Organized Drag Racing and Autocross Drag racing and autocross discussions and questions. Techniques, tips, suggestions, and "what will I run?" questions.

400 hp TBI?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2002, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
400 hp TBI?

soon i will begin a project car. i am seeking information regarding not only the feasibility of such a project, but any parts reccomendations, links, specs, or advise that you'd be willing to submit.

i would like to take a '90 or '91 RS (with 305 TBI) and upgrade/rebuild the entire car. the motor will need to produce 400hp+ to satisfy my "hp hunger." i am contemplating getting a '93-'96 camaro with a traction-control system and a 6-speed manual transmission to intstall into my RS. is this plan feasible? (will the tranny and rear-end fit? will the driveshaft from either car fit? etc...). 4.11 gears would be my choice gear, i believe.

my goal with this car is to have a vehicle to "play" with. it will not be a daily driver, and i can put near 15K into the car, but i will not be able to afford, (i don't think) gas at 3-5 mpg. i want to be able to drive into town, embarrass the hell out of almost any car that wants to try me, and then drive home. i'd also be interested in a larger gas tank, if necessary.

one more question to bore you with: at 400hp+ will i need chassis stiffners? i am also very ignorant when it comes to suspension, and need reccomndations as to a suspension that will allow the car to hook well and still maintain extreme handling capabilities. (i'm more concerned with the handling than the hooking, if that's a concern).

i appreciate all the help, and thank you, in advance for the help.
Sincerely
Chris
Old 05-13-2002, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As far as the TBI mods go, Your best bet would be to post a question about it on the TBI Board HERE

Its sounds you have want a mix between what my 2 cars are. I have one limited street, carburated, 4000RPM stalled Z28 with a drag-only suspension complete slicks out back and 4" front skinnyies. My RS is geared towards handling, with lots of suspension mods, 17 X 9.5 front/ 17 X 12" rear wheels, and has TBI, but it is pretty slow, Fast as far as L03's go, but still lackluster. As far as handling goes, It is very fun to drive, and it gets about 18-20 MPH, but I am about to put a slightly warmed over 327 w/ an LT1 cam, and decent heads, so it will be better, but way less than 400HP range.

About suspension, with 400HP you should definetly get subframe connectors, tubular LCA's, Panhard Bar, and Torque Arm. LCA Relocation Brackets are a must for traction. A good set of springs would be in order, I have Hotchkis on my RS, and I would recommend them, (mainly because they are the only aftermarket I have experience with) I put WS6 36mm front/24mm rear sway bars w/ polyurethane bushings, Bilstein struts/shocks. A Strut tower brace is a good mod, along with the "wonderbar" frame brace that came on IROC's.

Obviously, this post would be huge if you got every question that you answered at once, so basically, just do searches on each board, ask questions, and check out links and web pages. Usually guys that take time to build them, and post info about their cars put a lot of time into them, and you can get a lot of ideas and see what brands most people are using on their cars. Feel free to see mine below, I have almost every mod that I have done to both cars, and I hope the page can be of use to anyone who checks it out. But anyway, Welcome to the thirdgen, and good w/ your project!