NW Indiana and South Chicago Suburb Looking for club members to have gatherings, cruises, and to help each other out.

Back On All Cylinders!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 08:54 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA Trans sold :(
Engine: 350 TPI L98 (B2L)
Transmission: TH700 R-4
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Back On All Cylinders!

omg, i can't believe it..my car is running back to normal..and i'm sheading tears of joy...my car is back and alive..! up to full song and running on all 8 cylinders the way it should be...

today after work was done, i decided to finish my wet compression testing on the passager side cylinders...and then test the injectors resistance and fuel injector balance test...even though i already tested this out before...and thought hell with it and do it over again...

after taking off the #4 cylinder plug off, i noticed there was a line crack on the plug...i started putting my plug socket on the plug and the plug broke in half....and i was like what the hell happen here...and i'm like how could of this happen, i've taken all these plugs out already before and cleaned them out and there was no sight of a broken plug of any of the plugs.., i can't see this being the problem..what is this all about...so after installing a new plug..and doing the oil change on the car..i started up and VROOM the car was like alive again and i couldn't believe it! i was like doing double takes..and looking around to see if i left a vacuum line out because this thing was running strong all over again...no joke, after driving it home, the hesitation at idle is gone, the lack of accleration isn't noticable anymore..and it's practically perfect like the L98 i known to love!
i was so happy i put my metallica CD and played the song "whiskey in the jar" over and over again till i was home...

you all have no idea how frusterated i was after all this time, the pain, the agony, .....having doubts and my ablities of being an ASE tech, thinking i suck for a mechanic..that i can solve other people car problems but not my own.....i knew it too that in the back of my mind i thought it was something simple and small..that was causing this problem all along..
but now it's all in the back of my mind and now i'm looking forward to a better life for my car, and it's performance..
BTW: i also realize that the new ECM is still in my car....tommarow i'm gonna put back the old one in and see if that module isn't the problem if it is..i have no choice but to use the new one....
i hope it's still good...the old one..because i'll save like 200 bucks on it..by not replacing it...
well see tommarow
Old 10-22-2003, 09:30 PM

i shoulf of told you to check the plugs and do a full tune up LoL stupi me... of well i'm doing my fair share of stupid sh*t to. i was workgin on my friends 1989 GMC Jimmy 1500 put on headers, new intake and new head gaskets ( who only replaces ONE head gasket....you know dame well the other one will just go out not long after) anyways after going @%$@#% for 10 mines cuz someone used ROL gaskets and FEL-PRO on the other side and then after lokking at then i saw one was thicker then the other i clamed done... anyways. i got ti all back together all i have to do now is set vavle lash and but it back into timing...

i was stupid and didn't mark where the HEI was LoL
Old 10-22-2003, 09:52 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA Trans sold :(
Engine: 350 TPI L98 (B2L)
Transmission: TH700 R-4
Axle/Gears: 3.27
well i done the tune up on my car when i had the heads redone...no way was i gonna put back old plugs into the car...
it's just one of those mishaps where new parts even when new will become crap....so it's something i probably over looked at..
Old 10-23-2003, 02:12 PM
Moderator/TGO Supporter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1997 Z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Congrats RC, i am glad it all worked out for you.

You should fill me in on some of these car shows you go to. You always seem to know where they are.

See ya around
Old 10-23-2003, 02:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 TransAm GTA
Engine: One sweet modified 355 TPI.
Transmission: The kind that shifts....
Congrats on figuring out what was happening Raul. At least you've got the tools to figure it out. Any way I can squeeze some scanner time in to check my TPS voltage? Its a PITA making those extensions to use a stupid volt meter.
Old 10-23-2003, 04:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 GTA, 91 Formula, 89 TTA
Engine: all 225+ RWHP
Transmission: all OD
Axle/Gears: Always the good ones
use a couple of paper clips and back probe it bill :-)

just dont mangle the weather pack connectors

Later
Jeremy

or next time we get together let me know and i can bring diacom along for the ride
Old 10-23-2003, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by 3.8TransAM
use a couple of paper clips and back probe it bill :-)

just dont mangle the weather pack connectors

Later
Jeremy

or next time we get together let me know and i can bring diacom along for the ride
or just be like tim.........use a fork!