Northern California Discussion board for Northern and Central California.

Can I get your opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 11:35 AM
Tpx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1982+1988 Z28 Camaros
Engine: 1982=350 carb 1988=383 Carb
Transmission: 1982=4 speed T-10 1988=6 speed T56
Axle/Gears: 1982=stock
Can I get your opinions?

I know this isn't thirdgen related but I wanted some opinions on this truck and if anyone knows if the motor's fubar or not. For the price (he's asking 750) I think it's a great buy, but then again I might not know the tricks he could be using to hide the flaws. I would rather not drive over there until I could get some tips on what to look for in a '95 truck, and what this thing is worth. Here's the craigslist ad and here's an email the guy sent me with more info:

http://humboldt.craigslist.org/cto/1125888995.html

Email Info:

I just recieved the truck a persons son went out to clam beach with it and tried to cross the little river he went the wrong route and sank the front end into the water no water damage in the cab it stalled the motor and he went to start it up while in the water so I think water got into the motor and wont run who knows what is wrong with the motor could be small not sure to tell you..Its stick 4x4 long bed the body is in good shape little tear in the drivers seat. 140, miles on the od. elec everything. I think someone needs to take the spark plugs out and turn the motor by hand and drain the oil then replace the plugs and air filter check the other fulids and then turn key it may fire up or if not then it could be a bent push rod which is top end and directly under the valve cover alittle time it could be a good truck all smog is there everything else works. Or worse case pull the motor and pick one up for 200 300 bucks and have a friend do a engine swap everything else will bolt right up big block 460 1995 fule injected. If your interested I will let it go for 750. as is.... thanks loren
Old 04-22-2009, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '79 Camaro; '84 Z28
Engine: 350; none
Transmission: TH-350, 2500 stall; none
Axle/Gears: posi, 3.08; disc, 3.23
Re: Can I get your opinions?

This truck could easily go either way depending on how it isn't starting. It could be a matter of pulling plugs and draining water from the cylinders, and replacing the oil then she fires up and drives fine. There may have been some electrical damage that needs to be fixed; computers, modules, sensors, or even just drying out and cleaning distributor parts. Or the motor could be shot. Don't be fooled by his 200 to 300 bucks price for a junkyard motor. Most usable small blocks come from junkyards for close to 1K, and you will easily spend another 500 replacing all of the misc parts that should be done on a new engine. He is not clear what engine it has in it (I would find out for sure), but a swap from a small block (302 or 351) to a big block (460) is a lot more complicated than he makes it sound. For one the mounts ARE different, and will not simply bolt together. I would try to get more info from the guy on the truck itself, or at least make a trip to check it out. $750 is not a horrible price (I would see if he would take $500 or less in cash), but it really comes down to how much work would you be willing to put into it. From the sound so far, it could be a $50 fix and you would have a great truck, or it may be a whole motor, it's hard to call at this point.

BTW, I would change the differential fluids, and the transmission fuild as well, they are no water proof. Re-packing the bearings wouldn't be a bad idea either. It's just stuff that off-roaders do on a regular basis when driving in wet conditions.

Hope that helped a little. Me, I would go for it, but start offering him a lot less, that's just how I buy my vehicles though.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:47 PM
Tpx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1982+1988 Z28 Camaros
Engine: 1982=350 carb 1988=383 Carb
Transmission: 1982=4 speed T-10 1988=6 speed T56
Axle/Gears: 1982=stock

Thanks for the thoughtful reply I really appreciate it.

I was thinking more about it since I posted and I've gotten to thinking that if the water was salt water vs. fresh water then I'm in for a lot more trouble then it would appear. I've driven by the place he talks about where the truck got stuck, and It's pretty far from the actual beach water so I'm inclined to believe it's fresh water from the ground not salt water from the ocean. If that's the case, then fresh water doesn't mean much trouble. New wires+connectors on most things, check the electrical system, pull the motor and go through it, repack bearings, basically like it rained upside down.

If it's salt water then all sorts of problems come to mind, rust and corrosion at the forefront. I'm thinking if it's salt water then he probably turned it in to this insurance and it could possibly be a salvage title. I'm not sure at this point, I think i'll shoot him another email and ask about the water.

If this truck takes a grand to fix up and I buy it for 500 then I'm happy, but if it's going to be a nightmare of issues then I'd rather leave it where it sits. Anyhow more responses are welcome
Old 04-23-2009, 09:43 AM

If it hasn't been very long since it was sunk in salt water, it's nothing a good preaure washing can't get rid of. However if the corosion has already started, it's better for him to sell this thing for parts. It's not like this is some priceless classic or anything, those trucks are a dime a dozen up here.

Sounds like you've got a good grasp on what lies ahead for you on this truck, and even like you are willing to go further than most. Unfortunately the true cost can't really be known until it is finished, just like anything else. I've had purchases like this go both ways, one car was truely a $5 fix (I got it for a carton of cigarettes, and a case of beer) then I sold it for 3K. And yet another truely needed to be hauled off to the dump, but I didn't accept that until I had almost 4K into it. Fortunately I was able to trade that one off.

If you feel comfortable with it, go for it. Enjoy the learning experiences.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:55 AM

Car: 1987 Camaro Z28
Engine: 350 5.7L
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: Curently 3.43

it's better for him to sell this thing for parts. It's not like this is some priceless classic or anything, those trucks are a dime a dozen up here.

Its a Ford lol
Old 04-25-2009, 08:44 AM

Hey bud, in case you are still thinking about this pickup, I did a little digging over my weekend. I found that around here where four wheel drive is needed, trucks like that can go for anywhere between 2 and 8 thousand depending on condition, powertrain, and optional equipment. Of course pure junk is way less, and modified trucks can be more. If this project ends up costing you, at the most, roughly the bottom end of this scale you will be coming out ahead. At least if you get this thing cleaned up and running sweet for less than 2K, you could probably sell it off for a small profit. Assuming of course the title is clear.