Organized Drag Racing and Autocross Drag racing and autocross discussions and questions. Techniques, tips, suggestions, and "what will I run?" questions.

I've been bit by the bug (my first Autocross ever!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2002 | 09:07 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 00 TA, 91 Formula, 89 RS
Engine: LS1 / 305 / 2.8, respectively
Transmission: T-56 / auto / auto
I've been bit by the bug (my first Autocross ever!)

I just had my first actual track event with my 91 Formula. I went Autocrossing with Corvette Troy here in Ohio, of which my grandparents and uncle are members of (I am 19 years old). I of course raced in X-class automatically since I wasn't even driving a Corvette. There were a few other F-bods there, a fourth-gen 'maro (which I beat!!! My first time to the track. Whee! ) and a souped-up thirdgen 'maro (sweet car). There was also a turbo Porsche. I was proud of myself because we had 10 runs and I only hit a cone on two of the runs, and I have almost zero traction. No spinouts or DNFs or anything (though at one point I burned the crap out of my tires going around a bend ). My grandfather/coach/mentor said he was actually impressed at how well I did, and I would have probably been a few seconds quicker had I had better tires. Just for comparison, my experienced grandfather's best time was around a 39.8, whereas mine was something like 45.2xx, plus one because I hit a cone . My fastest times were the ones when I hit a cone. Figures. The best run was a high 36. Anyhow, it was mounds of fun, and I've been bitten by the Autocross bug. Now I need to start drag.

Of course, one of the coolest parts about watching my Grandpa's Corvette club is...well...watching the Corvettes. It's great to see so many 'Vette's of every generation, Z06's, Z-R1s, classics, stock, modified...everything!

Sorry, I know this was non-tech and all that, but I just wanted to share my first real racing experience. Hope the mods don't mind.
Old 10-14-2002 | 01:40 PM

Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T5 manual
Did you run with the SCCA or was it another organization.
Old 10-14-2002 | 07:56 PM

Welcome to the party.
Old 10-15-2002 | 10:36 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Axoid
Did you run with the SCCA or was it another organization.
Uhh... couldn't tell ya... lol .

It was tons o fun though.
Old 10-15-2002 | 11:01 PM
TGO Supporter

sounds like fun!!
Old 10-16-2002 | 07:44 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by MdFormula350
sounds like fun!!

Anybody who hasn't AutoX'ed yet, do it!
Old 10-16-2002 | 09:44 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '92 RS
I'll second that. I've raced in 5 SCCA Solo2 events, 2 were divisionals, 3 were practices. I raced STU in the prcatice and SM for the divisionals, and even though I new as I signed up that I'd come in last, I didnt care because of the experience I was getting and the fun I was having. Its interesting trying to get a stock suspension car with hard street tires and more horsepower than necessary around a track without spinning or knocking cones, but it sure is a helluva lot fun trying! Hopefully next summer I'll be able to get some autox tires and some suspension upgrades to hang with the guys in my class.
Old 10-17-2002 | 08:14 PM

Car: 1988 camaro
Engine: 350 ci
Transmission: 700r4
Oh the funnest thing is getting that bad boy sideways and not get in trouble for laing rubber BUT kill your tires and time.
I get to go at it this Sunday yay
Old 10-18-2002 | 10:12 AM
Supreme Member

lol yup, around one turn on one run I burned the crap outta my tires, it hurt my time but it was fun, hehe
Old 10-20-2002 | 09:53 PM

Originally posted by FyreLance

Anybody who hasn't AutoX'ed yet, do it!
Hey I live prolly 15 min. from you....New Lebanon. I've been wanting to run on a track. I generally aren't able to pick to many street fights...no one really drives anything around here but rice. Although, I did catch up with some chick not too long ago driving a early 4th gen Z28 on the way to the Dayton Mall. She didn't make me look like I was in reverse, but I did get raped. B!tch slapped by an LT1.....
Anyhow, is it possible to run with you guys sometime?

Last edited by ROC-Z; 10-20-2002 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-21-2002 | 11:03 AM
Supreme Member

Wow, you live in New Lebanon? I go there all the time. What's your name?

I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you came to run with them, but the season's over, not racing again until April.

We went to Kilcare.

