NW Indiana and South Chicago Suburb Looking for club members to have gatherings, cruises, and to help each other out.

WTK: Local engine builder to central Ill.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 10:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 658 Likes on 558 Posts
WTK: Local engine builder to central Ill.

It's not like I have a high dollar race engine to build but I'd like to know who in the area (Tinley Park, Ill) could build a short block to my specification. Gen 1 SBC 377-383.
Simple really with a spec for a forged 4340 crank, decent rods and choice of piston. Someplace that could provide a core would be easiest although a fully machined (except for a final hone) Dart SHP block isn't hard to come by for decent dollars.
Some of the mail order stuff or larger on-line builders have what I see to be pretty good pricing but the choice of internals isn't 100% of what I'm after. An example would be the standard forged reciprocating assembly with a 2618 forged piston whereas I'm more inclined to choose a hypereutectic. Same thing with bearing clearences.
I don't want some builder to be insulted if I want to alter their spec.
I would suppose that there's a pretty good selection of reputable builders around.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:47 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: SLOW carbed ls
Transmission: TH400 with brake, 8" PTC converter
Axle/Gears: moser 9" 4.11
Re: WTK: Local engine builder to central Ill.

i have THEE best chicagoland engine builder with an account setup. Local speed shop that will build it right, he's done over 20 engines for me with no hiccups at all. They only provide cores if they build the engine, but it should be no problem. You definitely want a forged piston, it'll be lighter and hold up better in the engine. If you're in the area I could sit you down with the owner and talk details.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:05 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by xpndbl3
i have THEE best chicagoland engine builder with an account setup. Local speed shop that will build it right, he's done over 20 engines for me with no hiccups at all. They only provide cores if they build the engine, but it should be no problem. You definitely want a forged piston, it'll be lighter and hold up better in the engine. If you're in the area I could sit you down with the owner and talk details.
I KNEW you would come out of the woodwork with a suggestion and I like the sounds of it.
Problem is, I won't be back in Orland Park until the last week in August. At that time I was hoping to be able to pick up either all the parts I'll need to build it here (where I have an excellent builder that I've used for years) or (better still) an assembled short block ready for my heads and cam.
How can this work via long distance? I have a preliminary spec I've been putting together (Yes, it includes a hypereutectic piston however I'm open to a convincing arguement from a pro) and am ready to pull the trigger on a brand new GM block, aftermarket crank, rods and pistons.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: SLOW carbed ls
Transmission: TH400 with brake, 8" PTC converter
Axle/Gears: moser 9" 4.11

use a seasoned block so its already shifted due to heat cycles. I would run 4340 forged components and forged pistons, save the weight, they're more durable etc. I don't know if he'll take a payment from someone far away or not, or how that would work. Then again, I've never met you to vouch for you either to back the cash if it doesn't go through I do know that he likes to install the cams and heads usually to check all the clearances of the engine to make sure it's 100% assembled correct for any issues that may pop up. This also includes the perfect length pushrods etc.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:17 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by xpndbl3
use a seasoned block so its already shifted due to heat cycles. I would run 4340 forged components and forged pistons, save the weight, they're more durable etc. I don't know if he'll take a payment from someone far away or not, or how that would work. Then again, I've never met you to vouch for you either to back the cash if it doesn't go through I do know that he likes to install the cams and heads usually to check all the clearances of the engine to make sure it's 100% assembled correct for any issues that may pop up. This also includes the perfect length pushrods etc.
This isn't so much about how to do it but more about how to get it done.
There's an economy for me to pick up my parts Stateside. I'd like to see if there's a savings into having a local shop either assemble my collection or parts or build something out of their catalog.
Here's an example.
http://www.coasthigh.com/12344-PS-C3...ps-c383-sb.htm
That's not exactly what I'm after but it's a starting point for discussions.
It would only be a short block. The top end parts I have are sitting in my shop and the final assembly is something I'll take care of on my own.
I have pricing for most of the components as well as alternatives. I'm very interested in seeing how your guys stack up and I really appreciate your offer to help.
As for never having met me...I should have gone to 3rd Gen Fest like I wanted. Then you would know what a great guy I am.
Thanks again.