benifit for me.

I would definately like to know more about the pros and cons of the coil over setup for sure.
Old 03-20-2003, 03:00 AM
Supreme Member

pros:
room
weight saving
look

cons:
haven't found one yet other than the coilover sleeve will not fit bilsteins.........will fit most others struts that are stock dimensions.

i went with chromoly after alot of decision making mainly because i figured i might as well go as light as possible since i'm doing it and the grade of chromoly they use is very strong. i'm fairly happy with my k-member. mine didn't come powder coated since i had a 3 day rush order put through. as far as fit and finish i had no problems with it.

i also went chromoly with the a arms. they were powdercoated and fit and finish is fine.

the coilover kit is decent as well.........about the same as any other out there. but, it won't fit my bilsteins.......if you are running stock, kyb, koni, tokico, etc. you should be fine. the sleeve is a 2.200 where i need a 2.400 to fit the bilstein HD that i have and finding a sleeve that size is almost impossible.

i had to go coilover because i needed the room for my headers on my setup. if you don't need the room then i'd keep the spring perches. i have no experience with pa racing kmembers with spring perches though.

i'd only recommend the setup to those who really could use the room or are competatively racing. beyond a hell of alot of room and less weight what more would you want one for?

as far as road tech, do a search and you'll be sure to find out what i think of them. their unit has alot more bracing; definately good for stock autox classes. however they don't leave alot of room for header clearance and their company attitute isn't worth a damn. your better off running stock.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:03 PM

I run the PA moly K and control arms

I run the PA moly K and control arms. Outside of the fact that I had to scrounge locally for hardware, it was a bolt in. The header room is excellent, and it saved 88 lbs over the factory K, control arms and steering (I went with the rack and pinion mount option). I sent back an AJE K because it didn't fit. Jason and Vernon did a nice job and delivered it when promised. No complaints.
Old 03-20-2003, 05:42 PM
Supreme Member

are you using the factory spring/strut or coilover 9.0L Firebird?
Old 03-23-2003, 12:40 PM

PA's K-member and A-arms

Kandied91z wrote:
the sleeve is a 2.200 where i need a 2.400 to fit the bilstein HD that i have and finding a sleeve that size is almost impossible...

as far as road tech, do a search and you'll be sure to find out what i think of them. their unit has alot more bracing; definately good for stock autox classes. however they don't leave alot of room for header clearance and their company attitute isn't worth a damn. your better off running stock.

This is too funny...Just so happens I have 2 sets of coilover sleeves for Bilsteins sitting on my shelf, I had a some sets made for me last year. I am sure you would say that you wouldnt buy them from me anyway- Well -I would throw them in the trash before I would sell them to you........because we all know what I think about you.....
Old 03-23-2003, 04:13 PM
Supreme Member

once again adding to your stigma. how did it go............

posted by Roadtech
Half of you guys have no business working on cars let alone have the money to buy my parts......
i don't know why you even bother to keep posting here. take your company and over priced products with your half *** attitude and throw it in the trash with them.

cheers.

Last edited by Kandied91z; 03-23-2003 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-23-2003, 05:03 PM

PA's K-member and A-arms

Wow !!!! Good come back- did you write that all by yourself ?:hail:
Old 03-23-2003, 09:12 PM

People Like You

Kandied91z

You get what you pay for and here are some pics of what that really mean.:hail: :hail:

http://home.attbi.com/~d.houser/ratmobile/index.html

People like you give third gens bad name
Old 03-24-2003, 12:11 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '87 Chev
Engine: 60*V6
Transmission: DY T700
Lets compare PA and Roadtech:

PA K-member/ notice the single bar crossmember design. Very light weight and flimsy. Do you really want your High horsepower motor supported by this sigle bar that can obviously flex under high torque and especially under hard cornering forces. The weight of the motor resting on this plus the lateral strain of cornering forces will flex this unit and your frame rail severely enough to cause havoc on your suspension geometry. You guys that add this unit to your car and want to expect handling improvements had better expect to also develop and custom fabricate your own SSB (Thats short for "Strut Submarine Brace"). That curve design will not hold rigid in hard lateral g's.
Attached Thumbnails PA's K-member and A-arms-pa-km.jpg  
Old 03-24-2003, 12:16 AM
Banned

Now the prototype that Roadtech built.

