Organized Drag Racing and Autocross Drag racing and autocross discussions and questions. Techniques, tips, suggestions, and "what will I run?" questions.

Pro Tree?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2002, 10:51 AM
IHI
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 firebird with 98 firebird interi
Engine: pump gas 427sbc Dart Lil M 13.5:1
Transmission: Oldani TH400 w/ BTE 9" convertor
Axle/Gears: 31 spline Moser/full spool/4.11Rich
Pro Tree?

Yesterday they had a import vs domestic thing goin at the track but they limited it to EFI cars only, that sucked. Anyways one of the guys decided lets just have our own class comp for carb guys, we'll run a .500 pro tree, dailed .1 faster than your best of 3 runs, then they used the ladder system for pairing and they did run with the handicap dail, so it was more heads up than brkt racing. This was the first time I've personally run a pro tree and WOW-guys on ESPN make it look easy. First time I staged it was like BOOM-GO! first R/T was like a .714 then the rest were .600-.625R/T, I just could not get down in the 5's. It was fun while it lasted but then we got rained out, I got my "entry fee" back and made $5 for 1 run in the elimins before rainout, if you guys ever get a chance to run the pro tree, stage deeper than usual and be ready cause it can sure make ya look bad, damn that was alot of fun.
Old 09-29-2002, 04:38 PM

Received 136 Likes on 114 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86
Pro tree's are hard. You were lucky to have a .500 pro tree. What you see on TV is a pro tree at .400. You need a very quick reacting car to cut a good light on a .400 pro tree. I'd like to try one some day just to see how quick my car reacts. I've been cutting low .5xx lights on a full tree for the last 2 weeks.

You almost have to anticipate when the lights come on to get a good reaction time. If you wait until they're lit, you're too late.
Old 09-29-2002, 06:25 PM
IHI
Supreme Member

That was the hard part anticipating, since this was my first time with it, I kept watching the cars before me to see exactly when the lights would react when the final stage light was lit. I couldn't seem to find the "pattern" since our tree is activated by the guy in the middle holding the button, are all the tracks that way or is the pro tree usually computer activated? Another thing that would have helped is if I had a 2 step hooked up and went off a button, going off the foot it just took that much longer for the brain to send the signal all the way down, and since we got rained out I did'nt get a chance to stage deeper than usual to test out my theory and see if it would've dropped the R/T down a little. Hell of all the cars in the open comp race the best R/T was like a .590, we just never run it down here so it was new to everyone, and it was neat to mix it up a little. The guy that lined it up is going to see what the weather holds for some week in October and is going to try and get more cars signed up and try it again, sure makes a difference when points & rounds are'nt on the line cause you can let it all hang out and if ya lose, it don't matter cause it was still fun. You know how that goes! Are you guys all done up there then for the year?, how'd ya end up.
Old 09-29-2002, 07:22 PM

Received 136 Likes on 114 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86
Our last points race of the year was today. After 2 test and tune rounds we had a rain delay. 4 hours of trying to dry the track between brief showers and they finally cancelled the race. It was real cold, 9c, very low barometric pressure and the track was cold. Not a good day for racing anyway.

That leaves me in 18th place in Race City points and 13th place in CDRA points. Not all racers belong to the CDRA. We have our own points race. I missed 2 races.

Next weekend is the last drag race for the season. It's a Big Buck Race. 2 classes, electronics and no electronics. $100 entry fee and based on a 30 car field in each class, minimum payout is $1500.

After that the track is closed for the season until May 2003. 7 months or so of off season to get ready. We're supposed to get snow tonight but it will be gone by Tuesday.
Old 09-29-2002, 07:43 PM
IHI
Supreme Member

Congrats on the points and good luck next week wheather pending, my *** I can't believe your getting snow up there already. We had our last points race Sep 14 & 15, came up 7th in class, and that was missing 5 races-looking back I should've at least paid entry fee and took the 10 points that would have put me up a couple spots, and if I would have went even 1-2 rounds in those 5 I would have been up fighting for 1-3 spot in class. Had issuses with Summit when I built the new motor and it took a month to get my cam, ordered 1st one too big for my gearing, sent it back and 3 weeks later new one showed up, ended up getting all my shipping costs refunded for everything I ordered that month and 10% off the cam, but still pissed me off, casue I had everything to build the motor except the cam-the 1 thing needed before we could bolt everything together. At those temps they must really keep you guys filing down the track to keep some temp in it, otherwise traction would be a joke. We had a couple night races like that and our track is terrible about "down" time, and the way they run some of the races. It's nothing to have 20-30 minutes between 1 class finishing up and the next starting. Then when we have oil downs, most of the idiots keep going right down the center as far as they can instead of pulling over and then they have 2 guys trying to clean up the mess, average down time for oil clean-up full 1/4 is 1.5-2 hours, everytime. Now the "rookie" year is over I'm hopein next year, less parts breakage, I'll be fighting for 1st or 2nd. the guys that took that this year are brothers who have been racing since 1990.
Again, good luck next week, and tell me where ya get your "drag racing tire chains" from maybe I could get a new event going down here.