North East Region Regional Board for the North East. Topics like local car shows, cruise nights, good mechanics, machine shops, and so on.

Garage got flooded with my Camaro in it! Need suggestions!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC-Z
Engine: 420HP ZZ4 350
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 4:11's
Garage got flooded with my Camaro in it! Need suggestions!

Hey guys, I live here in upstate NY. Yesterday and last night we had a bad rain storm come through and did alot of flooding in my area with alot of evacuations. I store my Camaro in a storage garage (which has never flooded the 3 years I have been putting it in there) beings I dont drive her that much only every now and then. Well, this morning when I got up I wasn't feeling warm and fuzzy with all the flooding happening around so I went down to check on it and when I got there I could tell there had been water in there. When I opened the garage door I seen that probably 10 inches of my car cover was wet and at this point I knew I was in trouble so I opened the drivers door and yup the whole interior is soaked, seats and all. Under the car cover and the walls was a dirt line that kind of gave me a indication on the level the water was at. Now, it did not reach the dash or anything but was enough to soak the seats. I called my insurance company and there sending someone out to look at the damage in a couple of days. Here is my question, what should I do in the mean time? Is there more damage then just the interior? I just can't believe this has happened! I have spent so much time and money on this car. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Old 09-08-2011, 01:46 PM

Re: Garage got flooded with my Camaro in it! Need suggestions!

i would check the fluids - trans , oil , brake etc to make sure nothing creeped in before you start it .
i would also get that interior dry as quickly as possible , open it up , fans if you can , if it will run run the heater .

i see you are in endicott im from the area and this is the worst flood on record- you're lucky it didnt take the whole car !
Old 09-08-2011, 02:01 PM

Worst flood on record is right man!! This is crazy!! How would I tell if water got in the tranny and what not.? I plan on just tearing all the carpet out and replacing it at this point. But I don't know. I don't think trying to dry it is going to do any good beings it so wet. Do you think I can save it by drying it up and will it ever be the same?
Old 09-08-2011, 02:01 PM
Supreme Member

Just an fyi, we just lost our Dodge magnum due too flooding, the insurance company said once it gets to the level of the seats they just total them out. Too many long term hassles with the electronics. I drove the car for a few days, did notice the oil pressure was up a bit (most likely water) and on the third day the dash started going crazy. All this rain really blows, lost a ton of things in the house too. At least my garage is on a hill.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:26 PM

you may need to wait for the ins. people to look at it but taking the seats and carpet/padding out will be much better. they shouldnt be ruined just use a carpet shampoo and a pressure washer and alow them to dry. i would still get it drying out as quick as possible

as far as the fluids check the dipsticks to see if theres any separation of water and oil. the brakes would probably be harder to detect but they should be sealed up pretty good to begin with?
if it were my car , i would just change the oil and trans fluid/filter , maybe even the rear diff fluid - waay cheaper than a new transmission.

also is your exhaust bolted on ? if so you may want to unbolt it and drain anything that may have gotten in there.

-was it river water or just storm run-off? .....in west corners ?
Old 09-08-2011, 02:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42

engine and tranny vents are high enough your safe, rear end fluid should be changed.

remove that carpet and jute padding, that jute is a spongue and will hold moisture forever. Why these cars floors rust out, its from the insdie out.
That jute padding was an awful idea.

You can knock out the floor drain plugs in the rear if need be while at it if you want to hose it out..

Id have the interior set in the hot sun for days to cook it well after you rug doctor it as it could of been sewage water that got soaked in.

mold and rust is your first chore to go after, don't let it sit in the garage all closed up. Lots of air n sun to cook it. It iwll get funky quick if not.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42

Oh and I wouldn't wait for the ins guy to start on it, last thing u want is for him to total it out for lowest blue book cause he think the sewer smeling interior needs all replace which would cost more then the lowest bluebook value.

THey love to just write stuff off.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:53 PM

Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate it. I went to the garage and checked all the fluids and the oil and tranny fluid was fine (no bubles or seperation) I called a place that details cars called window condition located down the road from me and they told me they could suck the water out and detail it to where I would never know it happened, there good people there and told me they have done this before. So I got her running and just dropped it off and they have it sitting in the garage with the doors open and fans blowing all around as I type this, so i'm pretty sure it should be fine. I will update you on how it goes when it gets done. Thanks again!!
Old 09-08-2011, 05:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 Chevy Camaro Iroc-Z
Engine: just an empty hole. LS1 coming soon
Transmission: nothing there either. T-56 soon!
Axle/Gears: soon Moser 9 bolt

Sorry to hear about this man. The weathers just been crazy this past month. Storm after storm. Hope everything works out fine in the end though. Best of luck.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:36 PM

Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: pending install 383 tpi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.27

make sure if they want to total it you fight for it back or fight to keep ot from being junk
Old 09-08-2011, 05:45 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 5.0 TBI L03 V8
Transmission: Rebuilt 700R4 W/ Corvette shift kit
Axle/Gears: 2:73 open

Weather has been crazy this whole year. Record setting Super Tornadoes and Tornado Outbreaks, Record setting teperatures, drought, tropical storms, fire storms. It's been crazy. We haven't seen a good rain in I'd have to say 6 months down here in TX. Last time we even got a sprinkle was three weeks ago.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 91 R/S , 89 dodge p/u
Engine: L31 GM crate re-cammed , 318
Transmission: T-5 , 4 speed auto
Axle/Gears: 3.42 , ?

hope you took lots & lots & lots of pics. before you moved it . the ins. co. i'm sure will give you a ton of bovine fecal matter (B/S) if you don't have pics. to back it up . best of luck .
Old 09-08-2011, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by UNCLE TOM
hope you took lots & lots & lots of pics. before you moved it . the ins. co. i'm sure will give you a ton of bovine fecal matter (B/S) if you don't have pics. to back it up . best of luck .
I did take some photos. If this detailing place I stated about can do what they say I'm going to just call and cancell the claim with the insurance company.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by shortyskater
Sorry to hear about this man. The weathers just been crazy this past month. Storm after storm. Hope everything works out fine in the end though. Best of luck.
Thanks man!! I will let you guys know after they do there thing.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:13 PM

you may want to check if you do end up making a claim if it will brand your title as a flood
Old 09-08-2011, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by ironjet
you may want to check if you do end up making a claim if it will brand your title as a flood
I'm sure it will. That's why I went the route I did because I'm trying to avoid filing a claim at all cost.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 Iroc
Engine: 350tpi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, unsure of gears yet

if they total it buy it back and do what SKELITOR117 said
Old 09-14-2011, 09:36 PM

how did you make out?