Notice the double tube support and the heavy use of gussets. need I say more? I think the picture speaks for itself.

P.S. Dear Roadtech, If you are willing to do a duplicate of this design, then you will have an immediate customer. Thank you

Dean
Attached Thumbnails PA's K-member and A-arms-roadtech-km.jpg  

Last edited by AGood2.8; 03-24-2003 at 12:19 AM.
Old 03-24-2003, 02:01 AM

I assume the quality of that product is as good as the quality of the pictures. Looks like it would bend under my normal use. Here is some quality stuff, kid......:

http://home.attbi.com/~d.houser/ratmobile/rat0023.html

Real life aplication:

http://home.attbi.com/~d.houser/ratmobile/rat0013.html

Normal abuse:

http://home.attbi.com/~d.houser/ratmobile/5185.html

Last edited by RatMobile; 03-24-2003 at 02:24 AM.
Old 03-24-2003, 02:31 AM
Banned

Originally posted by RatMobile
I assume the quality of that product is as good as the quality of the pictures. Looks like it would bend under my normal use. Here is some quality stuff, kid......:

Real life aplication:

Normal abuse:

?..... Picture above were taken off of other posts- not my personal picture (So don't harp on me about quality)

I checked your link and it apears you have the same roadtech K-member as the roadtech I put up above- only you opted for the coilover version w/ no spiing perches-fine for dragracing but not for roadracing unless extensive modification is done to the upper struts to handle the constant cornering stress on upper fender sheetmetal. Yours is the same strength as the 2nd unit I posted, only different a-arms.

As for the Kid part, were damn near the same age partner.

Edit: were talking two different uses here - You run massive power but straitline. You are more likely to snap one, where as I run the roundy-round game where lack of flex and geometry change is a bigger deal to me- Yes, I'm less likely to break one, only flex it- but flex is bad for me and irrelevant to you going strait- as long as the *** end of you rail is rigid then your planted fine. (By the way I am related to the late Bob Russo- NHRA exec.)

Last edited by AGood2.8; 03-24-2003 at 02:47 AM.
Old 03-24-2003, 12:05 PM

AGood2.8 wrote:

P.S. Dear Roadtech, If you are willing to do a duplicate of this design, then you will have an immediate customer. Thank you

Sorry but as of this friday all of my tools and jigs are in storage as I have been hired by a large automotive based company. they hired me for my customer service skills !!! I have the jig for sale if you want to buy it.....
Old 03-24-2003, 01:37 PM

AGood2.8,

Nope, was not even referring to you and the kid stuff shot was for candy.

Actually I have the second one made with coil overs. It's a really nice package for having room for headers and a big block.

Ya, I only drive in a straight line, but the first one made is in a road course/drag car.

As they say time will tell!!

I know a Peter Russo, but did not know Bob Russo for NHRA....................
Old 03-25-2003, 10:40 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Road Tech
I have the jig for sale if you want to buy it.....
O.K I'll bite- How much and do I have the rights to produce them as well?
Old 03-25-2003, 11:45 AM

O.K I'll bite- How much and do I have the rights to produce them as well?

send me a private e-mail roadtechonline@yahoo.com

I had it posted but the moderator deleated it......
Old 04-08-2003, 07:24 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1992 RS
Engine: 406 Stealth Ram
Transmission: 700R4
Originally posted by AGood2.8
Now the prototype that Roadtech built.

Notice the double tube support and the heavy use of gussets. need I say more? I think the picture speaks for itself.

Dean
Hey, thats my Vacuum cleaner.. Oh wait a minute.... Thats my K-Member sitting on that vacuum cleaner John, please shoot me an email, I NEED to talk to you. Thanks!