Whatchya drive?
Old 10-21-2002 | 11:04 AM
Supreme Member

Nevermind saw the sig, duh.
Old 10-21-2002 | 07:00 PM

My name is Corey Hoke, but I usually just go by Corey ....I kinda' figured the season would be over, but between now and April gives me time to get a new paint job...Kilcare seems cool, and not that far from here- I've just never been there though. I know, I lead a sheltered life.
I was looking at your web page(your old one)- pretty wild your into computer's also! I've never really gotten into software, so maybe you could school me in VB 6 foo. I still putt around with it- either it has a steep learning curve or I'm just retarded. Jury is still out... I do the web- Fireworks and Dreamweaver are still my tools even though I'm *almost* fluent with HTML. No PHP or JavaScript. I own "OverclockersAMD.com", but I haven't gotten any further than the frame work, navigation, and some graphics. Haven't even bought server space yet..I'm mainly a hardcore hardware nerd though, which I use to justify my software ignorance. This thread shows what happens when I get started.....
It looks like your the class below me...graduated '02 right? I served my time till '01. Funny enough, I went to CTC also...well if two weeks count.
::Flashing back to my Sophmore year::::::::::::
See my dad owns a plumbing shop, and I thought I wanted to continue doing plumbing by trade, considering I've been doing it in the summers' since 8th grade. So I thought it'd be cake to go to CTC for plumbing. Junior year rolls around, and I find myself in a plumbing program full of retards. The Seniors in Plumbing were cool, and so was this kid that I went to Dixie with....but that program wasn't for me. I tried to persue my second avenue with that popular hardware tech prep (can't recall the name), but it was too late. Completely full & still zero openings even after 2 weeks...so I came back and graduated at Dixie. The end.
:::Projector stops playing and lights slowly brighten, revealing the present day::::::
In short, I'm still Plumbing and hating every minute of it. Oh well...
Anyways, so did you go to race at Kilcare or just go to watch??

[QUOTE]Originally posted by FyreLance
Wow, you live in New Lebanon? I go there all the time. What's your name?

I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you came to run with them, but the season's over, not racing again until April.

We went to Kilcare.

Whatchya drive?
[/QUOTE

Last edited by ROC-Z; 10-21-2002 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-21-2002 | 10:13 PM

Wow, some people from my neck of the woods. I'm about 10mins away at Wright State. I've seen the cars from troy's corvette club in some parades and carshows in Piqua. Defenatly some cool cars. I've been to kilkare about 4 times this summer, but I didn't know they had autocross there. Can anybody go, or do you have ot be in the club? Autocross sounds like a lot of fun, and I've been looking for a place to try it out. It'd be cool to check out your rides sometime.
later
Nick
Old 10-22-2002 | 10:39 AM
Supreme Member

OMG, I just typed for friggin' ever and it didn't post and I lost everything!!! Let's see what I can remember... :: sigh ::

ROC-Z:

I kinda' figured the season would be over, but between now and April gives me time to get a new paint job...

Hehe, I know what you mean. I plan on parking the 'bird for the winter and doing bodywork. That is, if I ever get my garage cleaned out...

I was looking at your web page(your old one)- pretty wild your into computer's also! I've never really gotten into software, so maybe you could school me in VB 6 foo. I still putt around with it- either it has a steep learning curve or I'm just retarded. Jury is still out... I do the web- Fireworks and Dreamweaver are still my tools even though I'm *almost* fluent with HTML. No PHP or JavaScript. I own "OverclockersAMD.com", but I haven't gotten any further than the frame work, navigation, and some graphics. Haven't even bought server space yet..I'm mainly a hardcore hardware nerd though, which I use to justify my software ignorance. This thread shows what happens when I get started.....

Yup, definitely into computers. I took Cisco at CTC (yep, graduated '02) and am currently an "IT Technician" (fancy word for "Computer Guy") at Science Applications International Corporation (SAIC). I have 10 or 12 computers in my house at a time, it's really rather sad, lol. I still have that old webpage you are talking about, but the one that I replaced the "WWW" button with and the one in my sig is for a new webpage me and my friend AJ are working on, http://www.motorsportconnect.com . It opens November 1st, you should definitely check it out! That's cool that you own that domain. My current machine is an AMD Athlon XP1800+ with a GeForce 4 Ti-4400. Whee! My only overclocked machine is a Celeron 433 upped to 488MHz, though. It wasn't terribly stable at the ~541MHz I originally tried.

Anyways, so did you go to race at Kilcare or just go to watch??

Yeah, Kilcare is where I raced the 'bird at with Corvette Troy.

92superram:

Wow, some people from my neck of the woods. I'm about 10mins away at Wright State.

Wow, sweet! I'm just down the street from Wright State right now. I work at SAIC on Colonel Glenn Highway, next to National road, between the on-ramps to 675, and diagonally across from Hardee's and Waffle House.

I've seen the cars from troy's corvette club in some parades and carshows in Piqua. Defenatly some cool cars.
AGREED! :hail: :hail: :hail: I hope to be a member some day, hehe. Yeah, my grandpa in the club has the '90 which he races, a '94 convertible, and a '63 split-window Stingray (along with an '89 2.8 RS, and a 99 Camaro SS. ), and my uncle has a C4 I think, uncertain of the year, and a modded '74 which he races; I believe it runs mid 13's.

I've been to kilkare about 4 times this summer, but I didn't know they had autocross there. Can anybody go, or do you have ot be in the club? Autocross sounds like a lot of fun, and I've been looking for a place to try it out. It'd be cool to check out your rides sometime.

I don't think you have to be in Corvette Troy to race with them. I wasn't... I raced in X-class for the fun of it. There was also a Porsche and a fourth-gen and other non-Vette's there. Autocross was definitely lotsa fun.

I'd like to check out your guys' rides too. I know Project 85 2.8 bird is from Fairborn, and I think there's a few other locals... Me and him have been talking about getting together but haven't done so yet... I think it would be sweet for us all to get together and chill sometime! I don't personally know any other thirdgen enthusiasts really, outside of the internet.

You know, Kilcare has their Test & Tune night on Thursdays I believe, I've never been there (never drag raced in my life) but maybe sometime we could all meet down there and run our cars and just hang out and check out each others' rides. That would be sweet! Of course, I don't know how much longer that's going on for the year if it even still is... I wish we had a regional board. :: hint hint nudge nudge, mods :: . I'll moderate! Hehe.

Whew, that was a lot of writing!
Old 10-22-2002 | 11:31 AM

This is the last week for thursday test and tune at Kilkare. If any locals are up for it, we could meet somewhere and head down. MY goal was to break into the 12's before the end of this season, and I'm always up for meating fellow thirdgenners. The rules, and guidelines are at www.kilkare.com. If you will run faster than 14.0, you must wear a helmet.
Old 10-22-2002 | 11:37 AM
Supreme Member

Doh! Well I can't make it this Thursday. That sucks.

12's? Oooooh... I'd be embarrassed to run after you, hehe. I have no idea what my 305 TPI runs....

I found another local, ShiftyCapone
Old 10-22-2002 | 12:26 PM

That sucks man, I guess you'll have to wait till the summer. It would still be cool to have a small thirdgen meet some around here. If anybody else is interested, let me know.
Old 10-22-2002 | 04:50 PM

Originally posted by 92superram
This is the last week for thursday test and tune at Kilkare. If any locals are up for it, we could meet somewhere and head down. MY goal was to break into the 12's before the end of this season, and I'm always up for meating fellow thirdgenners. The rules, and guidelines are at www.kilkare.com. If you will run faster than 14.0, you must wear a helmet.

Great idea 92superram....I don't know any enthusiests outside the web either, so I think it'd be great to get some guys together and twist a few off at kilkare or elsewhere. Looks like your car is well endowed with mod's!! I'm a Tuned Port fanatic, so I would like to see your 'Tuned Port on steriods' run. Just might be some motivation to get me to mod mine:hail:...Like FyreLance, it'd be impossible for me to make this Thursday, but I would definitely like to get something arranged and attend if possible. Any ideas?
Old 10-22-2002 | 09:03 PM

Well, I'll be there thursday. I don't want to miss my last chance for the year. I am even more excited about trying autox. btw...how old are you guys? I'm a freshman here.
Old 10-23-2002 | 08:19 AM
Supreme Member

19 years old, starting college winter quarter.
Old 10-23-2002 | 04:01 PM

Are you starting here at Wright State?
Old 10-24-2002 | 08:22 AM
Supreme Member

Nah, Sinclair.
Old 10-25-2002 | 05:29 PM

Originally posted by 92superram
Well, I'll be there thursday. I don't want to miss my last chance for the year. I am even more excited about trying autox. btw...how old are you guys? I'm a freshman here.
Sorry it took me a while to get back here...been working from 6:30am till sundown trying to finish this job (Enon Rt. 444 Mcdonald's) before deadline. I'm in skilled trades as a water delivery systems integrator (Plumber - see above post)..but to answer your question; I'm not going to college currently- although I did graduate high school class of 2001...I'm 19.
Old 10-28-2002 | 02:25 PM

Well, someone just name the time and place, and I'll be there.